Cold and mouldy bay window

I have a cupboard built into the bay window in my bedroom. Inside the cupboard it is mouldy (black spots, not thick) and you can feel the cold coming in when you open the door. When my neighbour was having his house re-rendered it looked like it the bay was covered with lath(?) then render on the outside so I assume mine is the same. I have horrible peddledash render which is damaged.
What would be the best thing to improve this? Obviously cleaning the mould off! I was thinking maybe dismantle the cupboard and wallpaper the bay with a polystyrene type wallpaper?
In time we hope to re-render the house but we are waiting for the money fairy to arrive first.
Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,801 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Insulation. It’s cold in your box with no airflow. You could really just pack solid insulation like Celotex against the back of your inbuilt unit. It can be cut to size easily. And possibly drill some holes for a little bit of ventilation if you can make them look attractive.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Agree with doozergirl.
    Our bay window upstairs was cold so as the whole house needed re plastered we used insulated plasterboard over the entire bay and insulated the ceiling in the bay. Made a huge difference to the overall temperature in that room.
    Lost some height in the ceiling but as it's not useful space am unbothered
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Try a dehumidifier. Leave the cupboard door open during the day, or when your not at home. Make sure the room is heated, but still open the windows for about 40 mins per day.

Lack of heat and ventilation is what causes condensation. Im presuming that your radiator/heat source is on the other side of the room, or not close to the bay window.

Condensation around bay windows is common, for the simple reason that radiators aren't usually installed underneath the bay window. Double glazing can actually contribute to condensation, as it traps vapor. The area around the bay window then becomes a condensation spot, which is susceptible to mold.

I've solved a similar issue with an Ebac dehumidifier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure