Full and final settlement help thread

Comments

• Butterfly46
    Butterfly46 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi carbootcrazy! In answer to your questions, yes initially I did approach my creditors myself as SC said the original sum I had available for was not enough for them to approach the creditors on my behalf. Some were original debts, but some had been passed on to DC. Then a family member offered me a higher sum to try to clear my debts and SC said they would they would try to negotiate on my behalf. The offers were around 41% of the debts and after SC explaining my situation, i.e. I had lost my job and am living on my state pension, most of them agreed! As explained earlier, the only two who would not budge were Moorgate who wanted 100% (apparently they are very unreceptive to offers) and Link who wanted 80%, so they are now getting token payments of £1 each per month until my situation improves (hopefully next year when I intend downsizing). Good luck with your F&F offers. SC advised that between 40% & 50% is normally acceptable by creditors, but I have read on here that some people offer 20%/30% and these are accepted! Keep us posted on your situation! :)
  • Thanks very much for your reply, Butterfly:T. That's told me all I need to know.

At the moment I'm not in a position to offer any F&Fs but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a sum of money may become available before too long.

My two biggest debts are with Link so I was very interested to see that they want around 80%:eek:. Thanks but no thanks, there's no way I could ever raise that amount. They'll have to keep on getting what they get now;). I don't want to go down to TPs.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job, it must have turned your world upside down. My income situation isn't likely to change so I'll either carry on to the end of the DMP with payments as they are now (a real struggle but just about doable:() or try to hasten the end of the whole sorry saga with some F&Fs when the money I'm praying for comes through.

Good luck with the rest of your DMP:beer:
  • Hi,I apologise if this has been asked before but I am just starting to think about F&F offers. We have around 11 months left on our 6 year DMP and i was wondering if a) we are likely to get a F&F settlement with us being so close to finishing and b) rather than posting it it acceptable to email creditors with our offer? Also, once an amount has been agreed how long do you get to raise the funds, do the offers last 14 days, 30 days or does it need paying straight away?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi MissLeah

MissLeah wrote: »
    Hi,I apologise if this has been asked before but I am just starting to think about F&F offers. We have around 11 months left on our 6 year DMP and i was wondering if a) we are likely to get a F&F settlement with us being so close to finishing and b) rather than posting it it acceptable to email creditors with our offer? Also, once an amount has been agreed how long do you get to raise the funds, do the offers last 14 days, 30 days or does it need paying straight away?

a) You're entitled to propose lump sum offers at any stage of a DMP, and there is every chance that creditors will consider them if they look more attractive than holding out for the last 11 instalments (which are after all not guaranteed should you lose work/income etc.). As ever, responses may vary from one creditor to the next.

b) You can make the offer by whatever means you wish, but I'd want to hold out for written confirmation from a creditor that it accepted your terms before going ahead with any payment.

As for time limits, it is up to you to stipulate how long any offer made by you/a third party is on the table for; equally, if a creditor offered you a lump sum discount they would usually state a deadline for acceptance. These things are rarely set in stone, however, and there are no hard and fast rules as these are essentially informal negotiations.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • MissLeah
    MissLeah Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thank you Dennis, I very much appreciate your advice.
  • foostick
    foostick Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi - first time poster here, apologies if this has been covered just wanted some advice.

I currently have around £32k of debts - comprised of credit cards and overdrafts.

I'm making slightly above minimum payments on them all at present and have been doing so for a number of years to bring the amount down.

I'm highly likely to be made redundant next month and could potentially receive a pay out of around £10k if this were to happen.

I'm unlikely to find another job on the same money as I've been looking for a number of years for a new job and I've been unable to find anything. I'd like ideally to return to university if possible and get a part time job to live off basically while studying.

Given my accounts are at the time of writing up to date, would full and final settlement offers be feasible if the alternative for the creditors was just the prospect of a token amount for the foreseeable future (four years of study for example) post any redundancy?

What I guess I'm wondering is, would a creditor consider a pre-emptive full and final settlement offer in advance of the situation declining further of would they all need to default first?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    foostick wrote: »
    Hi - first time poster here, apologies if this has been covered just wanted some advice.

I currently have around £32k of debts - comprised of credit cards and overdrafts.

I'm making slightly above minimum payments on them all at present and have been doing so for a number of years to bring the amount down.

I'm highly likely to be made redundant next month and could potentially receive a pay out of around £10k if this were to happen.

I'm unlikely to find another job on the same money as I've been looking for a number of years for a new job and I've been unable to find anything. I'd like ideally to return to university if possible and get a part time job to live off basically while studying.

Given my accounts are at the time of writing up to date, would full and final settlement offers be feasible if the alternative for the creditors was just the prospect of a token amount for the foreseeable future (four years of study for example) post any redundancy?

What I guess I'm wondering is, would a creditor consider a pre-emptive full and final settlement offer in advance of the situation declining further of would they all need to default first?

Hi foostick

No, you don't have to have fallen behind or defaulted on accounts in order for a full and final settlement offer to be considered. In practice, however, lenders may be reluctant to consider such offers if you have been up to date thus far. Where credit cards in particular are concerned, minimum payments (or slightly above) are a very lucrative source of income for the card issuers and they are usually happy to let such arrangements continue for as long as it takes.

As you are probably aware from reading this thread, such lump sum settlements are more common where the debts have found their way into other hands, which is usually only the case after default and prolonged periods of non-payment.

By all means, float the idea with your creditors - it doesn't commit you to anything and you don't need to elaborate on the precise amount at this stage.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • imazeu
    imazeu Posts: 3 Newbie
    Or anyone else who could offer advice. Penelope, your mailbox was full when I tried to send.

Hi,

Firstly I hope you do not mind me contacting you like this. I see you have some vast experience and knowledge, something that I am unable to get at the moment.

I will try to keep things brief as it’s a long story.

Employed Vincent bond to take care of my financial matters.

I entered a DMP after defaulting on 8 accounts back in June 2011

I received 8 letters stating intention to either default me or CCJ. In the end of 2011 I ended up with 5 defaults recorded and 1 CCJ, 2 not recorded.

Payments of £300.00 per month have been servicing the debt of over 50k from the offset.

In Sept 2014 Vincent Bond began to take £145.00 as fees for a period until July 2015 instead of £45.00 when I noticed, meaning less money from the remaining £155.00 to my creditors. In this time I didn’t hear anything and thought payments were being made as normal. As a result of this underpayment to my creditors Barclaycard hit my credit file with a default in September 2015. At this time I got refused credit, was unable to get on a mortgage (which I had been waiting 4 years for) and was employed in a financial institution but unable to move to other due to now bad recent credit (self employed and banks credit check)

I had a lengthy email/verbal battle with Vincent Bond and Barclaycard, as I had kept up my agreement of paying the £300.00 a month for 4 1/2 years, Vincent Bond said it wasn't their fault, Barclaycard said it wasn't theirs. After several months of fishing for info and various calls I did indeed find that Barclaycard issued a default due to the reduced payments from Vincent Bond due to increase in fees (which may I add were a mistake and were refunded back to me in sept 2015)

I have opened a case again Vincent Bond with the financial ombudsman but this is my first question. Is there a case against them for malpractice legally?

My next question is another issue with a creditor (CAPQUEST) who has been recording missed payments on my Experian account 3 times in the last 12 months even though no payments have been missed. I have approached Vincent Bond about this and have not really got any information from CAPQUEST other than waiting for a reply, since December. Since December CAPQUEST have recorded 1 more missed payment in May.

Final question, I will come into a little money, roughly 2/3's of the outstanding 33k, what are the realistic F&F settlement figures % as the debts are nearly 5 years old and all with DCA's? Would this be better done through Vincent Bond) who take 10% of any savings?

Sorry it is fairly long but would appreciate your help.

Kind Regards

John
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 14 May 2016 at 6:52AM
    imazeu, sorry you've had such a traumatic time.

I'm sorry that I have no answer to your questions although I'm sure someone will come along and offer good advice:beer:

I have a couple of questions for you though. Why, after VB's mishandling of your account (as I understood it they admitted their mistake and refunded excess charges to you) did you stay with them? There are several FREE DMP companies, lots of us swear by Stepchange:j. It's easy to switch, there are various posters on the DMP Support thread who can advise how to do it.

Link here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5285089

Alternatively, why not go self-managed for your DMP? Again, there's lots of advice on the DMP Support thread from people who've done it. It's not rocket science, you are in charge and, best of all, it's free:j:j:j

Good Luck:beer:
  • imazeu
    imazeu Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi Carbootcrazy, Yes I did stay with them, effectively chose the first one when life was a blur and stuck with them. For number of years I thought they were doing a good job.

My circumstances have changed for the better, slightly and that is why i have stuck with them thinking I would go through the rigmarole when swapping, hope that makes sense. Even now I would rather the situation was managed as i would like to concentrate on work.

This brings me to the point of posting here, In a month I will have about 20k from the sale of the house and have about 33k in debts still and was hoping whether it is realistic whether all will be cleared as either F+F or partial and if they do get cleared how will that stand me in light of a joint mortgage application in my 6th and final year of the DMP. Will all the debt drop off my credit file next year regardless of whether they are F+F or partially paid?

Lots of questions i know but I would like the best outcome. I have never shied away and accepted responsibility for them but need to move on with life and do the normal things again, like a mortgage with my new partner etc. It's been a haul, a weight in fairness but feel I am finally getting there.

Appreciate your help with this and the questions in my previous post.

John
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure