How to find out from charity if a freelancer got paid for 'voluntary' work I did?

Comments

• Good, so they can sue him for their money back.

Unless of course they were daft enough to get you to do the work before his timescale for finishing it had elapsed, in which case they can't.

There's no way where you getting paid makes any legal or moral sense.
    Thanks for both your comments. So he is not entitled to be paid for work he didn't do. Thank you for confirming this. I have no idea whether there was a timescale for completion and if so, what it was. If the payment did happen, it was several months in advance of the project being done.

I feel compelled to point out that at no point did I say I was going to legally pursue the charity to get payment for this work. My query was initally about whether I could get proof that what I suspect occurred actually did. And yes I have read and understood the many comments saying that I cannot get it.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's completely different, because this is not an employment situation, it's a freelance situation. You are getting a salary I presume. I am not. I am self employed and struggling. I volunteered my time and skills in good faith for a charity I believe in, and someone else got paid for my work. I didn't get to claim anything. I have no idea what exactly he invoiced for, as many people have helpfully told me I have no right to know, but it's likely it was several days, on a day-rate. He had nothing to do with the project in the end, he was on holiday the whole time.

What you get is irrelevant though, if I was volunteering my boss would still be paid for what I did.
    He didn't outsource it. There was no agreement between him and me, that I would do his work for free. I was asked by the charity as a volunteer to do the project. The same charity that paid him to do it.

No I just meant, he didn't have to do the work, he could've outsourced it and still been paid
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Thanks for both your comments. So he is not entitled to be paid for work he didn't do. Thank you for confirming this. I have no idea whether there was a timescale for completion and if so, what it was. If the payment did happen, it was several months in advance of the project being done.

I feel compelled to point out that at no point did I say I was going to legally pursue the charity to get payment for this work. My query was initally about whether I could get proof that what I suspect occurred actually did. And yes I have read and understood the many comments saying that I cannot get it.
    No-one can tell you for sure.

If the contract was to have a project completed by date X and it was, then there is no reason for him not to be paid
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2017 at 2:40PM

No, he is legally entitled to be paid for work he didn't do if the contract dictated that he would be paid and they later told him they didn't need it any more. He may even have already done it and just not given it to them. It really doesn't matter. If he was prepared to do it, and was paid in advance, they would struggle to get any court to return it. What question are you actually asking?

What is your concern here? is it mismanagement by the charity or do you feel you have been personally wronged in some way?
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 October 2017 at 2:53PM
    Listen mate I get you............

If someone was paid for work you did voluntary. Then it sort of means you wasted your time volunteering as it cost the charity anyway. You may as well been paid.

Ignore the rudeness just put it down to experience. You did a good thing and that's what counts. Next time you will be wiser.
  • What do you want out of this situation?

Is it a large/ incorporated charity or a small unregistered one?

I want to know what really happened with this project, and to know whether I am right about the freelancer being paid for my work. (I understand that I'm not entitled to see invoices. But it would be nice if the charity would admit it.) From there, I'm not sure. I'd face that when I came to it. At least I'd like an apology and an open discussion, as up till now the manager has been cagey and evasive. For me this is quite personal as I've been involved with the place for a long time, made friends and given a lot of my time. Obviously the charity deciding to pay me for this particular work would be ideal, I can't lie. But I know that's very unlikely.

It's a local branch of a large nationwide charity.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    hyubh wrote: »
    That is out of order - I suggest you retract.

Given you admit as much yourself ....
    Obviously the charity deciding to pay me for this particular work would be ideal
    ...I think I'll leave it as it is.
  • So why did you bring up the fact you're struggling if it's irrelevant?

Or did your moralistic mask slip up for a minute, and you've been exposed as being as dishonest and money-grubbing as said freelancer you're so jealous of? If that's the case, you won't get the answer looking for here - you're beyond help.

Because it's easy for a commenter to say 'My boss gets paid for my work, no biggie' when they are a salaried employee.

You seem to need to cool off a bit. Maybe go for a walk, or eat an orange.
  • I totally get where you're coming from.

You donated your time in good faith, to carry out a project on behalf of a charity.

Someone else comes along, who works on a freelance basis, and (knowingly or otherwise) invoices the charity for the work you'd done, as if he'd done it himself.

And you're concerned because you feel the charity has been cheated out of it's hard-earned money.

I think all you can do is raise your concerns with management. Explain that you are worried that they've paid for something to be done when it had actually been done for free. Beyond that, there's not much you can do about it.

At the end of the day, you're just trying to help by pointing out an unnecessary spend - but they might not want to listen. If the charity wants to waste their money, that's their call - but I would be looking for another charity to support.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Voice your concerns at national level if you feel either somebody has been paid for work they didn't do or that you should have been paid instead. But the charity will not disclose financial arrangements between themselves and third parties (other than donations where prior agreed)
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure