Credit rating damaged by name size

Hi,

This is just to share my latest anecdote, which obviously won't apply to others, but I do think it shows how random credit ratings are.

So I was stoozing £3k and tried to get a balance transfer card for it. Tried a Barclaycard no fee deal and it was denied. My experian credit rating is 999, so I was surprised. Setup an account with Clearscore to check my equifax one to find out it's 423.

Checking why it was "low" I find out they have me as not present in my electoral roll (I am). I complain to them and they say my name doesn't match, but there's someone in my address with a very similar name (I wonder who that person is...). My name is abbreviated in the electoral roll because it's long.

So, in the end long names do affect the credit rating...

Have fun,
Joao

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,517 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Those numbers aren’t your credit rating. They are for marketing purposes.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Those numbers aren’t your credit rating. They are for marketing purposes.

As thrilling as you rabbited staement is (which is often true). The thing here is having a name shortened on the electoral role could indeed also impact your ability to apply for credit. Stick to the important info. Pointless repeating of well known statements helps no-one.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In which case your Electoral Office is acting illegally under the Data Protection Act by holding incorrect information
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Or, Joao, use you first name, one of your middle names and your last name. I’m afraid our systems aren’t set up to accommodate much more than that. What would be the point?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • You don’t have a “rating” to be affected.

What does your name say in the electoral roll report on Experian compared to Equifax?
  • An error in spelling of a name either on the Electoral Roll or during the credit application service can lead to a decline on credit score as the search isn't finding the correct info.

It works the same with address, if you stay in a flat but the format isn't quite right when you fill in an application it mightn't pick up your details in the search and therefore cannot score/rate you on the credit you have.

Least it did when I used to do credit searches for customers. Would sometimes take a couple of searches to pull through the correct info to get the application approved.
  • I had a similar problem with Equifax. The farm I lived on had a long name and had been abbreviated to 'Fm'. So when I wrote 'farm' it was deemed incorrect and I failed the check. I had emails and telephone calls going back and forth for a while until i realised they may speak English but they didn't understand it! I asked them to check other houses on the farm as proof that 'farm' is indeed correct but they refused to believe the others would have the same postcode because they couldn't grasp the concept of several barn conversions sharing one entrance to/from the farm.
    Debt Free 🍾 since 6.8.13 £31,997
    Saving for🎄Xmas ☃️ 🎁 2024 £104/£365 28.6%
    6 mth 🆘 fund £6k
    Mortgage offset fund £5.2k/£63.1k
    It turns out the answer to my problems wasn’t at the bottom of this tub of ice-cream, 🍨 but the important thing is that I tried...
  • jneves
    jneves Posts: 23 Forumite
    Experian and Call Credit both report me has being on the electoral roll.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure