PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour feeding noisy birds

Options

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    evoke wrote: »
    It's actually my fence. I've just spent 30 minutes scrubbing last night's bird droppings off it. It's never been this noisy with birds before.

I cant say that I have ever noticed noisy birds either, how bad can it be.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 19 May 2017 at 9:00PM
    Options
    Sounds like starlings & their babies.

This time of year they gather in large numbers where there is food, making a mess and a racket is quite normal for this group.

The babies squawk constantly and flap around, parents answer, fight with others etc.

The noise is indeed quite incredible!

In a few weeks they'll have separated from parents and you shouldn't get such numbers in.
  • The_Real_Cheddar_Bob
    Options
    enjoy the birds. many people dying of something or other would love to be able to wake up and enjoy them
  • KxMx
    edited 19 May 2017 at 9:31PM
    Options
    That's unfair.

I'm a bird lover and feed the birds, always happy to see them.

However, I withdraw the food for a few days when the starling numbers reach over 30, all squawking, flapping, droppings everywhere, it even gets to the stage that the birds are flying into the windows, my small garden simply can't cope!

Also, they are such a noisy, intimidating mob that none of the wood pigeons, doves, robins, tits will come anywhere near.

Withdrawing the food means they go elsewhere, and don't tend to come back.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As it is your fence, attach sticks to the posts and run bunting between the sticks. This will keep the birds off your fence.

Meanwhile, tell the nieghbour that he must remove his birdfeeders from your fence as he has not gained your permission to use your fence to mount them on.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    I'm a bird lover and feed the birds, always happy to see them.

However, I withdraw the food for a few days when the starling numbers reach over 30.

We don't know it's starlings; they're just 'birds.'

And the decking is just decking, till the spilt seed attracts rats, and then it's a great hidey hole for them.

The neighbour may not be aware that the birds are annoying you and
    leaving droppings all over your hard landscaping, so it's perfectly reasonable to explain how you feel and suggest a re-location of the feeders. However, even away from your fence, it's likely that the queues will still form there and the neighbour probably considers they're doing nothing anti-social.

Birds are noisy at this time of year, kicking-off as soon as its's slightly light. I love it. Special time of year for me.

But just be grateful I'm not next door, because my cockerel has just persuaded one of the hens to crow too, so now they have a battle each morning with the cockerel in the smallholding across the valley, competing with each other, and him!

I don't let them know it's daylight till around 06.30 though. There are limits, even here in the wild West Country!.
  • Ray_Singh-Blue
    Options
    Fit a 500W security light on your property, such that it points directly into your neighbours bedroom window, and is activated by the first wingflap of dawn
  • KxMx
    edited 20 May 2017 at 1:30AM
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    We don't know it's starlings; they're just 'birds.'
    From the clues OP posted, I'm confident it is starlings.
    Exact right time of year for starling babies being out of nest but dependent on parents.
    They gather in large, very noisy groups.
    Return to feed multiple times a day starting early.
    " noise unbearable"
    "never been this noisy with birds before".

I don't know any other common bird species that mob together like starlings do. Nor any which make anywhere so much noise.

In my own garden, the only other noise (excluding bird song 'cause that is lovely) I get from birds is when 2 wood pigeons decide to slap their wings at each other in a fight.

To my mind, if bird noise is classed as unbearable then it has to be Starlings. Has to be heard to be believed this time of year when the groups get large
    :eek:
    I can also tell some posters haven't had the pleasure of a starling adult/baby mob
    :rotfl:
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I can also tell some posters haven't had the pleasure of a starling adult/baby mob
    :rotfl:
    Then here's a rather bad picture of some in my 'garden,' but before the babies:
    P1050978.jpg
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    But just be grateful I'm not next door, because my cockerel has just persuaded one of the hens to crow too, so now they have a battle each morning with the cockerel in the smallholding across the valley, competing with each other, and him!

This just demonstrates something I've always believed. We insult our feathered friends by using the derogatory term 'bird-brained'. Like the 'triffids' they are just playing dumb, biding their time, thinking how stupid humans are having to walk around or invent complex machines to be able to fly.

After the nuclear holocaust the birds will feast on the cockroaches and be the undisputed kings of the animal kingdom ;)
    I don't know any other common bird species that mob together like starlings do. Nor any which make anywhere so much noise.
    To my mind, if bird noise is classed as unbearable then it has to be Starlings. Has to be heard to be believed this time of year when the groups get large

Feel free to visit my garden at 6:30am when the local magpies decide to start robbing the many blackbird nests in our urban gardens.:mad: You would think the entire world is coming to an end... which I guess for the adult blackbirds probably feels that way :(
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport