Credit card interchange fees

In 2015 the EU introduced a new law capping credit card transaction charges at 0.3%. I booked a cruise with P&O and they charged me 1.5%. I told them it was illegal but they said their website clearly stated the charges and it shouldn't be a surprise to me. After a few wasted phone calls to their customer services team, I've now written to their CEO.

Any ideas how I can fight this. It's a small amount of cash but I'm annoyed that many companies are ignoring the law and ripping off consumers.

Steve

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You're confusing the cap on interchange with the retailer costs.

Interchange is only part of those costs. They can pass those on but not make a profit on them.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2017 at 10:14AM
    The interchange cap applies to the payment providers/banks providing the service to retailers and business, not to the retailers or businesses themselves accepting payment.

E.g. the likes of Worldpay (Natwest), Global Payments (HSBC), Barclaycard (Barclays) etc who provide card terminals or website payment gateways, charge businesses per transaction a set % or pence.

However being charged 1.5% for a transaction that only cost the business 0.3% (you don't know this for sure) does break the Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012 - which specifically states:
    A trader must not charge consumers, in respect of a given means of payment, fees that exceed the costs borne by the trader for the use of that means.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sparx wrote: »
    However being charged 1.5% for a transaction that only cost the business 0.3% (you don't know this for sure) does break the Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012 - which specifically states:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/04/14/why-we-really-dont-know-what-the-impact-of-credit-card-interchange-fee-capping-will-be/

"The interchange fee is NOT the fee that most shopkeepers pay when they accept a credit card. That fee is set by the bank they work with and includes terminal rental and various other services, plus an amount to recoup the interchange fee. There is no obligation for banks to reduce the fees charged to shops at all."
  • phillw, can you help with advice on credit card charges?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure