Kids keep leaving the lights on

Options

Comments

• trailingspouse
    Options
    Shouting 'Switch the light off' is better for their teeth than bribing them with sweets.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    gerdo wrote: »
    Replace all your bulbs with LED bulbs, at least that way when the lights are left on, they will not be costing you too much in electricity

Indeed, no-one should still be using incandescents in a domestic setting, not if they either worry about electricity bills or carbons.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don’t know how old your children are but show them the electricity bill every month and work out how many packets of sweets or crisps that would buy !!,
    If they’re still feeling unfamiliar,air about their way around the house when it dark, especially upstairs Why not install some of these little night lights in spare sockets which come on when the light drops to a certain level.
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    As an adult I'm still terrible for wandering out of a room and leaving the light on. My mum used to use the Blackpool line when I lived back home.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    As an adult I'm still terrible for wandering out of a room and leaving the light on.
    So am I and I don't care. I know how little electricity a lightbulb uses these days and it adds up to a couple of quid a quarter.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 November 2017 at 8:19PM
    Options
    Terrible here as well, like others for the few pence it costs I'm not that worried.

However I have a 10 year old who keeps telling me to turn off the lights :rotfl:or goes behind me and does it :D

They learnt about energy saving at school and hes been like it since, the same with recycling although I am pretty good with that anyway.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you find the answer please educate both my kids and my husband. :mad:

I regularly arrive home from work or come downstairs in a morning to find every light on!

I have been known to text from work, please ensure that there's only lights on in rooms a human is in before I get in.

We did have an electricity monitor and could see at any one time how much electricity was being used per hour. I could get the kids to run round the house to knock the cost down - if they're young enough you might get them to do this Andrea.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Never understood the fascination with turning lights off. In terms of cost its negligible if using the right bulb. Far more important things to nag kids about
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    svain wrote: »
    Never understood the fascination with turning lights off. In terms of cost its negligible if using the right bulb. Far more important things to nag kids about

This as a money saver you will have bulbs that cost pretty much nothing these days. Hey even the old one's (Say a 150W) were not anything near a heater.

This reminds me of the people that have electric heating running 24/7 and say their bill should be cheap as they have LED lighting. Too much emphasis is put on the unimportant parts of electric saving.

Much like when my work sent around an email a few years back about turning monitors off completely. I did mention the savings were based on CRT's we had not used in years, and that they actually had no off switch (I button cannot turn off completely, it must be a switch (ok I admit it can but it cannot then turn back on so it is never used that way)). And that a modern monitor on standby powering 1 led and the button to turn back on uses less in one year than they wasted in other areas. See, it's easy to focus where it's not needed. (You have wasted more energy posting this question that would be saved in 10 years if you have modern bulbs).
  • Moogles44
    Options
    I bought an electric meter monitor so can see when lights are on , it works with the younger kids as I’m educating them how much it makes monitor go up when things are left on so they will turn them off as I send them off to do it.

Teenagers just say I’m mental keep telling everyone to turn things off and it’s like talking to a brick wall. To be fair teenagers do no everything so they must be right !
    If you don’t like a thread or post just move on by.

Never a need to be ugly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport