Cam belt change cost

Comments

• vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Gulp !!

Focus 1.6 petrol.

£105 Labour, £52 belt and bits. 4 weeks ago !

Audi S4

£800 labour £200 belt and bits

on the bright side it does have four wheel drive, sticks to the road like glue, does sub 6 sec 0-60 and 150mph when pushed
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Last year we were going to be £500 parts and labour from an Audi garage (we have an A4). We went to a VW garage instead and they charged £250.
  • vaio wrote: »
    Audi S4

on the bright side it does have four wheel drive, sticks to the road like glue, does sub 6 sec 0-60 and 150mph when pushed

Ah well, an Audi - engine right at the front, need to swing the bumper right over and take off front of the car to get to the engine/cam belt - see your point. Don't see point of paying £800 in labour tho - say it would be about a 6 hour job - blimey their labour rates are a tad high! Try a good independent garage next time! :D
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • jackieb wrote: »
    Last year we were going to be £500 parts and labour from an Audi garage (we have an A4). We went to a VW garage instead and they charged £250.

Good grief! Thats exceptionally good. Sure they did it?!!:rotfl:
    Hope they did the tensioners as well - although the parts themselves are not horrendously dear. Must've done it real quick............ :D
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • vaio
    Ah well, an Audi - engine right at the front, need to swing the bumper right over and take off front of the car to get to the engine/cam belt - see your point. Don't see point of paying £800 in labour tho - say it would be about a 6 hour job - blimey their labour rates are a tad high! Try a good independent garage next time! :D

Yep, bumper, front panel, air con, rad & fans, oil coolers etc all have to come off just to get to the engine. It is quite a big job.

I spend Christmas in Germany so actually got it done at a dealer over there. UK dealer wanted £1k to do the belt & water pump etc, the German dealer did it plus a service for 1000 euros. It’s now at the stage where a full dealer history isn’t worth the extra cost so it’ll be DIY or independent from now on.
  • I pulled a really good MSE flanker with my cam belt change last year. I bought the kit of parts (belt, pulley, tensioner, springs) on eBay for about half of what the garage charged me for one 5 years ago and about one third of what the Ford one would cost now. You then just get the garage to fit it. I did do it at the same time as a service, though.

If your pulleys and tensioners are plastic (most are) get them changed as well. They don't wear the belt out like the old metal ones used to do, but they get affected by the heat from the engine. They now tend to disintegrate more than the belts snap. However, the consequences are the same.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • vaio
    I pulled a really good MSE flanker with my cam belt change last year. I bought the kit of parts (belt, pulley, tensioner, springs) on eBay for about half of what the garage charged me for one 5 years ago and about one third of what the Ford one would cost now. You then just get the garage to fit it. I did do it at the same time as a service, though……..

The downside of this is that if it fails a month or two or six after you have it done you are going to get all sorts of arguments about was it a defective part or did a mechanic forget to tighten something.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    Good grief! Thats exceptionally good. Sure they did it?!!:rotfl:
    Hope they did the tensioners as well - although the parts themselves are not horrendously dear. Must've done it real quick............ :D

The tensioners were done as well. I still have the bill. :)
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    vaio wrote: »
    Audi S4

Focus 1.6

Has 4 wheels, hasn't left the road yet, haven't got a calendar to time it, and does the legal limit without being pushed ! :rotfl: AND does 40 to the gal !
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Focus 1.6

Has 4 wheels, hasn't left the road yet, haven't got a calendar to time it, and does the legal limit without being pushed ! :rotfl: AND does 40 to the gal !

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Nice one.. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family