Caught speeding multiple times on the same stretch in short time period

Options
Does anyone know of any examples were someone has been caught speeding on the same stretch of road several days in a row? Such as someone commuting to and from work each day speeding in the same location. The first speeding notification coming through from the police after the several offences have been committed.

Would the police deal with all of these cases together and issue something like an 8 point penalty or would they take each offence separately and issue 5 3 point penalties?

Just curious.

Thanks

Comments

• tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As far as I know they would be individual offences and penalties. If they were all on the same single journey you would probably get away with one offence but different days/directions means little to no chance of that.
  • Minrich
    Minrich Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TIC's for speeding ! Each is dealt with individually .
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    craig1123 wrote: »
    Would the police deal with all of these cases together and issue something like an 8 point penalty or would they take each offence separately and issue 5 3 point penalties?

I would hope that the police will haul the person in front of a Judge and he/she could explain why they commited speeding offences and get caught 5 times on different days on the same stretch of road!
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2015 at 5:46PM
    Options
    A lot depends on how far over the limit on each occasion - but the most likely scenario is an offer of a Speed Awareness Course for the first offence, if eligible

The next 3 would get an FPN of 3 points & £100 each.

The next one would go straight to court because you are then in line to hit 12 points which is an automatic 6 month disqualification, unless you can successfully put forward an exceptional hardship argument.

No good news really.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,004 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could there not be some arguement that you were not aware of the limit (why else woudl you exceed it on multiple days) and hope the magistrate might be sensible and give 10 points and a large fine (assuming your record to date was squeaky clean)?
    I think....
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't you ever learn.
    If you got caught once wouldn't the sensible thing to do is keep to the speed limit in future.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Don't you ever learn.
    If you got caught once wouldn't the sensible thing to do is keep to the speed limit in future.

Unless you are referring to a different thread, it appears that the OP was unaware of/mistaken about a speed limit.

In The Olden Days, he would have been pulled over the first time and would then be aware of the limit to keep to it.

Now everything is "modern" you can keep repeating an offence in ignorance for several days whilst the first one is processed.
    (Rather negates the idea that the camera improves "safety" as if the speed were dangerous, the "safe" thing would be to stop people doing it, rather than simply charge them a penalty for doing it, but I don't make policy...)

In response to the question, I believe that TonyMMM is correct.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is one of the bad things about the modern system. The whole reason for giving people 'points' on their licence is to give them a chance to correct their behaviour. If you rack up loads of points before you know you've got any then it doesn't work as intended.
    I don't know if the magistrates would be sympathetic, but I would hope common sense would prevail.

It can be tricky on some roads. If the council remove a speed limit of 40mph and it reverts to the standard 30mph they don't have to put up any signs at all, they just take down the 40mph signs. Anyone who doesn't notice could be in for a shock!
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    TonyMMM wrote: »
    A lot depends on how far over the limit on each occasion - but the most likely scenario is an offer of a Speed Awareness Course for the first offence, if eligible

The next 3 would get an FPN of 3 points & £100 each.

The next one would go straight to court because you are then in line to hit 12 points which is an automatic 6 month disqualification, unless you can successfully put forward an exceptional hardship argument.

No good news really.

Do they automatically go to court if it would push you over the 12 point threshold?

How likely are you to not get disqualified if you can show that you rely on a vehicle for work?
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2015 at 6:47PM
    Options
    I was caught speeding in 1992 or thereabouts. 50 in a 30 mph was fined £100 and 3 points in court. I don't remember fixed penalty being an option was on a fairly low income (£10k) at the time and thought the penalty harsh.
    On the same day in court our local MEP was being prosecuted too for speeding. IIRC he was fined around £40 and 3 points BUT he was caught in Crossmichael village on his way to Ayr in the morning and Parton village (2 or 3 miles apart) the same day but on his return home that afternoon. Much to my disgust it was counted as one offence and the fine was much less than mine.
    This was Kirkcudbright Sheriff court in the days when police stopped you/ no cameras.

Obviously a 22yr old is an easier target than an MEP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure