Help with Personal Loan

Options

Comments

• Killacam
    Options
    I appreciate it and the rest goes on my clothing addiction and just buying stuff lol, I pay out about 300 a month on smal finances all coming out through direct debit, I need to start saving and I will but right now I need a car aha
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Killacam wrote: »
    I appreciate it and the rest goes on my clothing addiction and just buying stuff lol, I pay out about 300 a month on smal finances all coming out through direct debit, I need to start saving and I will but right now I need a car aha
    As you are finding out, you don't have a right to credit. Lenders can't be forced to loan money to you.

Save for a couple of months and buy a car for £1,800.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Vikipollard
    Vikipollard Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

So...you [STRIKE]can't[/STRIKE] won't save, have a clothing addiction and now you "need" a car, yet you haven't mentioned how you intend to pay for insurance - and for a 22yr old, that won't be cheap... What could possibly go wrong....

Either:

Save 800 per month for 3 months (after all, if you cant make yourself do that, how will you cover the loan?) and then buy the car or

Out of the 800-900 you say you have spare per month, buy a 500 car, and then the 300 you still think you have spare will cover the insurance. You don't need a fancy car. You want one. And if the 6-7000 was intended to cover the insurance as well, then how did you intend to pay for it next year?

Reality check. You should view your disposable income as that which you actually save per month. In your case, this is nothing, so you cannot afford a loan unless you have the discipline to show you can save first.

Harsh? Maybe. But I wish someone had given me the hard line before I believed the same as you do; that just because on paper you can afford it, that's not actually true.
    LBM July 2006. Debt free 01 Sept 12 .. :T
    Finally joined Slimming World: weight loss 33lbs...target achieved 51wks later 06.05.13 & still there :j
    Aim to be mortgage free in 2022. Jan 17 33250 Nov 17 27066 Mar 18 24498 Sep 18 20608 Nov 18 19250 Jan 19 17980 Mar 19 16455 May 19 15024 Nov 19 10488 Feb 20 8150 May 20 5783 Aug 20. 3305 Nov 20 859 Mortgage free, 02.12.2020
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    "lol" indeed. Isn't it hilarious.
  • Killacam
    Killacam Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I appreciate the genuine help from people and I do know I need to start saving, I do however have other means of getting this money so its not a huge problem, I don't need assistance on my finances though I am already trying to get that in order, however the actual fact of me getting declined for credit was a bit of a shock as I always get accepted for things.

Thats my reason for posting and people have answered that. I only need help with my application but thank you for the help and the genuine hard comments which will actually help with my mind set. Saving for the car itself isn't really an option, so I'm wondering what you guys would recommend as I want to do this by myself without help from family. I am looking at finding the cheapest car I can but with certain features like eco driving etc. I am looking at getting a fiesta 1.0 ltr one of the newer shape ones, just want the best advice on how to go about that without borrowing money from family.
  • Killacam
    Killacam Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    "lol" indeed. Isn't it hilarious.

I don't understand?
  • Maximum_Saving
    Options
    I needed to buy a wheelchair accessible car suitable for my son. So in 2013 I found a suitable car and it cost £5995. So I paid for it using cash, a debit card and a credit card. I didn't want to take on a loan because I would have had to pay interest. I liked to use a zero percent interest credit card. I paid off my debt before interest would have been charged.
  • pvt
    pvt Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    Killacam,

The reason you've been refused credit is because in Sainsbury's eyes you fit the profile of a financial disaster about to happen. 22 years old, materialistic desire for high end consumer goods that you cannot afford, and a history of getting into payment difficulties.

You have a reasonable income, which you could easily be saving money from, yet, by your own admission, you're spending your income like pocket money every month till it's all gone.

You may have some (yet to be displayed) self constraint and have the discipline to repay the money you want to borrow, but statistically you're likely to end up deeper and deeper in hock, owing tens of thousands by your mid twenties, and contemplating bankruptcy by your thirties to "reset" your life.

Sorry for my harsh judgemental tone. If it's not to your liking you need to find someone who wishes they had saved less and borrowed more in their earlier life - and you won't find many like that frequenting this site.
    Optimists see a glass half full :)
    Pessimists see a glass half empty :(
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be :D
  • Killacam
    Options
    pvt wrote: »
    Killacam,

The reason you've been refused credit is because in Sainsbury's eyes you fit the profile of a financial disaster about to happen. 22 years old, materialistic desire for high end consumer goods that you cannot afford, and a history of getting into payment difficulties.

You have a reasonable income, which you could easily be saving money from, yet, by your own admission, you're spending your income like pocket money every month till it's all gone.

You may have some (yet to be displayed) self constraint and have the discipline to repay the money you want to borrow, but statistically you're likely to end up deeper and deeper in hock, owing tens of thousands by your mid twenties, and contemplating bankruptcy by your thirties to "reset" your life.

Sorry for my harsh judgemental tone. If it's not to your liking you need to find someone who wishes they had saved less and borrowed more in their earlier life - and you won't find many like that frequenting this site.

The truth is, comments like this actually do help. I appreciate the time taken to write that reply. What do you recommend for me to do? Tesco are apparently a lot easier to get, would you recommend me to apply for that? or not? and just bite the bullet and borrow from family.
  • dresdendave
    Options
    The truth is, comments like this actually do help. I appreciate the time taken to write that reply. What do you recommend for me to do? Tesco are apparently a lot easier to get, would you recommend me to apply for that? or not? and just bite the bullet and borrow from family.

Virtually every reply has recommended what you should do. Save up for a few months and buy a cheaper car. Many of those replies were probably from people who had your mind set when they were your age and are now wishing they had acted differently.

It would appear you have no intention of listening to the advice given. But we don't hold grudges, feel free to return for advice in the future when you have a "change in circumstances" and can't afford repayments on the various loans, CC debts you have built up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure