MSE FAULT - Links open in current tab instead of a new tab - action required

Options

Comments

• mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    redfox wrote: »
    49, doesn't work. Also tried it on a system I have with 43 on, doesn't work. Tried it on Pale Moon (Firefox-alike which uses Firefox/Mozilla code and on which all other Firefox addons work perfectly fine), doesn't work. Some of the reviews also suggest it is quite patchy on what it does and doesn't work on.

Given up trying now because, quite frankly, I shouldn't need to be finding workarounds. This is an MSE instigated problem which needs fixing. The silence and total lack of concern or action from MSE is astounding and very hard to accept.

There is "Tab Mix Plus" as well, but I've not had a play with it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus/?src=cb-dl-mostpopular
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mattytun wrote: »
    There is "Tab Mix Plus" as well, but I've not had a play with it.

just tried that one as well. Installs but doesn't work once installed so no improvement. Thanks anyway.
  • lgardner
    lgardner Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    i think its to do with the way the links are put in the background the coding is wrong in the back, apparently you have to add a target="_blank" attributre to your links (anchor tags)

So if the ref is a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/">bbc.co.uk</a&gt;

it needs to be href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/&quot; target="_blank">bbc.co.uk</a>
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    With respect, I'd suggest the forum team should be well aware of how that attribute works and how to apply it. ;)
  • 100mg
    100mg Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you're Tim Berners-Lee, this is unlikely. Even if you are, info.cern.ch , the http server for which went online 25 years and two months ago, didn't have target="_blank" on any of the links and the orignal text based browser ran in a shell and didn't have tabs.

Perhaps a bit less than 25 years?

Silly me. I haven't been running website for 25 years. I started out running a BBS on DOS in the late 80's, then a 2 line BBS on OS/2 in 1992 with Fidonet. My website activity started in 1993 & it had a .demon.co.uk address. However I only started using target="_blank" for the past 10 years.

I can see why MSE uses a rel="nofollow", but a rel="external" should open the link in a new window, but when I tried it (on my non HTML 5 website), it didn't. Running Firefox 48.02, so I am sticking with the method posted in this thread of using the Open Link in New Tab Addon & setting the Level to Level 1.
  • rugmaker
    rugmaker Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please can this be changed back ASAP. It's driving me mad. Just can't se a need for it.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rugmaker wrote: »
    Please can this be changed back ASAP. It's driving me mad. Just can't se a need for it.

I'm right with you on that.

:mad:
  • rugmaker
    rugmaker Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    An update would be appreciated please MSE. Can't you reinstate the old system while you investigate?
  • pookiepie
    Options
    Can we please have an update - this is driving me mad!!!
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I came to check if there was an update. Alas, there is not. Please, MSE, this is such a small thing that so many users are getting irate about. It's driving us all crazy!
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business