Need time off - how should I do it?

Options
2»

Comments

• sweaty_betty
    sweaty_betty Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    No. The OP made it absolutely clear that they did not want unpaid leave as they could not afford it.

I was looking at unpaid parental leave (as suggested by a previous poster) but couldn't afford to take the whole period/a large amount of time unpaid. So I was/am looking into a combination of annual leave/sick leave and unpaid parental leave, if this is possible.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I would rather not be in this position, my partner feels similar to me and is limping towards the end of term (although he only has a short break, no long holidays!). Unfortunately we have no one to help with the children so it's all down to us.
    I assumed that you were a single parent. Why is it all down to you to take all the time off? He may not have long holidays. Neither do you!

I would share Undervalued's concerns about this. The manager is supportive (not really the same thing as the employer though!) but there is a point at which they may not be. Being realistic, you are looking to try to find a way to stretch to getting several more weeks off work and paid in full for those weeks. What about your colleagues? Would they perhaps also like several paid weeks with the children? Will they have to pick up your work? This isn't about being unsupportive of your circumstances - it is about the fact that there is only so far that any employer will go. I do understand that the situation with the children is exhausting you, and that is having an impact on your work anyway. But you must also be realistic - as things stand you are not an asset at work, and that makes you vulnerable in all sorts of ways.

Since there are two parents here, can you not look at your own arrangements. If one has to deal with the children whilst the other one sleeps; and you take that in turns, would that help you to be less tired? Could you both get a few weeks of reduced hours? Or both take some leave of some sort to cover several weeks? With two of you, there is far more flexibility available.
  • sweaty_betty
    Options
    I assumed that you were a single parent. Why is it all down to you to take all the time off? He may not have long holidays. Neither do you!

I would share Undervalued's concerns about this. The manager is supportive (not really the same thing as the employer though!) but there is a point at which they may not be. Being realistic, you are looking to try to find a way to stretch to getting several more weeks off work and paid in full for those weeks. What about your colleagues? Would they perhaps also like several paid weeks with the children? Will they have to pick up your work? This isn't about being unsupportive of your circumstances - it is about the fact that there is only so far that any employer will go. I do understand that the situation with the children is exhausting you, and that is having an impact on your work anyway. But you must also be realistic - as things stand you are not an asset at work, and that makes you vulnerable in all sorts of ways.

Since there are two parents here, can you not look at your own arrangements. If one has to deal with the children whilst the other one sleeps; and you take that in turns, would that help you to be less tired? Could you both get a few weeks of reduced hours? Or both take some leave of some sort to cover several weeks? With two of you, there is far more flexibility available.

We do take it in turns, but if both children have disturbed nights, we're both up. And even if it's just one, every other night having little sleep has taken its toll.
    It wouldn't help if he took time off, because the problem is me not being up to scratch at work and being exhausted, having anxiety etc. It'll take a lot more than a couple of good nights sleep to fix that unfortunately.

Re the manager, he's says he's oked the potential time off higher up the chain and that he will manage the workload for people. I have to take his word for it up to a point, but realise that this could put me at an advantage later on.
  • sangie595
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    She specifically said in her OP that she was looking into unpaid parental leave for part of the time!
    Yes - but only if she couldn't get paid leave - annual leave or sick pay.

Undervalued quite correctly said "Ultimately if you are not well enough to be at work then your doctor will sign you off sick. That isn't (or shouldn't) be dependant on whether you will get sick pay. Either you are well enough to be at work or you are not. A sick pay "entitlement" isn't there to be used up like holiday. It is more like insurance. You don't crash your car just so that you get value out of your insurance premium!"
    Sick kids, let alone ones that simply aren't sleeping very well, are not a reason for you to take sick leave. If they are genuinely ill then you have limited rights to short periods of unpaid leave to care for (very short term) or to make arrangements for them to be looked after"

In other words, if you are sick then you can be paid sick pay. That is based on whether you are fit enough to work, not whether your children are sleeping or not. If the children are ill (as in the cause of them not sleeping) then the appropriate leave is dependants leave to make arrangements for them - or unpaid parental leave if you wish to remain at home and care for them yourself (whether they are sick or not). Sick pay is not appropriate for caring responsibilities - and if the OP is too sick to work due to exhaustion, then who is actually caring for the children?
  • sangie595
    Options
    Checking with previous posts, it appears that you have at least one child with a disability. Could you not claim carers allowance as a result? That would enable you to make up some of your income if you were to take unpaid leave or to reduce working hours.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    I think undervalued is confusing parental leave with dependents leave which is indeed intended for short periods of time to arrange care for a sick dependent.

No I wasn't. I had read the OP's posts in the way that Sangie has explained. It seemed clear to me that the OP wanted / needed time off with pay.

If they are willing / able to take their eight weeks unpaid entitlement then that is another matter. However, even then I would caution that it may encourage the employer to take a stricter line with any future sick leave. Ultimately a business needs employees to work, not be off for long periods. It is OK to stand on your rights providing you also remember your responsibilities.
  • sweaty_betty
    Options
    Checking with previous posts, it appears that you have at least one child with a disability. Could you not claim carers allowance as a result? That would enable you to make up some of your income if you were to take unpaid leave or to reduce working hours.

He's no longer eligible for DLA (which is a good thing as it means his health is improving), so we're unable to get carers allowance unfortunately.
  • sweaty_betty
    Options
    Yes - but only if she couldn't get paid leave - annual leave or sick pay.

Undervalued quite correctly said "Ultimately if you are not well enough to be at work then your doctor will sign you off sick. That isn't (or shouldn't) be dependant on whether you will get sick pay. Either you are well enough to be at work or you are not. A sick pay "entitlement" isn't there to be used up like holiday. It is more like insurance. You don't crash your car just so that you get value out of your insurance premium!"
    Sick kids, let alone ones that simply aren't sleeping very well, are not a reason for you to take sick leave. If they are genuinely ill then you have limited rights to short periods of unpaid leave to care for (very short term) or to make arrangements for them to be looked after"

In other words, if you are sick then you can be paid sick pay. That is based on whether you are fit enough to work, not whether your children are sleeping or not. If the children are ill (as in the cause of them not sleeping) then the appropriate leave is dependants leave to make arrangements for them - or unpaid parental leave if you wish to remain at home and care for them yourself (whether they are sick or not). Sick pay is not appropriate for caring responsibilities - and if the OP is too sick to work due to exhaustion, then who is actually caring for the children?

I think I said earlier. It's me who needs the time off as I'm suffering from exhaustion and anxiety. I don't take sick leave if the children are ill, I take annual leave in that case. The children are in school/nursery.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    I looked after my nan for a few years and worked 30 hours alongside it. At times they would ask me to do more and more until I just said I just wanted to work my contract. If you can and they agree it might be worth dropping a day so it gives you time to rest up and catch up (when you go back mind) and make sure your money works for you from bills etc as although you will see a drop in income one day (depending on your wages this is) might not be too bad as 32% at least goes on the various taxes. As if you're working full time and then supporting your family too it's no wonder your burning out.

One thing I've learnt over the years and an ex collegue said to me is you have to come first and you really do. Put yourself first sometimes.
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport