Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Help with vet bills for cats

Can anyone help me please, my cat had to go to the vets Christmas eve, as he had a fight and was having problems urinating, he was kept in for observation, but had to have a catheter put in as they said he had crystals in the bladder, but they said they didn't get all the crystals out when I picked him up that night.
I payed over £300 for that, and for some medication he has to have twice a day, which I have to get every week, he's never really been better after it.
Need to no if there any charities out there that either help with funding or let you pay back in instalments, my vets don't let you pay back in instalments they want the full amount upfront on the spot. I'm on benefits as I have a illness and cannot work at the moment, we don't have Pdsa here, or any charities really, I'm desperate for any help and advice please

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think that both Blue Cross and the PDSA provide help, but normally you would need to go to their own vet, not ask for help after the event.
    I would suggest that you check to see whether they have a local branch - you may be able to transfer to a different vet for any future treatment.

You could also try contacting your local cat resuces to find out whether they kniow of any schemes to help or whether they can recommend a vet who would be willing to let you spread the payments. If your cat still needs treatment and you cannot afford it, they might be able to help for your cat's sake.

Unfortunately vets are businesses - if you pay by installments they are effectively giving you a loan, and they are not in business as lenders. It is very difficult for you to try to get the money but it is reasonable of them to expect payment forthe treatment they have provided.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Thanks for the reply, the nearest pdsa and blue cross is over 60miles away, I have tryed to ring the rspca to see if they could help or suggest anywhere, but it's a answer phone service, I'm waiting for a phone can back.
    We live in a very small town that doesn't have many places, we only my have 2 vets.
    I understand that they are a business, they said the only way they do payment plan is if you put ure pet down, I really do not want to do that, as he's fit and healthy apart from this problem.
    I only no of one rescue centre in our area who do all animals, but they ask people to fund them, but it's maybe worth a ring to see where they go.
    I don't feel the vets sorted this problem out, I feel I've payed to have a catheter but wasn't done fully so I payed for nothing really.
  • Not really - if he had a blocked bladder, that catheter saved his life. If they hadn't relieved the initial blockage, you wouldn't have a cat.

Cats with bladder disease are difficult and expensive to manage. Please don't expect this problem to be fixed promptly with one procedure. Even if money was no object, it would be the same: this is going to be an emotional rollercoaster.

The vets' hands are tied if your cat needs further investigations and treatment and you can't pay for them.

I'm sorry you're in this situation but please don't blame the vet. Read up on blocked bladders and you'll learn that it is never fixed with just a catheter.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    On the oth hand if you have no savings or cannot borrow, what else can you do but pay by installment.
    Explain it to them, they cant take the cat off you or execute you. Let us know how you get on
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Thanks guys, I did some ringing around yesterday, and the rspca said they would help abit if I get a quote, got an appointment today to get a quote.
    I also asked the vets yesterday if they do instalments, and they said they possibly might, the first time I asked they said no, so it's abit confusing but at the same time it's abit of relief.

Shoshannah, they didn't no what it was as they didn't do blood tests or xrays ect, they just treated it as crystals in the bladder, I've done alot of reading up on it and I no it's not a fix and will keep happening, but hopefully if this time it's done probably then it will give me enough time to hopefully save some funds for future.
    If it is crystals then they weren't completely cleared last time so the medication isn't doing much as its meant to line the bladder to help some prevention, but if it's never clear to begin with then I don't see how it would work.
    I've asked if there's something else we can try as he has blood in his urine, which they haven't treated him for.
    He's a happy cat, playing, eating and drinking.
    If he was miserable, and in agony I would do the right thing.
    I will keep you all updated, thanks for all your advice.
    Wish I knew someone who had a cat with the sane problem and could tell me if they tryed something that helped ect.
  • If your vet has treated for a blocked urethra and thinks that crystals were the problem have you been sent home with special food? I only ask as you don't mention this. You need to get your cat on a special vetinary food designed to help stop the formation of crystals, whatever you do do not feed your cat standard dry food. My cat went into the vet with a block and had to have a catheter , he was in for 3 nights and then had to go onto vet food. But never had another problem. Cats naturally have a very low level of thirst so feeding them dry food often means they aren't taking in enough liquid this then means the urine gets very concentrated before they need to go and so crystals can form. If you don't have special food yet make sure to give wet food and add a teaspoon or 2 of extra water to it.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm wondering if Cat's Protection can give you any helpful advice. It might be worth contacting them- looks like they can answer questions if you burrow around on the site.

http://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    tbh . It might be worth your while travelling to the PDSA and back. It will be less than £300 in travel costs. Please make sure that you bring the right documents and siganture if you go and book ahead!
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    PDSA have catchment areas so OP may not be eligible
  • Fortunately, none of my own have ever suffered with cystitis (*touches wood!*), but I have treated many of these cats.

It's a complex situation. The significance of the crystals in the urine is dependent on the age of the sample. Crystals identified straight away on a fresh urine sample taken through the catheter will be an accurate finding, but if the sample was left on the side for an hour or so before being analysed it might not be - crystals can form in standing samples within half an hour.

To make things even more complicated (because cats just love to do that), some perfectly normally healthy cats also have crystals in their urine. It can be hard to interpret.

The purpose of initial catheterisation is to relieve the blockage in the urethra, which is life-threatening. While flushing the bladder after emptying it can be therapeutic, I think removing all crystals is nigh impossible and won't solve the issue in any case, since there will be more where those came from.

Cats predisposed to crystal formation in their urine will continue to form them until their diet and water intake are successfully altered to reduce their formation. Flushing helps, but I doubt a failure to remove them all at the outset will set him back badly if he is receiving appropriate management otherwise.

This is going to be an emotional rollercoaster for you. I strongly recommend Dr Sarah Caney's book, Caring for a Cat with Lower Urinary Tract Disease. It explains the whole thing and will help you prepare both practically and emotionally for the journey ahead. You can order it online, or download it here: http://www.vetprofessionals.com/catprofessional/FLUTD.html

I wish you all the luck with your little man. I hope you can get him sorted with some help from the RSPCA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure