Best mobile insurance route?

Hey all,

In preparation for the new iPhone next week, im researching insurance options for the phone to make sure i dont scam myself!

How do you guys insure your phones? assuming the new iphone is around 1k, ill need coverage around that from a reputable provider, but i know 3rd part insurers can be a bit dodgey with paying out on consumer electronics so wanted to go into the process with my eyes open as to what I should be doing

Appreciate the guidance

Comments

• I've been looking at insurance for my soon-to-arrive Galaxy Note 8 recently and have concluded that the best deal is to get a premium bank account. I'm probably going to upgrade my Natwest account to silver or switch to Nationwest. For roughly £12/mos they'll insure up to 4 family phones and come with other inclusive benefits, like travel insurance.
  • kyros wrote: »
    I've been looking at insurance for my soon-to-arrive Galaxy Note 8 recently and have concluded that the best deal is to get a premium bank account. I'm probably going to upgrade my Natwest account to silver or switch to Nationwest. For roughly £12/mos they'll insure up to 4 family phones and come with other inclusive benefits, like travel insurance.

12 a month sounds like a lot as ive seen a fair few policies around the 60 annually mark rather than what would be some 140 via that method? I dont have value for more than 1 phone or travel etc
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have a phone you can afford to replace?

Keep your current phone as backup, works for me.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Have a phone you can afford to replace?

Keep your current phone as backup, works for me.

im an ios developer so need the latest phone, thats not what the thread was about...
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    When was the last time you broke/lost your phone and could have claimed on an insurance policy if you had one?.

Personally I have never lost a phone (or had one stolen) and I've never damaged a phone enough to actually stop it working or cause any issues in using it.

So insurance for me would be a waste of money and all the money I have saved over the years is enough to pay for any replacement phone if I ever did need too.

If your just worried about damaging the phone then consider getting a good case for it. This will also keep it in perfect condition so you can sell it on each year for more money considering you always need the latest phone.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    infernouk wrote: »
    im an ios developer so need the latest phone, thats not what the thread was about...

How do you insure your current phone?

I've never bothered with anything beyond home insurance for my phones.
  • takman wrote: »
    When was the last time you broke/lost your phone and could have claimed on an insurance policy if you had one?.

Personally I have never lost a phone (or had one stolen) and I've never damaged a phone enough to actually stop it working or cause any issues in using it.

So insurance for me would be a waste of money and all the money I have saved over the years is enough to pay for any replacement phone if I ever did need too.

If your just worried about damaging the phone then consider getting a good case for it. This will also keep it in perfect condition so you can sell it on each year for more money considering you always need the latest phone.

ive never had an issue, but i want peace of mind for what is probably a small outlay. Its less about my damage and more about theft as i work in london
  • rs65 wrote: »
    How do you insure your current phone?

I've never bothered with anything beyond home insurance for my phones.

i dont insure it as i have apple care but dont want that this time, i just didnt think it was worth the increase in house insurance premium for loosing a phone?
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    infernouk wrote: »
    i dont insure it as i have apple care but dont want that this time, i just didnt think it was worth the increase in house insurance premium for loosing a phone?

I'd have thought apple care would be best for you as it's important for work. Mobile phone insurance isn't a favourite of mine - too many quirks in cover and bad reviews on claim responses.
  • rs65 wrote: »
    I'd have thought apple care would be best for you as it's important for work. Mobile phone insurance isn't a favourite of mine - too many quirks in cover and bad reviews on claim responses.

yeah this was my thought hence making the post, just i dont think applecare covers theft just breakages
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure