Avro Energy UK.

whattochoose
whattochoose Posts: 694 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 16 January 2018 at 1:59PM in Energy
MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Lots more people are posting their reviews on our dedicated Avro Energy Reviews discussion. Feel free to add yours there.

Back to whattochoose' original post...

----

I'm presently with Ebico for gas and Eon for electricity. My tariff with Eon ends on 16th January 2016, so I thought I would do a price comparison and used the Cheaper Energy Club and Which price comparison websites. Both came up with Avro Energy as the cheapest alternative..
http://www.avroenergy.co.uk/
Second was Extra energy and GB energy was third.
I wonder if members have any experience of Avro and would they recommend it?
From what I've read on here Extra energy looks like one to avoid but GB energy sounds like it might be one to consider.
Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Just today signed up myself to this forum as i switched to Avro this morning and thought i would try and find some reviews on here.
    The switch process was quick and the staff very helpful, i'm saving over £300 a year from British Gas.
    Anybody else had experience dealing with them?
    Thanks.
  • Am also looking to change supplier & Avro has appeared on comparison website but they are a new company & I cannot find any info on them so feel very wary. Having looked at feedback on Energy & First Utility it is very negative for customer service. The only one on my cheaper list with good reviews seems to be Ovo. I don't want to change & make a big mistake or am I being too cautious?
  • I can find absolutely nothing about them, apart from the fact they come up as "best buy" for me when I do price comparisons with "Cheaper Energy Club" and "Which". There doesn't appear to be a jot of information about them on "Money Saving Expert" or anywhere else for that matter, so it appears it would definitely be a stab in the dark if one signs up with them, and I'm not sure I'm prepared to take the risk.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    They have a very cheap no standing charge variable tariff. Pretty sure they are very new.

The cynic in me thinks they are trying to obtain a quick user base before putting the rates up, but I could easily be wrong.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    KeithMc9 wrote: »
    Just today signed up myself to this forum as i switched to Avro this morning and thought i would try and find some reviews on here.
    The switch process was quick and the staff very helpful, i'm saving over £300 a year from British Gas.
    Anybody else had experience dealing with them?
    Thanks.

Real saving or just an estimate .
    £300 PA sounds like you are on a higher rate from BG .
  • I was on BG Standard pay on receipt and a medium to high user in the west midlands. I think they are second cheapest for my usage but the no standing charges swayed me into switching to Avro. :smiley:
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm presently with Ebico for gas and Eon for electricity. My tariff with Eon ends on 16th January 2016, so I thought I would do a price comparison and used the Cheaper Energy Club and Which price comparison websites. Both came up with Avro Energy as the cheapest alternative..
    http://www.avroenergy.co.uk/
    Second was Extra energy and GB energy was third.
    I wonder if members have any experience of Avro and would they recommend it?
    From what I've read on here Extra energy looks like one to avoid but GB energy sounds like it might be one to consider.
    Any advice appreciated.

Hi whattochoose

Just to let you know, if you haven't already, you'll soon be receiving a renewal letter. This will outline the options once the contract ends. Thought it might help to let you know a bit about the Price Protection window that kicks in when fixed term contracts are nearing the end.

The Price Protection window is open from the date on the renewal letter until 20 working days after the contract ends. Provided we're told, we'll make sure you're protected against any price changes that aren't in your favour whilst a change of supplier goes through. We'll work out which prices are cheapest, either the existing ones or the new prices, and charge these from the point the existing tariff ends until a switch is complete. Also, exit fees don't apply whilst the Price Protection window is open.

If we don't hear from you, the account will automatically default to our standard plan once the fixed term contact ends.

Hope this is useful whattochoose.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Bark01
    Bark01 Posts: 882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Avro are brand new - its is the first tariff they've launched so you are not going to get any feedback on them.

But do keep us updated on how your experience develops!
  • I can save just over £135/year compared to my First Utility tariff. Sounds good although as has been said there's nothing much online about them. My fixed tariff with First Utility isn't up until May, so hopefully by then a few brave people will have switched and be able to give a bit of a review.
  • Avro have disappeared as a best buy for me when I do a price comparison on Cheaper Energy Club, not sure why, but it looks like I'll be giving them a miss.
    GB Energy are now the top pick, so I am seriously thinking about switching to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure