MSE News: Credit and debit card charges banned from Saturday - what you need to know

From Saturday you should no longer be charged a fee for opting to pay via credit or debit card - but companies will still be able to add booking or admin fees as long as they also apply to other forms of payment...
Read the full story:
'Credit and debit card charges banned from Saturday - what you need to know'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just Eat in the news for adding 50p Service charge to all orders :rotfl:

Cheeky or sneaky you make up your own mind :eek:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'd say 'inevitable'...
  • I have been watching flight prices for this year's holiday - coincidence or not they have increased in price by approx 3 % this week?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Are shops allowed to offer a discount for not paying by credit card?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I foresee a lot of places currently charging a % fee for credit card payments just ceasing to accept them. It’s not as if anyone who has a credit card doesn’t also have a debit card.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    VT82 wrote: »
    I foresee a lot of places currently charging a % fee for credit card payments just ceasing to accept them. It’s not as if anyone who has a credit card doesn’t also have a debit card.

I can't see that happening at all. A lot of people use CCs to buy things they can't afford. If businesses stop taking CCs, they will lose sales.

Even Aldi and Lidl gave in a while ago and started accepting CCs. The cost of accepting CCs is just another cost of running a business.

It was relatively recently that CC surcharges became legal. I'm glad to see them being made unlawful again.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    My local Village Hall Social Club charges for payment for beer and crisps etc by Debit Card.
    It is a nonprofit organisation.
    Will they have to stop this practice?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    REJP wrote: »
    My local Village Hall Social Club charges for payment for beer and crisps etc by Debit Card.
    It is a nonprofit organisation.
    Will they have to stop this practice?

Read the article!
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    I_luv_cats wrote: »
    Just Eat in the news for adding 50p Service charge to all orders :rotfl:

Cheeky or sneaky you make up your own mind :eek:

I would say it’s both. When a law like this comes into force, it demonstrates the true colours of most companies.

All about the cash - not customers. I’m waiting for Hungry House to update their system and add a flat fee - at the moment cash has no surcharge and online payment does.

This law was due 10 years ago in my opinion, payments via card have boomed since 2000.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • ric3vic
    ric3vic Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The credit card fee was simply a gouge tactic. Businesses whine about the costs of accepting credit cards, but they rarely talk about how much cheaper it is to have a payment into their account rather than swallow the costs of accepting cash: counting, recording, banking. I look forward to contacting a holiday lets agency in the north east to pay the balance of my holiday and telling them not to add the fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure