Interview attire.

I have an upcoming interview with a charity for a homeless outreach job ( I’m not leaving my full time role). Given the nature of the job and where it is, would it be ok to wear a business suit with a polo shirt or suit, shirt and tie etc.

Normally I’d advocate appropriate dress but I’ll throw this one out to you guys. Staff “uniform” is pretty relaxed.
Don’t be a can’t, be a can.

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Suit and polo shirt sounds like an odd combination.... I'd say err on the side of caution and wear a suit and tie - or if you think that too much - polo shirt and chinos. If necessary, make the point that you would dress down to look approachable when actually on the job.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I wouldn't wear a suit and polo shirt. If you think a suit might be too formal for this job, leave the jacket and just wear a shirt.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I used to know someone who regularly went to work in a suit with polo shirt. Looked very odd. For an interview I'd always recommend that man wear a suit and tie. But equally given the nature of the work, be prepared, as NBLondon said, to make it clear that you understand that something less formal would be more appropriate for the actual job.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Another vote for ditching the jacket and wear trousers and a shirt. Not a polo shirt.

Best of luck, challenging work but you can make such a difference to your clients.
  • ohreally wrote: »
    would it be ok to wear a business suit with a polo shirt or suit, shirt and tie etc.

I don't think that would be a good combination. Trousers and shirt, like others have mentioned. It's always appropriate to dress up a level for an interview - at least as far as I'm concerned anyway.
    Debt-free by January 1st, 2019.
    £4905.87/£5124 - as of 24/03/18
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For an interview in that line of work, DH would wear smart trousers and shirt, with or without tie. If he thought he needed to wear his suit it would probably be without tie. It's always his shoes which tax us: I'm not sure he's got a decent pair any more ...

But then he doesn't wear t-shirts or polos.

Roll-neck jumper might be OK, unless you have a double chin (I can't wear them!) but agree that a polo would look a bit odd.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Provided you're clean and tidy, there's no firm etiquette in this type of role. I've interviewed with people who think someone very formally dressed may be perceived as distanced from the client group; but also with people who feel a suit shows respect for the interview process.
    Best bet is to try to dress like you work there already, but a little bit smarter in recognition of the interview. People tend to like candidates that look like they'll fit in.
    If you've never seen other employees, do they have a website with photographs?

Put your hands up.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Update: I decided to maintain convention and wear a suit and tie, the panel interviewing were more relaxed in dress.

Job offer followed, which I've accepted, so case of waiting for reference follow up etc.

Appreciate folks comments.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family