Fence ,gates and bad neighbour

Comments

• Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    amalis wrote: »
    No, there are lots of shops ,warehouses selling things and they have customers in and out

You don't get it do you?
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No, there are lots of shops ,warehouses selling things and they have customers in and out

For business purposes - they aren't just wandering around for the sake of it. It's not an open-access recreation area.
  • amalis
    amalis Posts: 532 Forumite
    Write back and tell them the gates are purely ornamental blah blah blah and do not open and then, if you really want to, put a couple of screws in it to make sure it can't be opened.

Or at least that's what I would do.

Thanks! I was hoping this could be a solution. Really don't have money now to do it.
    The problem is that he says there were children coming out of my gates, which is not true :( I have a son, but he is 1 y.o. and I had no friends visiting or going anywhere or being in the gar
    den at all. Have you seen the weather? :-)
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Thanks! I was hoping this could be a solution. Really don't have money now to do it.
    The problem is that he says there were children coming out of my gates, which is not true :( I have a son, but he is 1 y.o. and I had no friends visiting or going anywhere or being in the gar
    den at all. Have you seen the weather? :-)

Yes, perfectly acceptable to be outside, the suns out.
  • They don't want it to become an established right of way, which in 10 years time you might argue it is, preventing them building up to their boundary in future. They probably won't drop the issue.
  • I don't know if it would help but it might be worth replying to the estate manager informing them that the gate will remain locked and will only be used for 1 of 2 reasons.
    For exiting the property in the event of an emergency (house fire etc) or
    for getting large items into or out of the property and you will contact the manager prior to this happening to get permission.

As it stands, a locked gate is no different to a solid fence as it is simply a barrier between two areas of land and as it opens into your land and not onto the estate there is no trespass and unless your deeds state otherwise, there is probably no requirement to have a fence at all.

In order to be legally classed as an established right of way (claiming a right of way by prescription), it must have been in use for a minimum of 20 years. It might be worth finding out if it is possible for you to legally waive your right to apply for this by signing a declaration stating that you won't be applying for this in the future and send a copy to the estate manager.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If a neighbour decided to replace a fence panel between our gardens with a gate, I'd also be pretty irritated. I wouldn't drop the issue, regardless of being told that it's "bolted" or "locked".

To be frank, the entire plan seems like sheer lunacy.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    He also said that there were people and children coming out of our gates ,but that is not true.
    I find it very strange that you aren't concerned that people have been using the gates to trespass on your property. Are you not worried about strangers in your garden or do you know something you don't care to admit?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • amalis
    amalis Posts: 532 Forumite
    I find it very strange that you aren't concerned that people have been using the gates to trespass on your property. Are you not worried about strangers in your garden or do you know something you don't care to admit?

as I said, it is not true
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What a silly thing to do!

I personally would have had one fence panel that could be easily unbolted from the inside in case I needed to remove it. This would have been impossible to see from the outside and would also not imply I was intending to use it as an access at any point.

See what your deeds state too as they may require a specific boundary marker to be kept in place.

In your case I would do as soA has stated in the first instance and if this doesn't work then make a fence panel to fit in the gap and coach bolt it to the posts.

If I were the estate manager I would also be a bit peeved at you so don't expect discussions to go as well as they might, had you talked to him first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure