Avro Energy UK.

Comments

• Avro have come up for me as cheapest. Investigating, the website says it wants a 'security deposit'. The FAQ explains that this is to check credit rating. It also says that if you fail the check they will keep the deposit.

I've never heard of this or been asked when switching, which I've often done.

Could it be a fiddle and they intend to disappear with all those deposits?
  • Hoopie1
    Hoopie1 Posts: 1,254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Avro have disappeared as a best buy for me when I do a price comparison on Cheaper Energy Club, not sure why, but it looks like I'll be giving them a miss.
    GB Energy are now the top pick, so I am seriously thinking about switching to them.

It is very likely that they've disappeared because they put the tariff up and acquired the number of customers that they were aiming for. Once they've done this they up their prices so they don't take on any more people (either they're loss leading with this tariff, or they operationally can't cope with more than x customers, or that above a certain number of customers they incur more cost).
    Avro have come up for me as cheapest. Investigating, the website says it wants a 'security deposit'. The FAQ explains that this is to check credit rating. It also says that if you fail the check they will keep the deposit.

I've never heard of this or been asked when switching, which I've often done.

Could it be a fiddle and they intend to disappear with all those deposits?

It is a brand new company and is owned by a very young guy. Like you say, that clause is very much non-market standard. Whether the intent is something nefarious I don't know (you really are living up to your username!) but I wouldn't sign up to them because of that clause, it's absurd.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have just had a quick look at their domestic supply ts and cs and 'security deposit' is defined as:

Security Deposit means an Additional Charge payable by you to us, which is an advance payment to cover any future charges due from you to us under this Contract which you fail to pay;

There is no reference to failing the check and keeping the deposit. Ofgem would not allow them to get away with this type of business practice.
    2010 Posts: 5,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Under their T&C it states the following as regards a security deposit.

10. Non Payment of Charges
    10.1 If you do not pay any sums due to us, we may;
    10.1.1 Require a Security Deposit from you, or replace your existing meter with a prepayment meter;

That`s it.
    It doesn`t mention paying anything in advance.
    Read the T&C.

http://www.avroenergy.co.uk/Terms.aspx
  • I have just registered with avro energy... Quickly got my welcome pack by email and then the surprise they want the first direct payment (15th Feb) before connection on the 25th.. Will Ring them tomorrow to sort this out never had to pay for gas and electric in advance before...
    The other thing the phone lines close at 17.30 Monday - Friday

Peter.collins443

Glad I have 14 days to cancel this if this correct
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Its not unusual - OVO does
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    The other thing the phone lines close at 17.30 Monday - Friday

Peter.collins443

Glad I have 14 days to cancel this if this correct

At least it`s a freefone number and if the DD is the correct amount I can`t see it matters when they take it.

My fix is up at the end of March and Avro is one I`m considering along with Flow Energy.

Talk To Us
    Customer Support & New Customer Switching
    0800 6800 795 from a Landline
    0330 0885 754 from a Mobile

Monday – Thursday 9:00am – 5:30pm
    Friday 9:00am – 4:30pm
  • I'm tempted to change to Avro too as I could save £122.

I, too, feel I'm being a bit over cautious. However, if everybody always felt the same, how would a new firm ever get up and running? It's probably exactly what the "big 6" want us to think...
    LeroyBoyce wrote: »
    I'm tempted to change to Avro too as I could save £122.

I, too, feel I'm being a bit over cautious. However, if everybody always felt the same, how would a new firm ever get up and running? It's probably exactly what the "big 6" want us to think...

The good thing is if they do not come up to scratch there is no exit fees on their tariff.Same goes if they increase prices.
    I can`t start a switch until the end of Feb but I`m going to give them a bash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure