Gumtree/Ukash Scam or not?

Comments

• leew
    leew Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just had this reply after contacting her with a different email address

Hi, haven't sold yet. The final price is 125 quid. I'll be available on sunday afternoon for collection... if you're no timewaster and have cash 4 it reply straight away coz I want a fast sale hence the relative small price. Jennifer

Well that's very very odd!
  • Sounds like they are going to give that reply to everyone that replies, then they will get the next email saying they have to pay for it to be delivered, then they will become uncontactable. Several people paying up £125 for a non-existant bit of kit is a very easy way to make cash, and a lot of people are too embarrassed about being conned so decide to write off a "relatively small" amount of money to avoid having to admit they are gullible!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    leew wrote: »
    Just had this reply after contacting her with a different email address

Hi, haven't sold yet. The final price is 125 quid. I'll be available on sunday afternoon for collection... if you're no timewaster and have cash 4 it reply straight away coz I want a fast sale hence the relative small price. Jennifer

Well that's very very odd!

Hmm, have you made arrangements to collect yet?

I'd NEED to know what she'd do next.... :p
  • Yes its a scam, Ive informed UPS, and Gum Tree, also contact UKASH and they confirm scam but were pleased I had informed them.

Maybe nothing will happen, im sure ip addresses wont help track them, but for my own piece of mind I informed them as im sure many people have actualy paid them. Im like you and smelt the
    rat.

For all our sakes could you go to the gumtree website and
    send them a copy of your detail in your posting, ive done mine, jus maybe they might have some sort of mapping securtiy software that might prevent them listing again,

all the best
  • Had a dealing with this "person" who wanted £175 for a table, wording almost identical to the examples above. Even went as far as getting the Ukash voucher but did another google and came across this thread in time! Just trying to get a refund from Ukash now, will cost me 6% but could have been worse....
  • Hi there,
    i had been scammed out of money involving payment for goods on Gumtree using Ukash to pay yesterday.The lady called Jessica and she was a busy clothes designer.I've paid £150 :(I'm feel like an idiot.Be careful on Gumtree.Full of scams...:((
  • Exactly Jessica her name now.I had paid £150.Feel like an idiot.I think there is impossible to get back the money...:(
  • Jessica has just tried to sell me a Janome sewing machine off Gumtree via UKash. Lots of very strange emails. Machine was advertised as in Liverpool, but is now in Scotland!
    Beware!
    Fancy my seller also being called Jessica, I'm sure it's just an innocent coincidence!
  • ljh4ka
    ljh4ka Posts: 1 Newbie
    i could of done with reading all this a week ago, i got scammed off an ad on gumtree for quite a few hundred pound, when a price sounds too good to be true it probably is, i recall even mailing that to the scammer as well. i should of been more cautious when they asked me to pay by a method i have never heard of before, let alone used. i did a quick check of the ukash site and everything looked sweet. the "scammer" sent fake invoices to my e-mail which all looked the part, official looking logos the works, even links to take u to the genuine site of ukash. !!!!!!. i was too excited in my "bargain" that i rushed down to shops to get my ukash vouchers. i messaged the scammer to ask if they received payment, having had trouble doing this after failed attempt of them not being verified i rung ukash for help on "making payments", for them to tell me i am being scammed, ukash were then able to track my vouchers and cancel them. i am in the process of getting a refund from ukash only because after sending the 19 digit voucher numbers i did not enclose the value of each voucher. ukash will take 6% fee off my vouchers for a refund but at least i am getting a lump of it back, they told me how extremely lucky i am, personally i feel stupid and cheated.
    i reported the ad on gumtree after replying to the ad off a friends e-mail account being interested in the ad, they sent the exact same messages, trying to "scam" again, i just replied i would rather view item first and pay on collection, sadly i got no reply, awww.
    i am a big fan of real hustle and never thought i would get caught in a scam, certainly not for that amount of money, but god have i learnt.
    police informed, and to my surprise there is nothing they can do. !!!!!!???
    where is the justice!!!!
    p.s. also watch out, when getting caught up in these scams, some may send virus through e-mail, it took me a few days to get mine clean.
    hope this at least helps somebody from this kind of scam, since the police won't help you, i kind of feel i have a duty!! STAY SAFE!!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure