PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• Was lovely and frosty here in Berkshire. Popped home 3.30 ish and was lovely in the lounge - 30 ins later sun had dipped and was very chilly!

Had beef casserole in the slow cooker - was lovely to have it already when we got in from swimming lessons at about 6pm.

little one has her gloves on most mornings now and I seem to have mine in my pockets most days.
  • Feeling a 'homey' sense of content even though we forgot to set the dishwasher running last night! :eek: No need to panic. It's the weekend. Ahhhh. :)

My dressing gown is still firmly on and it's after 9 and the pot of coffee was extra comforting today as it's chilly outside. We're all a bit slow moving this morning, and didn't even get up until almost 7. DD is enjoying some PJ time and watching cartoons on the TV, a real weekend luxury for her. DS is snuggling in his onesie and reading. Hubby had a rest until 8 and I've finished my work at home by the back doors with the added bonus of free wood-side entertainment. Today, our smaller bird-friends and squirrels have spent most of the morning running from a marching pheasant.

I'm continuing our streak of making no plans for the weekends unless we have to (family birthday etc.) It's lovely knowing anything we do is by choice. Had grocery delivery arrive last night too...well worth it to have something off the list before we even start the weekend.

A genuine signal of the change in the weather here is that our silver birch is completely bare...with other trees swiftly following.
  • Have realised that although the children - even the biggies are fully hatted and gloved - I am not!!
    Also need replacement H2O bottles for me and tinies.

Had the last roast that I'll cook before Christmas I think - colossal sized piece of beef - fed 5 today, enough for sarnies and cottage pie made for the freezer. There should have been more but the tinies kept pinching slices from the fridge.
    Not quite tiniest has a UTI and is feeling very sorry for herself and has taken her self to bed with hot squash and lots of blankets!
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Have realised that although the children - even the biggies are fully hatted and gloved - I am not!!
    Also need replacement H2O bottles for me and tinies.

Had the last roast that I'll cook before Christmas I think - colossal sized piece of beef - fed 5 today, enough for sarnies and cottage pie made for the freezer. There should have been more but the tinies kept pinching slices from the fridge.
    Not quite tiniest has a UTI and is feeling very sorry for herself and has taken her self to bed with hot squash and lots of blankets!

I'm not far from you LHL - we're in Bucks and DH works in Maidenhead.

Our winter prep hasn't really started, apart from getting the chimney swept.

Still need:

Boiler service (booked for December)
    Bleed radiators
    Order firewood - have been relying on cherry wood from in laws garden but don't think it'll get us all the way through
    Get draughty external doors replaced - we have agreed on what we want. It'll cost about £3k for composites as our house is old and we like the posh ones :( At least it'll be nice and toasty.
  • Bit breezy today - at least I know where all the drafts are coming from!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Thriftkitten you'll be able to feast yer eyes on the Traffic Scotland webcams this morning.. tons of snaw up north! But not here yet :(
  • mardatha wrote: »
    Thriftkitten you'll be able to feast yer eyes on the Traffic Scotland webcams this morning.. tons of snaw up north! But not here yet :(

I was all over it early yesterday morning hahaha!!! You read my mind Mar :j
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Snowing here on and off today :D
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    It's white the other end of the UK as well, but it's thick hail, we have already gone through a dumpy bag of logs so will have to have another delivery I was hoping to avoid, it's going to be an expensive winter this year.
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Set the heating for staying on constant low for last night as with DH on night shift and DsS with his grandparents, just DS (14 months) and me (almost 20wk pregnant) at home, this 1920s house won't stay very warm overnight when it's just 1°c outside all night!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family