PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Re ERNIE, if the odds are say 10,000-1 and you only hold one bond then that bond has one chance in ten thousand. If you hold ten that doesn't really decrease the odds to one chance in a thousand, it means that each of the ten bonds has one chance in ten thousand and as you hold ten you have more chances of the one in 10,000 coming up. Ultimately it works out the same really.

However, according to the NS&I site the numbers are generated totally at random and then matched to bond numbers to check for matches. This is very different to a list of bonds in numerical order with a machine programmed to stop randomly. So it makes no difference if you hold consecutive blocks or not. Cos I'm going to win next month. So there :p.

The numbers that are selected by ERNIE are the holders' numbers, not the individual bond numbers, so me & GQ have just as much chance as any mega investor. And just as a completely random fact, I drive past ERNIE every time I drive onto the M55 to escape from home!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2016 at 3:44PM
    Floss wrote: »
    The numbers that are selected by ERNIE are the holders' numbers, not the individual bond numbers, so me & GQ have just as much chance as any mega investor. And just as a completely random fact, I drive past ERNIE every time I drive onto the M55 to escape from home!

I didn't realist that, Floss. It's piqued my curiosity, as I invested a good bit of my moderate inheritance in Premium Bonds. Whenever I have a win it lists the number of the bond that won on my account page, so there is a link somewhere.

On average I get about 1% interest (some months no prize, occasionally 2x£25 prizes). I only get 1.3% on a loyalty saver with my bank, so I reason that the lower interest offsets the cost of one lottery ticket a week (it's less really). The big thing for me is that I am not tempted to nibble at it as not as easy to transfer straight to my current account. I like the fact that each month two numbers are guaranteed to give two people somewhere a million pound win. No rollovers or 'causes'.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I've just realised that I haven't put down a single slug beer-trap this year. The spring and summer just flew by, so no veggie planting.
    Just a random thought as I'm chucking out a big plastic cup ( freebie drink today) that would do very well as a beer-trap.
    I've spent so much of this year feeling stressed or being unwell that I haven't actually achieved very much. This thread has given me so many chuckles when I really needed them. Who would have thought that blunt scissors, manky dentures and Autumn Gold would bring such joy? I don't think this is the kind of joy that the Great Leader envisaged, but it works for me.
  • Afternoon all, hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend.

GQ, I saw a shelf full of these yesterday in Home Bargains, it made me think of your issue in the cupboard:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/24573/Mega-Moisture-Trap

Lakeland at 11.99 is a bit pricey.

In HB, I think it was around the £2 mark, also it had crystals included.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry but I think the suggestion that they are picking winners via their holders number is completely wrong, otherwise why do you get a letter quoting a winning bond number. Also we've got some big blocks with consecutive numbers, I'm sure on the odd occasion we have won with numbers from the same block that are nearer than 1100 apart. And if all holders had an equal chance of winning, as you say a holder with £1 invested would win as often as somebody with £50,000 and that just does not happen.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Ahh, but joy can be found in the most unexpected of places, can't it? I find it reassuring to know that others are out there are, with individual variations, having the same major and minor scuffles with Stuff. We can support each other and laugh at the ridiculousness of life.

Just had the news in the last hour that Nan passed away peacefully earlier today. My Dad and Aunt, her two children, were on their way into the hospital to visit when the call came. They didn't quite make her bedside for the moment, which may be for the best, for them. She hasn't been conscious for some days now and hasn't known her visitors for a week or more.

Just glad I made that long trip to say goodbye when I did.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    GQ my deepest condolences to you and your family. I'm glad you got to see your nan and say your goodbyes and I'm glad the end was peaceful for her.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    (((((Greyqueen)))))
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thank you.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My condolences to you and your family.
    All that clutter used to be money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories