Radiator reflector panels - most effective

Comments

• keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Spam, lovely Spam!
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • Radflek Radiator reflectors are great. I have used them in my new house and behind all of my radiators. I think I bought a pack large enough for 10 radiators. Found these on ebay but you can also buy online at many eco stores. Hope this helps someone. Thanks
  • phead
    phead Posts: 214 Forumite
    Radflex are great, I wear 4 on my head, tin foil hats are so last year!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    scott.tb25 wrote: »
    Radflek Radiator reflectors are great. I have used them in my new house and behind all of my radiators. I think I bought a pack large enough for 10 radiators. Found these on ebay but you can also buy online at many eco stores. Hope this helps someone. Thanks

Ive bought the same and once i have time to fit it i hope it will be a MSE as the info suggests
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    scott.tb25 wrote: »
    Radflek Radiator reflectors are great. I have used them in my new house and behind all of my radiators. I think I bought a pack large enough for 10 radiators. Found these on ebay but you can also buy online at many eco stores. Hope this helps someone. Thanks

Not really as this is a 6 year old post.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mbspuk wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a reasonably cheap place to buy good quality radiator reflector panels (the PVC ones coated in aluminium).

I haven't seen them in my local B&Q or Homebase.

Why do you want to fit them behind the radiator??????????????
    When all the walls in your house are absorbing the heat.
  • Absolute waste of time, agree with plumb1.
    All surface will allow the transfer of heat (this called be U value). The transfer is obviously hot to cold. In winter the walls, floor and ceiling allow the transfer of energy to outside, in summer the reverse occur still hot to cold.
    To minimise the transfer of heat you need to increase the U value, this is achieved by insulating the surfaces.

Reflecting the energy will have no significant saving
  • I disagree.
    There are three ways of transfering heat. Conduction, convection and radiation.
    Foil will not help stop the transfer of heat by conduction or convection (though any insulating backing of these products might reduce heat loss by conduction). However it will reflect radiated heat that would otherwise be absorbed by the wall.
    It is correct that all the walls absorb heat, but most of this transfer is by conduction, only objects (walls) very close to the radiator will absorb significant amounts of heat by radiation (the intensity of the radiation is proportional to the cube of the distance from the heat source to the absorbing body).
    So I believe is is correct that you can achieve an efficiency improvement or gain more warmth (as the reflected radiation can then hopefully be absorbed by the air) by reflecting some of the radiated heat of the radiator.
    Whether it is actualy financially effective to do this is another matter.
  • janaltus
    janaltus Posts: 155 Forumite
    TempName wrote: »
    the intensity of the radiation is proportional to the cube of the distance from the heat source to the absorbing body

Don't you think MSErs need to know that the intensity of radiation is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point source?

The answer, surely, is to stop using these wall-hugging modern radiators and return to the Victorian-style floor standing ones that often stood about a foot or more away from the wall. Or, I'm told, slap a couple of polystyrene tiles on the wall, behind the radiator.
  • PMSL - What a quality thread!
    Housework only gets noticed when it's not done.
    My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
    Can never keep up with the thread - otherwise I'll never get anything done! But hugs to All :grouphug:
    XxX
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport