Blended family, who gets the small bedroom?

Options

Comments

• svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How lucky these boys are to have a room apiece, perhaps the suggestion that they share would stop the squabbling about something so insignificant as size of own room.

Edit: particularly if you need to use a large TV/gaming chair as a form of blackmail. Get real!

insignificant to you maybe ..... to a child it is a big deal.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, to you it is a big deal. You make the decision whether you feel you need sweetners or not.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bigheadxx wrote: »
    I would much rather my son have the bigger room

What does your GF think?
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, to you it is a big deal. You make the decision whether you feel you need sweetners or not.

No ... It IS to a child .... This isnt the dark ages. Dictatorial parenting is a last resort and if have a good relationship with them is rarely needed for bigger decisions.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Have you asked the kids to come up with a solution?
    I would tell them that it has to OK'd by the adults, but you'd appreciate them all talking together to see if they can work out an agreement.
    My experience is that sparks some general problem-solving.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Now ask the kids if they want double or single beds?

Seems to be a thing with teenagers that they like to sprawl across double beds, even when that leaves little space in the room.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • bigheadxx
    bigheadxx Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    What does your GF think?
    jackyann wrote: »
    Have you asked the kids to come up with a solution?
    I would tell them that it has to OK'd by the adults, but you'd appreciate them all talking together to see if they can work out an agreement.
    My experience is that sparks some general problem-solving.

She doesn't want her kids to get the short straw but she gets where i am coming from as well. At the moment the kids don't see that much of each other and they not that close. We all had sunday lunch today and I said to my eldest to be a bit sensible about it but the subject didn't come up when we were all together.

We are going to arrange a sleepover next week so maybe I could get my son to bring the subject up with her eldest but I don't want them to entrench their positions which means one of them will be really upset because i still think a sweetener to her eldest will work. We haven't even bought the place yet!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    Can you build a partition in the big room to shrink it?

You didn't answer this- put up a partition so the room is the same size as the other one, and has a lobby area for your gym.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • bigheadxx
    bigheadxx Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    You didn't answer this- put up a partition so the room is the same size as the other one, and has a lobby area for your gym.

that actually is a good idea!
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bigheadxx wrote: »
    . We all had sunday lunch today and I said to my eldest to be a bit sensible about it but the subject didn't come up when we were all together.

maybe I could get my son to bring the subject up with her eldest

Why don't you bring it up? I don't understand why you are waiting for your son to bring it up? Just get them all together and talk about it.

The Sunday dinner was ideal, talk about moving house and everyone's room.

Don't leave it to your son.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure