Insurance won’t payback for additional flights

Hi. I went on holiday with my disabled daughter and I was very unwell 2 days in and needed to fly home early. My insurance company have accepted my claim and paid out for the days of the holiday that were lost and also for our return flights that we didn’t use but they won’t pay for the additional flights that I had to pay for to get me and my daughter home. Any help really appreciated

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you looked at what your policy does and doesn't cover in the case of curtailment? What does it say?
  • suzylee
    suzylee Posts: 23 Forumite
    Hi. It says they may pay for curtailment up to a certain amount due to illness or death. No where does it say they don’t
  • lisyloo
    There should be a great deal more detail than that in the policy wording of what they do and don't cover. Which company are you using and what is the product name (might be able to get the policy wording on-line).
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    suzylee wrote: »
    Hi. It says they may pay for curtailment up to a certain amount due to illness or death. No where does it say they don’t

MAY does not mean will.

Was the insurance company or a medical person involved in the decision to fly home or did you decide yourself?

What have the insurance given as the reason for not paying.
  • suzylee
    I got my travel insurance from boots, I went for the one trip platinum cover. I flew home and got medical treatment on my return because had I been hospitalised there then that would have left my daughter in a very vulnerable position. All of which they were happy with because upon reciepts of my medical report they paid out with any problems. They are saying that basically I will be in financial gain if they were to reimburse the additional flights. I am on m iPad at the moment, when I get home I will go on my laptop and then I can probably attach relevant communication as well as the wording on my policy.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,101 Forumite
    Were the flights you booked home cheaper than those that you were reimbursed for?
  • suzylee
    No unfortunately not
  • suzylee
    [quo[/quote]
  • suzylee
    This is the latest email received.
    Thank you for your communications regarding your recent travel insurance claim. Your complaint has been passed to me in my capacity as complaints officer for the insurers. It is my role to look at claims both in accordance with the terms and conditions of the policy and to ensure that you have been treated fairly.

You have asked us to review the settlement of a claim submitted under the curtailment section of the policy. I can see form the file that the costs of your additional flights have not been settled for which you feel should be covered by the policy.

In respect of the claim submitted, whenever a trip is taken there are a number of costs that the insured person is expected to not recover. Had no claim be experienced then they would not be expected to recoup the costs of their travel. With this in mind the policy would not look to reimburse the original flight costs where a subsequent ticket had been purchased as this would in effect be at a financial advantage to the insured person.

The wording under the curtailment section of cover stipulates that it is the unused transport and accommodation that is reimbursed in the event of a valid claim being submitted. As the costs requested were those not specified in the policy wording I am sorry to advise that the claim has been assessed correctly as per the policy terms and conditions.

I realise that this is not the outcome you would have hoped for and that this may come as a disappointment, however given the circumstances described above I am unable to consider further settlement of the claim.

Should you remain convinced that you have not been treated fairly as per the terms and conditions of your policy, you have the right to refer the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service, free of charge- but you must do so within 6 months of the date of this letter. If you do not refer your complaint in time, the ombudsman will not have our permission to consider your complaint and will only be able to do so in very limited circumstances. For example, if the ombudsman believes that the delays was a result of exceptional circumstances.
  • lisyloo
    suzylee wrote: »
    No unfortunately not

Right, so you've actually gained on that aspect, because they re-imbursed you for the original flights and you've paid for cheaper ones.

Just to be clear on it are you saying you expecting them to re-imburse you for both sets of flights and you fly home for free?

If I've understood it right then your insurer is correct.
    You still have to pay to fly home as you would normally on holiday.
    You've been fortunate because you got refunded for the more expensive flights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure