TV licence & Sky I'm done with you! Netflix here I come!

Hi MSEers!

I'm currently spending £12.12 a month on tv licence and £55.49 a month on sky variety Bundle, unlimited (snail like) broadband and the obligatory line rental... and after 14 years I've had enough!

I'm going to cancel the lot, and get new speedy broadband (my next stop after here!) but wondered what people had found was the cheapest way to connect 8-10 year old TVs to the internet to watch Netflix / amazon prime? Is a firestick the cheapest / best way? :money:

Thanks!

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Cheapest way is just to connect the TV/Laptop to the TV via HDMI and let the computer worry about the internet connection. For Amazon Prime and Netflix a Firestick might be easier and more practical if the TV has a USB port.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Has an 8-10 year old TV GOT a (working) USB port? My oldest TV (~7.5 years) has one -but it can only be used for firmware upgrades.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    When you get Netflix can I recommend the excellent Mindhunter that has just startered!
  • Hahah good on you!
  • If for any reason you decide to stick with Sky I can tell you that you're paying at least £25 a month too much, take that into consideration when considering your options.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    For Amazon Prime and Netflix a Firestick might be easier and more practical if the TV has a USB port.

I think ours is through the HDMI AND USB ports.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The Fire stick (and anything similar) will work solely through the HDMI port on the TV. For convenience, if you have it, it'll take power from a USB port on the TV, but it can also take power from another USB port, or a wall charger. Sometimes TV USB ports aren't always live, or don't always provide enough power, so if you have trouble with one, use a dedicated power supply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure