Testing a hot water cylinder thermostat

Hi

Our hot water is hotter than normal - too hot to keep your hands in but not scalding. I turned down the stat from 60c but it hasn't made any difference.

Can anyone tell me how I can test the above before I pay for a replacement? I've done a Google to no effect.

Thank you.

Comments

• It's not loose.
  • does turning it right down make boiler go off and right up make it go on ?
    (make sure,turn room stat right down too or only enable HW on to test)

has someone left the immersion switched on ?
  • Martyn_H
    Martyn_H Posts: 457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 September 2011 at 8:37AM
    @ bob...I keep the immersion heater turned off at the consumer unit under the stairs. Have done as you suggested, and boiler does go on/off.
  • Has it ever worked correctly? Sometimes cylinder thermostats are installed which don't really control the temperature in a meaningful way. Typically, the hot water cylinder runs on gravity circulation and the thermostat cuts the boiler off when temperature is reached - but only in the summer months with HW only selected. In the winter, the boiler runs anyway, because CH+HW is selected and the cylinder thermostat does not cut off the boiler.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • My wife remarked on the water being hotter as well.
  • Any plumbers here?
  • As I have already asked, has it ever worked correctly?

If you don't want to answer questions, there is no obligation. If you start to provide information and go and find things out, we might begin to work out what your problem is. But if you show unwilling to give information, most knowledgeable people won't bother to ask you for more information -and they won't venture an opinion either.

You are unlikely, without providing more information, to have someone drop by and tell you why you have a problem and what the solution is. And frankly, if someone tells you how to fix it based on the information we have so far, you are on a 90% chance of a wild goose chase.

Now, my question to you may appear dumb. But it is the question which determines whether there is a design problem with your system or something has broken.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Martyn_H wrote: »
    Any plumbers here?

3 or 4 regulars & another 3 or 4 that aren't plumbers but know their stuff.

Some of who have already posted & you have ignored them.
    Not Again
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    You do mean the stat when you're heating the water with gas, not the electric immersion?

Have you got your heating on yet after summer?

If the answers yes to both, my money's on the diverter valve.
  • Martyn_H
    Martyn_H Posts: 457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 September 2011 at 10:51PM
    As I have already asked, has it ever worked correctly?

If you don't want to answer questions, there is no obligation. If you start to provide information and go and find things out, we might begin to work out what your problem is. But if you show unwilling to give information, most knowledgeable people won't bother to ask you for more information -and they won't venture an opinion either.

You are unlikely, without providing more information, to have someone drop by and tell you why you have a problem and what the solution is. And frankly, if someone tells you how to fix it based on the information we have so far, you are on a 90% chance of a wild goose chase.

Now, my question to you may appear dumb. But it is the question which determines whether there is a design problem with your system or something has broken.

Oh spare me the attitude! I have tried to answer as best I can, work commitments permitting, but if that isn't good enough, please don't bother wearing out your keyboard as I don't care for rudeness.

As far as I know it has worked correctly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure