GB Energy Price Hike

Comments

• t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Weird. I'm with GB Enerby and looking today at uSwitch there are lots cheaper for me. I will choose and change today.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    Weird. I'm with GB Enerby and looking today at uSwitch there are lots cheaper for me. I will choose and change today.

Look at separate suppliers. GB is not competitive on gas, but the cheapest for me for electricity.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Robin Hood Energy
    Avro
    Places and People Energy
    So Energy

All cheaper than GB energy in my area.

18 suppliers cheaper than the GB Energy Fix, 3 of which are from the big6.
  • I have been with GB Energy Supply for my electricity supply for just under three months (was cheapest when I switched), and I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever with them (easy switch, realistic DD, clear monthly billing etc), but with their upcoming price increase and noncompetitive fixed rate tariff it is now time to move on yet again.

I'm not a big electricity user (1000 kWh / £148 per year) so any switch which offers £15 cashback saves me an additional 10% on top of tariff savings (if any). Sadly, it looks like I will be returning to one of the big 6 but then this is all about saving money after all.

I wonder how many customers GB Energy Supply will lose because of this price hike.
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Robin Hood Energy
    Avro
    Places and People Energy
    So Energy

All cheaper than GB energy in my area.

18 suppliers cheaper than the GB Energy Fix, 3 of which are from the big6.

The point repeatedly made is that GB Energy were extremely competitive on electricity prices and overall savings could be made from splitting away from Dual Fuel contracts.

Both the variable price and fixed term electricity contracts were the lowest for some time. Even after the variable price increase electricity is still quite good but anyone who locked into the even cheaper Topaz tariff still retains the best electricity price.

I am not a fan of any one Supplier and GB Energy could improve their system functionality. To be fair to them,however, as a new entrant they have delivered some good prices and that must be a good thing.
  • Bark01
    Bark01 Posts: 882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wonder how many customers GB Energy Supply will lose because of this price hike.

What would you rather do, lose customer or go bust.

There's a reason Ofgem are trying to push through new rules on what to do when suppliers go bust.

Energy prices are increasing and its very likely most of the smaller suppliers will go out of business as they don;t have the finances to have a large hedging window.
  • backfoot
    Bark01 wrote: »
    What would you rather do, lose customer or go bust.

There's a reason Ofgem are trying to push through new rules on what to do when suppliers go bust.

Energy prices are increasing and its very likely most of the smaller suppliers will go out of business as they don;t have the finances to have a large hedging window.

Wow this is all a bit over dramatic. :eek:. As with all Suppliers, prices change, new tariffs get introduced, others withdrawn.

GB Energy have made a change to their variable tariff but it still remains the next best market price for my region for electricity. (after their fixed rate Topaz tariff). There will always be movement of customers between Suppliers but there is nothing to suggest a major migration away from GB Energy.

There will always be a business risk to Suppliers that cash flow may threaten their viability and in particular new entrants. They will price their products accordingly and GB energy ask for a month's payment in advance to assist them.

What exactly do you mean by 'don't have the finances to have a large hedging window' ? I don't understand your terminology and I am pretty sure other readers will not get it either.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    backfoot wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by 'don't have the finances to have a large hedging window' ? I don't understand your terminology and I am pretty sure other readers will not get it either.
    It means they don't have tons of cash to use as a bargaining chip to get a good deal on energy for a nice long term.
  • backfoot
    Bark01 wrote: »

backfoot wrote: »
    lstar337 wrote: »
    It means they don't have tons of cash to use as a bargaining chip to get a good deal on energy for a nice long term.

Really?

GB Energy will need to obtain sufficient supplies to cover their expected demand from their customer base. As they seem to be shifting their tariffs towards one year fixes with regular new tariffs (as per other Suppliers), they will purchase at market rates.

On top of that, they will cover overheads and their profit margin.

I don't think volume discounts apply. If they did, no new entrant could possibly compete, let alone be market leaders on price as GB Energy have been for some time.

The market doesn't work on bartering just because someone has a big bank balance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure