PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

landlord bashing

Comments

• AdrianC - thank you for taking the time to answer my post.

Yes the mortgage figure is correct. However it is split over 2 mortgages - a 50% BTL mortage secured on the rented property and a 50% residential mortgage secured on my own flat (previously owned outright). Thus the cost to me in total of buying the 145K flat is £920 per month. The mortgages are also over 16 years not 25.

I understand that yield from a property is defined by the rental income / property price x 100. In this case my yield is approx 5.5%. However I would say yield should be (rental income - costs)/property price. The only costs you would take into account are running costs ie insurance, gas inspections etc. You would not include the mortgage. Why?
    We are working out the yield (money in) as a % of the money invested (145K).
    The £920 per month is the cost to me of obtaining 145K. I don't actually have 145K.
    If I had 145K in cash and bought the property outright it would be giving me a yield of 5.5%.
    If I put that same cash in the bank I would be getting probably less.
    You are calculating my profit (or in this case loss) not yield.
    I think that was the whole point of my post to show that whilst my yield was decent I was not some rich nasty landlord.

If you know where to get a better return on 145K than 5% per annum I would be happy to hear about it. Honestly I would. Having spent years putting money into a pension I am happy this gives better odds. I can't see any banks bettering these rates but I am happy to be proven wrong.

Ah so landlords are charities when they are decent and horrible when they are not. Can't win then.
    :)
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Judges form precedents, especially in higher courts. Precedents determine interpretations.

Much of the detail of contract law is codified, built on top of basic common law principles. The one thing you forgot to mention about judges making common law... it happened over centuries.

Just saying that judges do make mistakes, whether it's bias or not I don't know. I wasn't there.

but:

http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2016/05/24/judges-making-mistakes-possession-orders-massive-scale/
  • Guest101
    LadyL2013 wrote: »
    Well yes, there is only one type of bread and your options are to have no bread at all, to borrow the bread off of me or buy your own bread, but if I buy your bread, you're left with only 2 choices. There are other breads, but you're likely to run into the same problem. - Am I? Why?

The law wouldn't be prohibiting landlords from buying property, far from it, it would just be saying that in X situation - and what is X situation. This is your policy, so expand upon it. with X type of property - what is x type of property? , FTB get first priority. It's no different to waiting lists for other things, it just means those who need it most, get first try (as long as that offer is reasonable) - whats reasonable? What if I don't want to sell to a FTB? . They don't get it for free, they still have to be financially suitable.

And... Where do these FTBs live before they buy?....
  • Guest101
    I see what you're getting at and it's true that some live beyond their means and that's why they can't afford things, but there's also many people living within their means and they still can't afford a property. For example, the average price for a starter home where I live is 150k, let's assume, you've saved your average 10k deposit, hen you'd need to be earning at least 28k - what just a bit more than the average salary? between two of you? a year to get a mortgage for said property and that's being optimistic. The average wage for the UK last time I checked was about 25k. So even if you're earning about average and have saved a deposit, you're still out of luck in many areas.

Only if you're buying on your own. - I could equally say those doing that are being selfish, that home could be rented to a couple with a child instead...
  • LadyL2013
    LadyL2013 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Guest101 wrote: »
    And... Where do these FTBs live before they buy?....

With parents, but it's better for the economy for people to be on the property ladder and the fact that no one particularly wants to live with their parents especially when you couple up or have a child.
    Only if you're buying on your own. - I could equally say those doing that are being selfish, that home could be rented to a couple with a child instead...

Well in social housing that IS how it's prioritised, but a couple with a child aren't likely to be looking at a 1 bed anyway.
  • Guest101
    With parents - Hold on, since when is this a 'thing'? I don't want my kids living with me until their mid twenties, I certainly wouldn't want them buying a house without ever running a household, or getting financially linked to a person they've not lived with... How is any of that sensible? , but it's better for the economy for people to be on the property ladder and the fact that no one particularly wants to live with their parents especially when you couple up or have a child. - Why's it better for the economy for people to be on the property ladder? I'm just curious why you think this

Well in social housing that IS how it's prioritised - single people over families? I think not , but a couple with a child aren't likely to be looking at a 1 bed anyway.

neither are most FTBs.
  • LadyL2013
    LadyL2013 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    neither are most FTBs.

Well where else do you suppose people live if they can't afford to rent a place? Many choose to live with their parents rather than rent because renting means they are spending more and thus means they are likely to take longer to save for a mortgage. If you're not in a couple, you housing options are fairly limited in terms of a mortgage.

If people have more disposable income (mortgage payments being cheaper than rental payments in many cases), then that money will be spent in businesses etc and that is beneficial to the economy. What isn't beneficial is people not being able to afford to buy anything because they are spending most of it on rent.

No, I mean in social housing families will be placed above single people, that's done out of need, so it's not like it doesn't happen or isn't workable.

Well then if an FTB is shooting above what they can afford and is too snobby to live in a 1 bed, then that's their fault, but many 2 bed properties are way beyond affordable where I'm from. It's one bed or nothing unless you are earning a substantial wage.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well where else do you suppose people live if they can't afford to rent a place?
    They can rent a room in a shared property.

If they can't afford to rent a place, they certainly can't afford to own it.
  • Guest101
    Well where else do you suppose people live if they can't afford to rent a place? - So you think they can afford to buy, but not to rent?? Many choose to live with their parents rather than rent because renting means they are spending more and thus means they are likely to take longer to save for a mortgage. - Yes I know, it's called growing up. If you're not in a couple, you housing options are fairly limited in terms of a mortgage. - but not it terms of renting. And most FTBs are couples

If people have more disposable income (mortgage payments being cheaper than rental payments in many cases) - Not really, a rented room is cheaper than a mortgage , then that money will be spent in businesses etc - 'in business' ? that's your logic. Well letting property is a business, so they'd be spending a lot more by renting... and that is beneficial to the economy. What isn't beneficial is people not being able to afford to buy anything because they are spending most of it on rent. - But they're spending it 'in business' if they rent? <im confused again>

No, I mean in social housing families will be placed above single people, that's done out of need, so it's not like it doesn't happen or isn't workable. - But families don't want 1 bedroom properties? That's what you said. I think most families would take that over the streets, but that's by the by.

Well then if an FTB is shooting above what they can afford and is too snobby to live in a 1 bed, then that's their fault, but many 2 bed properties are way beyond affordable where I'm from. It's one bed or nothing unless you are earning a substantial wage.- whats a substantial wage?

Can we go back to the criteria you mentioned?

When would people have to sell to FTBs? What's a reasonable offer? - this was your policy, can you please expand?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    AdrianC wrote: »
    They can rent a room in a shared property.

If they can't afford to rent a place, they certainly can't afford to own it.

I thought "owning" (monthly payments at the lowest rates since Fred Flintstone walked the earth) was supposed to be cheaper than renting, according to many a "Wise" Old Owl on here anyway...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure