Switching effects your credit score?

Options
just a word of warning to those who regularly switch, I have just found out that your credit score is affected in a negative way everytime you switch, (or at least it as with my last switch)

my score as gone down by 11 points, and the only thing that changed in that week was the switch to Scottish power from eon

so be careful for those who switch on a regular basis

I notice that all these collectives are not so keen to mention this (I wonder why)

Comments

• benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Makes sense, every time you switch the energy companies run a credit search on you...lots of searches on your file don't look too good.

Also, you don't have a "score", no-one has a "credit score", it's just something that agencies use based on their own methods of determining how good THEY think your credit rating it. It means absolutely nothing to any bank, facility provider, lender, etc, etc. In fact, no-one other than you ever sees your "score". Anywhere that runs a credit check on you only sees the raw info.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ignore the score. It means nothing.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    just a word of warning to those who regularly switch, I have just found out that your credit score is affected in a negative way everytime you switch, (or at least it as with my last switch)

my score as gone down by 11 points, and the only thing that changed in that week was the switch to Scottish power from eon

so be careful for those who switch on a regular basis

I notice that all these collectives are not so keen to mention this (I wonder why)

Yes, this is bound to happen, but they won't want you to know about it. Anyone concerned about adverse effects on credit scores should think about EDF, and maybe SSE, as suppliers. I think those two don't hit you with a search.
  • NittyGritty
    Options
    I wonder how many people will rethink their constant switching if they realise it negatively effects their credit rating

its no wonder MSE and the rest keep quiet about this, as it will no doubt impact their cash flow if less people switch
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am a switching tart with almost everything and my "score" has never been affected. I would be led to assume only those with other underlying problems will be affected by energy switching.
  • Gizmo247
    Gizmo247 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    This just goes to show how pointless and irrelevant credit scores really are!

Stop buying into their version of the "emperor's new clothes"
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills