Advice desperately needed please

Comments

• Fizz_Bomb wrote: »
    Thank you for your response.

I spoke to both payplan and Stepchange last year who advised IVA and have since spoken to another IVA firm who have said the same, although they are looking at proposing a monthly repayment of as little as £80 per month because of my high outgoings and relatively low income.

I unfortunately don't get maintenance from the children's father.
    I will do a SOA tomorrow when I can get on the laptop.
    Can't thank you enough for replying.

If this is still for the same reasons as previously - that he has the children a couple of nights a week, then he still should be giving you something. At the moment you can't make ends meet - the children's quality of life will suffer. he needs to step up to the plate, frankly. I believe there is a tool on the CSA website that enables you to see how much he *should* be paying, allowing for the time he has custody, etc. If it were me, I'd take that figure, knock 20% off as a goodwill gesture, but tell him he needs to start giving you that amount. Do tell him that from the kindness of your heart you're not asking for what the CSA would stipulate, too - it's amazing how well that focuses the mind! ;)
    Oh yes, if the boards did a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" badge, I'd have two!

As EH says, do a Statement of Affairs for yourself. I've linked it directly, because I'm nice :p

:rotfl::rotfl: I quite deliberately don't - the very act that someone has top put the effort into going to look for it indicates a willingness to sort themselves out. ;)
    mum2one wrote: »
    youve done the hardest step, just check that any company you work with are free ones such as Stepchange / payplan - others are fee paying, xx

Agreed.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Should have added that the high travel cost is my lease car (149 a month and 50ish in tunnel tolls per month)

Also, I have not included in this the NRAM unsecured loan which although I pay nothing towards at the moment, would need to be included in any IVA etc. The total of this is £8340.

Thank you so much again
  • well done - comments in red as usual...

Fizz_Bomb wrote: »
    Here is my SOA as promised, It's bleak :(

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 2
    Number of cars owned.................... 0
    Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 808
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 1058
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 1866

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 500
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 75 This includes single person discount? Do you pay over 10 months, or 12? If 10, apply to pay over 12 instead to help with budgeting
    Electricity............................. 64.5 This and your gas are very high - join the MSE cheap energy club and see where you can move to that would be cheaper - check both single deals and dual fuel offers.
    Gas..................................... 64.5 See above
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 42
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 45 You need to bring this down - you're out of contract now are you?
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 30.5Nope - ditch it. Sorry but it's a pure luxury in your position, and one which you can't afford.
    Internet Services....................... 22.5 Does this include your landline rental?
    Groceries etc. ......................... 280 Reduce by £100 as a starting point. The Old Style boarders will help you if you go and have a good browse around in there for inspiration.
    Clothing................................ 0
    Petrol/diesel........................... 120This is high taking into account your "other travel" figure - can you elaborate on why?
    Road tax................................ 0? - see Petrol/diesel above
    Car Insurance........................... 0? - see Petrol/diesel above
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0 ? - see Petrol/diesel above
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 200 ? - see Petrol/diesel above
    Childcare/nursery....................... 52
    Other child related expenses............ 40 Can you clarify what this is?
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 6 Well done!
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 3 Can you clarify what this is?
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 0
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 6
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1563.12

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 0

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Barclaycard platinum...........7200......170.......0
    Barclaycard visa...............4647......106.......0
    Tesco..........................5256......110.......0
    Barclay loan...................4106......141.......6
    N power .......................250.......30........0
    Next...........................1581......60........20
    Barclay overdrft...............850.......20........0
    Mint ..........................4200......70........19.9
    Total unsecured debts..........28090.....707.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,866
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,563.12
    Available for debt repayments........... 302.88
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 707
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -404.12 That's a massive deficit :(

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 0
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -28,090
    Net Assets.............................. -28,090

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

You're right - it is a bit bleak isn't it. To be honest there are savings, and if I were you I'd look to make them, but I think a further chat with a debt charity and then moving forward into some form of arrangement may be your only option. You MUST do something about it now though - you can see how much worse it's got since you last posted an SOA - imagine where you'll be if you leave action for another year.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • Fizz_Bomb wrote: »
    Should have added that the high travel cost is my lease car (149 a month and 50ish in tunnel tolls per month)

Also, I have not included in this the NRAM unsecured loan which although I pay nothing towards at the moment, would need to be included in any IVA etc. The total of this is £8340.

Thank you so much again

OK ignore my comments on the travel in the SOA comments then - it must be said though, on your earnings, I think you have to question whether you can justify paying that level of travel - is there an option to apply for a transfer to somewhere nearer to home?
    she/her
  • Hi,
    Are you getting the max council tax benefit you can.

I was in a similar position after my kids left but as others have said you MUST get maintenance from your ex, it doesn't matter if he has them a couple of nights a week, you'd be entitled to less but still some!
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I believe there is a tool on the CSA website that enables you to see how much he *should* be paying, allowing for the time he has custody, etc. If it were me, I'd take that figure, knock 20% off as a goodwill gesture, but tell him he needs to start giving you that amount. Do tell him that from the kindness of your heart you're not asking for what the CSA would stipulate, too - it's amazing how well that focuses the mind! ;)

I agree this is something worth looking into. The CM Options website has a calculation tool and also a helpline for advice.

www.cmoptions.org

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Hi, I am only entitled to a small amount of council tax benefit, something like £1.50 per week.
    My ex would make my life a living hell if I applied for maintenance. He really would. Also, he is self employed and I really don't think that he declares anywhere near what he actually earns. I left him, and left him with our mortgage, which he now rents out and he reminds me constantly what a mess I left him in. He would really really make my life difficult if I went down that route and I am, if I'm honest, afraid of him.

No option to move work, my car is £149, petrol around £25 a week which I've rounded up for unexpected extra journies and the toll I lay around £10 a week. No way of reducing that at all, sadly.

Mobile phone contract has another 18 months to run.

Tv could go I guess, it's mainly for the kids really.
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How about Netflix for the children? The basic is £5.99 per month, and my ds loves that he can watch his favourite shows on it.

Other than that, I echo what EssexHebridean has said with regards to your SOA.

Please contact a debt charity, who will discuss all your options with you. Don't use one of the fee paying companies.

Well done for taking the first step.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • I think any debt charity would advise that the TV does go as it's not an essential
  • Thanks, I do have Netflix currently. I need the Internet so wonder if I could reduce my virgin package any futther. There's no Ariel in my house so guessing I'd need some form of free view tv to get even just basic free channels?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure