Santas challenge 2017

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’m not keen on wrapping either, but I think that’s because the only time I can do it is when the children are asleep and by that time, I’m knackered. I read your post earlier whilst at work and I have a cunning plan... It’s OHs birthday soon and we’ve booked the day off work to spend together. As it’s his birthday, it’s only fair that he gets a lie in, so after I’ve dropped the children off, I’ll come home and get wrapping.

My mum asked me what she should get the children and I suggest Amazon Echo Dots, which are £50. They are currently on offer in John Lewis, so I ordered a couple for her. I’m pleased I could save her a couple of pounds.

I haven’t made any more progress with finishing my shopping, but I’m okay with that. I did buy my first Xmas dinner item, which was a jar of cranberry sauce.
  • chanie
    Options
    I bought my first present for Xmas 2018 today. It was a bauble filled with bubble bath for Dd from Asda for £1. I could give it to her this Xmas, but she has enough for her stocking.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    I have to confess to picking up some presents in early black Friday deals plus I had discount codes aswell-for birthday presents and Christmas next year.
    I worked out today that by shopping throughout the year and being able to find some incredible bargains that I know will be popular presents I have saved £483.67 on 2017 Christmas presents. Couldn't believe it when I worked it out.
    chanie I have been meaning to get to Asda to have a nosy on any bargains. The bauble sounds fab and a great bargain
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • chanie
    Options
    happy kitties you’ve done amazingly well this year. I started shopping throughout the year when I had DS (aged 7) whilst I was on maternity leave. What I realised was that most shops will eventually have a discount, so as long as plan in advance, you can get a deal.

I’ve had a bit of good luck today and managed to track down the illusive Luvabella doll for DD. Luvabella is an interactive doll and is the most sought after toy this Xmas and has been selling out fast. We normally don’t pay much attention to the ‘must have’ toys, but DD loves dolls and I came across Luvabella before realising it was the the No 1 toy of Xmas 2017. Ive kept missing in store deliveries, but managed to get one tonight. DD doesn’t know about the doll, so I wasn’t stressed about not getting it for her, but I’m pleased I could get her one.

We are getting DS a tv for his room and I’ve we’ve seen some on offer. Hopefully, we can get it this week and the rest will be manageable.
  • chanie
    Options
    happy kitties I bought some whisky baubles for OH today. I thought it would be nice for us to have a drink together. I’m somewhat obsessed with baubles now.

I’m hoping to buy DS a TV tomorrow as its Black Friday. I also have a trip planned to my beloved Home Bargains. The children both have some friends birthdays coming up , so I’m hoping they have some good gifts in store.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Ooooooo Chanie where did you get the whisky baubles from please? They sound really fab

Well done on getting the Luvabella doll for ur DD. I had read that they were a popular toy this year but didn't realise that it was the No1 toy for Christmas 2017. That's some feat you've pulled off there to get one.
    I hope u managed to get a tv for DS.

I have to admit to getting a couple more presents-a couple for Christmas next year and some birthday presents so I am just about sorted with people's birthdays up to May next year which takes the pressure off as I have DD birthday in Feb and have only got her a few bits so far. Going to see what people get her for Christmas before I get anything else and keep my ears open in case she says that she didn't get so and so and would have really liked it. DD will be at uni for her birthday so I'm also thinking of putting a box of goodies together and sending it to the halls as a surprise. I would put money on it that she would be more thrilled to receive a parcel rather than the contents!!!!

Christmas wise this year the spare bedroom is filling up with gift bags.
    I'm just trying to find out from my DB what he wants me to do with Dnieces stocking fillers that i buy for him for her every year. Trying to plan bec of being away in Prague and the weekend before that I will also be away. I don't want DN to miss out on her stocking fillers but DB is being less than helpful with information!
    Hope everyone is doing well with their Christmas prep x
  • chanie
    Options
    The whisky baubles are from Sainsbury’s and are £10. They look more like golf balls though. They also have a single golf ball filled with whisky for £3.

Like you, I end up helping others with their gifts. I used to buy stocking fillers for DNs for DSis. Today, I bought OH a birthday present for MIL. She normally buys him a jumper as part of his gift and he has about 7 of them, but none of them are ‘him’. Yesterday, I had a missed call from MIL and I suspected she was going to ask me what she should get OH for his birthday. So I called him to ask what he wanted before calling MIL back. I was correct, she was calling about present ideas. I offered to buy the items myself today, as know what he wanted. I’ve told him to practice his surprised face for when he opens them.
  • chanie
    edited 27 November 2017 at 7:56PM
    Options
    Me and OH bought DS Xmas present today, which is a TV for his room. We took advantage of the Black Friday weekend sales. I know this is a contentious issue as to whether or not the deals are genuine, but I think we got a reasonably good deal, as I’ve been monitoring prices for a few weeks now.

I also made my first ever Xmas pudding this weekend. My parents weren’t born in the UK, so Xmas pud was never something that was a big part of our Xmas meal. I’m the only one that really likes it, so we have a small one from the shop. Last year, I decided that I would make one for Xmas 2017. I’ve done lots of research and I’m hopeful it will turn out okay.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    I saw some whisky baubles in Debenh#ms not far off £30:eek:

Family are being less than helpful, instead of letting me know details they are just assuming I will be in and will crash at mine for the evening before continuing their journey:( before Christmas.What they don't realise is the day they're coming is 'cost@' day that I have with bestie every year-usually for me to pick up pre ordered bargains for the following year:D and my bestie still buying for this Christmas:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Have said to DM that DB is just going to have to stay at hers until I am home. The lack of communication with the family is awful this year:(. On their way back I will have to stay up until 2am for DB to pick up DN and other presents but it would be nice to be asked if this would be okay or even if I would be home.
    I've had this before with the family suddenly turning up and expecting me to leave an important meeting in the past.
    On a positive note because of the Christmas chaos that looks to lie ahead i put my first parcel of presents in the post today and have another ready to send tomorrow:j:j........i even popped letters in:A
    Christmas cards are all prepared and ready to be sent Friday but haven't a clue when the tree will be going up
    Shopping list of bits is up on the fridge for me to pop in an extra item each shopping trip but don't need too much now.

chanie did you manage to get a tv for DS? I also noticed ur signature of ur savings throughout 2017. Are these general savings, presents savings If you don't mind me asking? It's a brilliant amount saved, I know some people never understand why we shop early but there really are savings to be made:)
  • chanie
    Options
    I think we cross posted. Yes, I did manage to get the TV for DS today.

How annoying for your family to drop in on you like that. My in laws are ‘go with the flow’ types and I’m the opposite, so it drives me mad, as I like to know plans in advance and that those plans will be stuck to. Still, at least you’ve told them you won’t be in.

My ‘savings’ challenge is a little personal challenge I do, where I try and reduce the cost of anything I buy. This could be through buying in the sales,using a discount code or loyalty points. It’s similar to what you do for Christmas, but I include all purchases.

The ideal solution is just not to spend any money, but we have a growing family, so there is always ‘something’ involving spending. My thinking is,
    ‘If I have to spend, try to get it as cheap as possible’.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure