Breville VKJ142 1.5L HotCup Kettle from George at Asda - £25.00

2»

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    I bought a larger version of this about five years ago. It was more expensive(!) but has a stop button and variable amounts of water can be dispensed. For me, this is important, as one of the reasons I bought it was so that my disabled son can make a cup of tea for himself. He cannot safely lift a kettle. With the dispenser, he can use a large mug but use less water, allowing space for milk and it still not be too full for him to carry.

My mum, who has arthritis, bought the same model as mine about two years ago. She was beginning to have difficulty with the weight of the kettle (even with only a small amount of water in). This is a far safer option.

On a practical level, it's ideal for us. In the morning, I pop my cup under, and my coffee is made by the time I have fed the cat. It's safe, economical, and great for making just one or two drinks. For more, I still use a kettle - but that's not often. It's easy to clean, but for filling, I keep a jug next to it.

The water comes out very hot, maybe not boiling, but too hot for me to drink my black coffee straight away.

I've never had any problems with my Breville onecup, and neither has my mum. If it broke tonight, I'd buy a new one tomorrow.

Aldi sometimes have a smaller version than mine in stock, for around £23, but it doesn't have variable amounts for the liquid, and I don't know if it has a stop button either. However, Aldi electrical goods usually come with a three year guarantee. Having said that, my dispenser is about five years old, used regularly (about 10 mugs of decaff coffee a day), and is still going strong.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Well just used a meat thermometer - not sure on it's accuracy.
    It registered 82°c

from the web - 1 page
    "white and green teas are best at about 70°c.
    For black and oolong teas use water around 85°c.
    For herbal infusions use 100°c water, and 90°c for Chamomile"

and another page

"Hot beverages such as tea, hot chocolate, and coffee are frequently served at temperatures between 160 degrees F (71.1 degrees C) and 185 degrees F (85 degrees C)."

So not sure how you would get a lower or higher temperature unless you get a machine with a variable control

I still like it though - it's convenient, looks nice and the hubby has been shown how to use it for my night time cuppa.
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• greyfox
    greyfox Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Price increased to £34.50 now.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Gave the tesco one a go , only £5 after clubcard boost
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Great spot O.P.

One ordered for collection. The missus drinks loads of tea and always boils about 1 litre each time, so should save a bit of cash in the long run too! :)
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • LuSiVe
    LuSiVe Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Aldi sometimes have a smaller version than mine in stock, for around £23, but it doesn't have variable amounts for the liquid, and I don't know if it has a stop button either. However, Aldi electrical goods usually come with a three year guarantee. Having said that, my dispenser is about five years old, used regularly (about 10 mugs of decaff coffee a day), and is still going strong.

I got one from Aldi that had a slider from small to large cup of water. I stopped using it in the end as I didn't have space for both that and the normal kettle, plus the water didn't come out hot enough for me to add my usual amount of milk to tea and still have a hot drink :)
  • sspyrou
    sspyrou Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting gadget but not convinced of its practicality.

I already have a coffee machine, a kettle and smoothie blender on the worktop.

This would only work as a replacement for the kettle but it seems it not as versatile. For example, How would I fill a teapot or boil some water for a saucepan ?

Spy !
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    sspyrou wrote: »

This would only work as a replacement for the kettle but it seems it not as versatile. For example, How would I fill a teapot or boil some water for a saucepan ?

I got rid of the kettle (well it's at the back of a cupboard :money: ) but I did buy the bigger version that allows you heat variable amounts of water. Use it for all hot drinks and when cooking, it is so much quicker than the kettle. Have had mine for about 9 months now and no problems at all.
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    sspyrou wrote: »

The base is wide enough for a jug or pan but you may have to hold the saucepan.

It is a measured amount so you may have to pour a little water out if need be - or use it for something else.

If I want hot water say for e.g. gravy then I just put the jug underneath and press it for how much I want. Again if it's for say vegs to go on the cooker I just put the pan directly underneath and press a few times.
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts