PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB - Hw long before seller solicitor send initial draft of contract

Comments

• Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Call the estate agent again and ask them to call the vendor to ask:
    • Has the vendor formally instructed their solicitor, and signed a letter/form to confirm they accept the terms offered by the solicitor
    • Has the vendor filled out the Sellers Property Information Form and returned it to their solicitor?
    • Has the vendor completed the Fixtures and Fittings form, and returned it to their solicitor?
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We ended up waiting almost 6 week!. Our sellers solicitors were really slow even with our solicitors chasing them (emailing, calling and in writing). Our solicitors informed us that they couldn't start searches etc without this. Eventually our sellers put in a complaint because they were having no response or feedback as to what was happening. We're all good no though and should be exchanging and completing next Friday. I know it's a pain but jut keep chasing and you'll get there eventually!
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

As mentioned, valuation survey already with lender at the agreed transaction price.
    I am expecting HomeBuyer report tomorrow.

Has the mortgage offer been issued yet?
  • Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Has the mortgage offer been issued yet?
    Yes and the estate agent has been made aware of this.

I need to accept the offer which has a small non-refundable fee. I will pay this only if I know vendor is planning to sell the property.
  • Check with the estate agent if the vendor is arranging more viewings to get a higher offer price.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It can really depend on the vendors solicitors and how competent, or otherwise they are. I agreed to purchase on the 1st February, there is no chain and the house is empty. It took until the second week of April for the vendors solicitors to draft the contract, we already had all the necessary searches back.

It then became clear there were huge problems with the title, the property had been purchased by the vendor two years earlier using the same solicitors who had failed to notice there was no planning permission (newly built property) no rights of access over the driveway to the garage and the Transfer had been written back to front! This meant the buyer gave rights to the seller instead of the other way around and would require a Deed of Variation.

My solicitor wrote to them on 16th April, they responded, failing to answer any of the serious issues on 31st May, we responded the following day and we are still waiting. So far almost 6 months and we haven't even reached exchange, if there was another similar property on sale I would have backed out long before now. If the solicitors you are dealing with are in West Yorkshire, I had better not identify them any closer, then good luck.

As others have said keep pestering the EA, in my case they telephoned every day for 8 days but could never speak to anyone. They advertise the fact that they are cheaper than competitors, they maybe but the stress for buyer or seller simply isn't worth it.
  • gill15
    gill15 Posts: 18 Forumite
    It's been 6 weeks for me, everything on my end is totally done, mortgage etc and no chain at my end, seller moving to parents property and delays are apparently caused by seller not bring in documents, seller going on holiday, sellers broken foot. Very frustrating and my moving date is supposed to be this Monday,, original agreed date was last Friday
  • It has been >3 weeks now with no paperwork from vendor's team.

At 3 weeks since offer acceptance, response from estate agent was:
    vendor solicitors have still not received instruction paperwork back from the vendor
    • the property was advertised with no onward chain.
    • vendor had found a place to move which according to estate agent they were going to move in 5-6 weeks.
    • Estate agent had told me that vendor wants sale to go through as soon as possible and has no preference on completion date since there is no chain.
  • When we bought our house a few months back, it took 3 weeks for our solicitor to get the draft contract pack from the vendors solicitors. Our purchase was chain free.

As it happpened, we had some survey issues that needed resolving before we were prepared to pay out for the searches, these had come up the week before the contracts arrived, so it was good for us in a way as we didn't have to deal with too much at once.
  • Ogriv
    Ogriv Posts: 97 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It was a bit slow for me too recently. I knew it wasn't the seller stalling, since I asked her about it and she copied me into an email chasing her solicitor. In this case it was simply her solicitor taking ages. Maybe they were spreading themselves too thin.
    Eventually my solicitor emailed them saying I was becoming "distressed" and that cleared the blockage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure