Microsoft office off eBay?

I'm a basic user and all I need is word and maybe excel? I see on eBay they sell really cheap products for like £5 just a download key link for home and student 2016 version, Do these actually work, or will it cause virus/problems with my PC?

Comments

• ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have purchased downloads and physical CDs and USB's through there without any issue.

They tend to be genuine license keys which were not designed for the purpose they are being sold for.

I would probably pay a pound or so more to go through someone with a higher feedback score and history.
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you, I'll Defo try find a good seller.
    There's some office 365 products suggesting they are lifetime. And won't expire. I don't understand this, when 365 is a subscription ? How can they advertise lifetime accounts?
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    If you don't need heavy usage then Open Office and even Google Documents are both pretty good and completely free...
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    There's some office 365 products suggesting they are lifetime. And won't expire. I don't understand this, when 365 is a subscription ? How can they advertise lifetime accounts?
    educational licences
    I purchased 1, had to get login to club area in microsofts portal.office.com site . just checked and it seems the guy i got mine from has 0 items for sale now
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    SeduLOUs wrote: »
    If you don't need heavy usage then Open Office and even Google Documents are both pretty good and completely free...

Add Libre Office to this list. Just change the Save As settings to default to MS Word format rather than .odt and you are good to go.

I've used this for years and had no problems.

https://www.libreoffice.org/
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    Because they are not legitimate.
  • angryparcel
    wongataa wrote: »
    Because they are not legitimate.
    they are legit, they use educational licences, which are bulk licences and technically are only to be used for educations establishments
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    they are legit, they use educational licences, which are bulk licences and technically are only to be used for educations establishments

"technically"??

I would suggest that "legally" would be a better word in that sentence.

Thus they are not 'legit'.
  • angryparcel
    wealdroam wrote: »
    "technically"??

I would suggest that "legally" would be a better word in that sentence.

Thus they are not 'legit'.

If you are a student they you can use these licences, this is why you have to sign up to account on the portal.office.com site with a generated username and password. it is the same way schools and colleges do it, they get these licences which each licence may have 20 keys attached to it, so they can gives out 20 keys per licence to 20 students, so the licences are genuine. i can install either office2016 or office365
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you are a student they you can use these licences, this is why you have to sign up to account on the portal.office.com site with a generated username and password. it is the same way schools and colleges do it, they get these licences which each licence may have 20 keys attached to it, so they can gives out 20 keys per licence to 20 students, so the licences are genuine. i can install either office2016 or office365

Surely the relevant point isn't that the licences are genuine but the fact that reselling those licences on ebay (or elsewhere) will be a breach of the MS licencing conditions, hence the people buying and using the software are not entitled to use it, thus it was not a legitimate sale nor is the new user using it legitimately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure