What's wrong with people.

Comments

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can I ask a couple of questions, how old are you OP and what is your future plan?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:28PM
    Take cars for example. It wasn't that long ago that people drove older cars without any real hesitation. Now new drivers are wanting brand new cars. The average of the cars on the road must have reduced significantly in the last 10-15 years.

It's quite interesting looking at the car park at work. The cars driven by the youngsters in customer services on low wages are significantly newer than the cars driven by older staff on vastly better salaries. Those who can afford them tend to not buy them, not sure what that really says unless it's learning from experience.
    Zola. wrote: »
    I think Social Media has caused a huge upsurge in people becoming more reckless with money. Everyone wants to look wealthy and show off, and what better way than to flaunt the next holiday you are on, the new flashy car or the new Rolex watch to the X number followers on your social media accounts.

Very true. I saw a comment from someone a few weeks ago about how much in debt they were. Next post was showing all these fantastic outfits they'd just bought, none of which could be described as essential
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    jimjames wrote: »
    It's quite interesting looking at the car park at work. The cars driven by the youngsters in customer services on low wages are significantly newer than the cars driven by older staff on vastly better salaries. Those who can afford them tend to not buy them, not sure what that really says unless it's learning from experience.

Funny you say that. On another forum I frequent one of the younger members posted this during a chat about car leasing v car buying...

Friday before last I got my first personal lease.
    £213 a month, £1200 deposit, Volkswagen Golf TDI 1.6 SE Nav Edition.
    Sold my 09 plate CAT D Fiesta for £1200 cash, that covered the deposit. 24 month contract. 20k mileage allowance.
    £2556 a year. £5112 in total over two years. It's nothing really? Give it back after 2 years and upgrade to a nice little C-Class at 24 if I'm in the position that I'm hoping I will be.

"It's nothing really" he says. Oh yes it is.
    Pants
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    warehouse wrote: »
    "It's nothing really" he says. Oh yes it is.

Indeed. Also he conveniently forgot the £1200 deposit from his calcs so it's £6300 which won't be available for the next deposit so he's gone from owning an asset worth £1200 to owning nothing after paying out £5100 over 2 years.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:43PM
    £2556 a year. £5112 in total over two years

Rinse & repeat & they could buy a totally new car. As for the 20k mileage allowance, well it would be enough now - no commuting & long distances only rarely, but back in my "youth" that would be gone in a year (or less).

I spent my money doing things & going places not on a status symbol. But then I never did care too much about what other people thought about me.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    CAT D Fiesta though, lucky he got £1,200 valuation if an insurance "write-off"?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    eskbanker wrote: »
    You may evangelise about having 'seen the light' but many wouldn't necessarily see your way as being better than the one they've adopted (whether consciously or not).
    I don't think that anyone having no emergency funds, living from payday to payday in overdraft and needing loans to cover unexpected items could be seen as anything other than worse than having savings to cover such items. Entirely their choice how to live their life but I can't see a lot of dispute that spending more than you earn is less preferable to having savings. Obviously the level of savings could make a massive difference.
    Yes, I agree with you - just to be clear I'm not disputing that debt is best avoided, my point was more about OP's more contentious recommendations around lifestyle choices and not being materialistic - I'm not denying OP's right to have those opinions but just feel that it's a bit steep to criticise those who choose to take a different view, especially in the wording of the thread title.

Or to put it another way, expressions such as 'you can't take it with you' and 'no pockets in a shroud' may be tired cliches but that doesn't necessarily make them invalid! Fundamentally I do agree that people should live within their means though, but just don't have an issue with those who choose to spend it all on whatever they want....
  • why so judgemental? young person, high disposable income, probably no dependents, possibly living with parents.

older person, family, mortgage, commitments etc, who honestly cares what someone spends their money on. quite strange
  • Never borrow except for a mortgage, and save 10% of your net income for retirement, and 10% for emergencies/holidays/xmas etc and you wont go far wrong.

That applies whether you are on benefits or a million a year.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Indeed. Also he conveniently forgot the £1200 deposit from his calcs so it's £6300 which won't be available for the next deposit so he's gone from owning an asset worth £1200 to owning nothing after paying out £5100 over 2 years.

That's excluding insurance and fuel to run the car and maintenance costs!!

Ah that's why I can't convince myself to get a car. Imagine the opportunity costs of not using that money to be invested!!

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport