PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Private buyer but have sole seller agreement with estate agent

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Seller175 wrote: »
    Chill Winston!!! I've read my contract and it says nothing about a 12 or 24 month tie in.

I think you're probably mistaken.

Is your agent a member of The Property Ombudsman scheme?

If so, they have a code of practice:
    This Code of Practice is mandatory for all TPO Members...

And the code of practice says:
    Fee Entitlement and Client Liability

5r At the time of accepting instructions from a client, you must point out and explain clearly to that client in your written Terms of Business:

• that you may be entitled to a commission fee if that client terminates your instruction and a memorandum of sale is issued by another agent to a buyer that you have introduced within 6 months of the date your instruction ended and where a subsequent exchange of contracts takes place.

If no other estate agent is involved this time limit extends to 2 years.

Link: https://www.tpos.co.uk/images/documents/rules-codes-obligations/residential-estate-agents/TPOE27-3_Code_of_Practice_Residential_Estate_Agents_A4_-_Effective_from_1_Oct_2015.pdf
  • Basically fella, you didn't read your contract properly before signing it, and now you're stuffed! No amount of arguing on here is going to unstuff you.
    If you scan the contract in and show it here in it's entirety someone may be able to help, but relying on your interpretation we're all left in the dark.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 9:50PM
    I've heard a rumour that 'scum of the earth' estate agents add a premium onto their fees because they have to deal with all the illiterate shysters who waste their time.
  • Moving slightly off topic. Does the EA confirm to a buyer what he is being paid for the transaction?
  • eddddy wrote: »
    I think you're probably mistaken.

Is your agent a member of The Property Ombudsman scheme?

If so, they have a code of practice:

And the code of practice says:

Again key point here is if the agent had introduced that person to begin with. In my case the agent didn't introduce the private buyer in any shape or form.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Again key point here is if the agent had introduced that person to begin with. In my case the agent didn't introduce the private buyer in any shape or form.

Was there a sale board up outside the property?

Was the property being advertised on Rightmove?
  • Ad board - no
    Rightmove - yes
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 October 2016 at 12:12AM

You can still be liable for both sets of fees even if the agents did not introduce the buyer.

Most sole agency agreements say that you will be liable for the agent's fees if:
    - it is a buyer they introduced; OR
    - it is a buyer that buys the property during the term of your agreement with the agent; OR
    - it is a buyer that buys the property within a certain period of time (such as 6 weeks) after you terminate your agreement with the agent.

The logic of this is that you are supposed to route any sale through your agent, and that you shouldn't be able to avoid fees by terminating their agreement just before a sale. Estate agents can easily find out when you sold your property by looking at the land registry and they do send legal demands for fees in this type of situation.

If you want to avoid paying fees, you will probably need to give both estate agents formal notice that you are terminating their agency AND wait a certain period of time before concluding the same.

You'll need to read the agent T&Cs to find out how long you have to wait. Ask the agents for a copy of the T&Cs if you don't have them. Why don't you scan them in and post a picture up on here.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    it's just become boring now.....
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Head, meet wall :wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories