Millionaire Challenge

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooh yes, deffo keep your head above the water with ear problems. Sorry to reach for the stars with the swimming! I realise I was thinking of swimming in the Med, and ... you're not, even in a heated pool (I was also 20 years old on that holiday :o:o:o - a leetle bit too much daydreaming on my part!).

Cat website has gone well - got a lovely image, nicely cropped, to use as the background, its got detail but its of a cat statue, a closeup I took recently at the Guildhall, so it really works, without cluttering.

The Links page is a dog's dinner, excuse the pun :D fonts, sizes, bolding, all sorts of garbage in there. If I can get that done today, I'll be a happy bunny. I may "simply" type it out again ... but right now, I'm off for a snack :p

Enjoy yourself DT :kisses3: :kisses3: :kisses3: and that goes for all.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    LL I don't really belong on here :o but just wanted to say glad all went well. I hope you get a nice little car :) - if you want something small but functional I can confirm that Puntos can get a dishwasher in the boot in case of domestic emergencies :D. Very large opening which I'm sure would be helpful.

Who cares if you "belong" or not. :rotfl: Theres no such thing as not belonging. I like to think we are an all inclusive lot.;)

Anyway thanks for your kind thoughts. I'm thinking along the lines of a Vauxhall Corsa. DS1 has had a couple and they seem quite good and they do seem to have plenty of boot space.

I'm still tempted by a nice Mini but tbh I can get a 2 year old Corsa for the same price as a 6 year old Mini so it does seem to be more practical to go for a newer and hopefully more reliable model.

What I'd really like is a swanky Mercedes convertible - but I guess I need to be closer to the £1m before I start lashing out on fancy cars:rotfl:

TBH - the mobility people have been great. They gave me 3 weeks leeway with the car which I think is pretty generous. They have also said that I am due some money back from the advance payment - so thats good news. It will take several weeks but thats ok. Every little helps.;)

Just rang the solicitor and my husbands pension provider and they've both said that because OH's estate is modest (because I've been dealing with his affairs and only kept a small amount in one current account) there is no need for probate. So provided the bank is happy without probate then that is one less job to do.

Theres no IHT to pay so everything should be relatively straight forward. Just checked my account and the insurance company was as good as their word, the money is now sat in my account. How's that for service…..

So today its just pick up the will and go look at cars. Now that I have everything in place I can start the form filling etc in the evenings.

DS2 is emptying the cellar as I type and the rubbish removal man is booked for Friday so its all steam ahead.

Tomorrow we are having a day off and having a little trip to Ikea. Thursday it's out with the rollers and paintbrushes. At least we are now on to the fun stuff.

Its time now for me to address a couple of health issues and to get a bit fitter. I start my Pilates class again on Friday and I've a physio appt booked for Saturday.

I shall still take plenty of rest when I need it but I do like to keep busy. It's good for me, takes my mind of things a bit and I know it's what OH would have wanted. He would want me to pick up the reins again and start living. He lived life to the max and he would want me to do the same.

His last words were "Look after the boys" and that's what I've done and intend to carry on doing.

When I started my journey I set myself a target of a net worth of £300K within 10 years.

I'm now at around £230K. However, bearing in mind my age and my wish to protect my assets as best as I can to pass on to the boys I've already given them £50K each. This means my actual personal net worth is now £130K - more than enough to take care of future nursing home fees although having seen what's out there I think I would prefer to top myself first. :rotfl: That way the boys can keep the lot and I don't end my days rotting in some god forsaken hellhole.

So I now need to set myself another target and some fresh goals. Will mull it over. I'm not going to make any long term financial decisions until at least after Christmas. I think its best to give myself a breathing space before I make any firm commitments.

So for now it's "a gentle hand on the tiller and steady as she goes"
    Get me going all nautical.:rotfl:

So over the next few weeks I will sort out my finances, maximise the investments and bank accounts, continue to watch the cash flow.

Karma and DT Sounds like you are both firing ahead now. Lots of interesting ideas.

The sun is shining so I'm off out to make the most of it…..
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 September 2014 at 2:09PM
    Options
    I've had two Vauxhall Corsa and loved them both..had no problems whatsoever with them but the first one I got hit in the side with a bus and the 2nd my OH went into the back of someone...!! So maybe they or us are just unlucky!! Personally I would have it again in a heart beat but we have a Renault Scenic which is great for a family although not as trust worthy..

Glad everything is going well as it can doesn't sound like you've had many problems yet with the paper work ...insurances are usually the most annoying!

Enjoy your day off. KC I seem to have lost the link to your website although I found innerpress one but I swear you have two and that isn't the main thing? Would love if you could send me the link again :-)

Well here I go..................

So I've brought myself a desk top vinyl cutter and I have to say I HATE IT with so much passion...but I can do so much with it. I was in such a bad mood for about 3 days after I brought it because I just couldn't see it making me any money and this was the first time I'd made a bad decision in my business...and a £300 one.

My OH was saying it's only £300 etc...but hey that's about 3 months business wages, a small holiday.. I was driving myself up the wall lol! I feel like I've been on a high for quite a while so I think it did me some good to have a rampage.. (I'm not painting a good picture of myself am I?! lol)

I had decided to sell it, but I spoke to my Dad and he said look.. you've brought it now, leave it on your desk for a week and see how you feel and I did...and I've had a slight change of heart(it still drives me potty).

I might not be seeing that £300 any time soon but I've started making a few bits that make me an extra bit of income so for now ..I can't see it working for a big business but I can expand my lines a bit and it's not costing me anything to keep it now that I've got it (and lets face it, it's 2nd hand now so I won't be getting that £300 back either.)

So I had this idea but I needed a special type of frame to do it, lots of people are doing things with these frames but I can't find the frames anywhere for less then £20..and here people are selling them 'done' for £15-20.

It took me a week to find a supplier I went on every site you can think of...I contacted websites selling them, even had conversations with a guy in China and he wanted me to pay £25 for a sample (express delivery I guess) but only £8 a frame and I was all ready to go ahead and he sent me a photo...wasn't what he had advertised AT all so I sent him one back of what I wanted and then he said oh we can do that for you! $40 each (£25 or so each)......

Moving on swiftly... I had practically given up but I had one last idea, I found myself a Framers forum and I said PLEASE HELP ME I NEED THESE!! (Not quite like that but at this point I was tearing my hair out) and had a few offers, got talking to one guy seemed pretty nice agreed to send me a sample and I paid him and he covered delivery so all good...arrives and it's what I wanted but not the agreed size..I mentioned this to him and he didn't respond to it just wrote back to other things in my e-mail...so I was a bit annoyed as I had things ready to go my end but couldn't do anything with this frame to small, so I contacted another one and he is sending me two frames today so I will update on that later! (Only cost me delivery of £7 as they are samples to! )

Anyway, I have lots of new product ideas I can get into with this machine but I've put quite a lot of money down ATM (for me anyway) and I need to start making some money back first before I expand even more so trying to get some designs together for my first product and get a few sold..new facebook page up esp for this one as it's quite a bit different from what I do already and will take up a lot of photos :-)
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Who cares if you "belong" or not. :rotfl: Theres no such thing as not belonging. I like to think we are an all inclusive lot.;)
    I'm glad you caught that comment from GG, LL - I'd missed it completely. Anyone who's planning to grow their income, or would like to plan to grow their income, belongs on here
    Just rang the solicitor and my husbands pension provider and they've both said that because OH's estate is modest (because I've been dealing with his affairs and only kept a small amount in one current account) there is no need for probate. So provided the bank is happy without probate then that is one less job to do.
    Thats good news, in the way of these things :(
    When I started my journey I set myself a target of a net worth of £300K within 10 years.

I'm now at around £230K. However, bearing in mind my age and my wish to protect my assets as best as I can to pass on to the boys I've already given them £50K each. This means my actual personal net worth is now £130K - more than enough to take care of future nursing home fees although having seen what's out there I think I would prefer to top myself first. :rotfl: That way the boys can keep the lot and I don't end my days rotting in some god forsaken hellhole.
    :eek: _pale_
    So I now need to set myself another target and some fresh goals. Will mull it over. I'm not going to make any long term financial decisions until at least after Christmas. I think its best to give myself a breathing space before I make any firm commitments.
    Phew ... thats a relief.
    Karma and DT Sounds like you are both firing ahead now. Lots of interesting ideas.

The sun is shining so I'm off out to make the most of it…..
    Yep :D before I got the lappie going this morning, I was looking at the craft books I have ... I can see a couple of ranges of images developing - I need a simple cat silhouette I can use on the sell-for-profit cards - thats doable, I have lots of models - and I need the surrounds to put the cat in various places. I'm off to meet a friend this afternoon, so I'll be buying some turpentine and boiled linseed oil to make the stencils from the cut-out book. There's something there about knitted cats too - got a very simple pattern that can be adapted indefinitely. And my business partner yesterday, who has a very sarcastic mind, came up with some brilliant jokey cards - it can be very irritating in a business meeting, but they were just right yesterday :D
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    Enjoy your day off. KC I seem to have lost the link to your website although I found innerpress one but I swear you have two and that isn't the main thing? Would love if you could send me the link again :-)
    I haven't touched the bloglet yet, Kaya, I'm still working on the website - I need to do more rejigging for the website, and rethink the blog. I'll pm you asap - I appreciate it, your advice has been helpful.
    So I've brought myself a desk top vinyl cutter and I have to say I HATE IT with so much passion...but I can do so much with it. I was in such a bad mood for about 3 days after I brought it because I just couldn't see it making me any money and this was the first time I'd made a bad decision in my business...and a £300 one.
    Sounds like you've really been through the mill with this one :grouphug: but I'm glad you've talked it through with your dad and realised a way forward.
    Anyway, I have lots of new product ideas I can get into with this machine but I've put quite a lot of money down ATM (for me anyway) and I need to start making some money back first before I expand even more so trying to get some designs together for my first product and get a few sold..new facebook page up esp for this one as it's quite a bit different from what I do already and will take up a lot of photos :-)
    Ooh! I *have* to use facebook as a way of publicising the website - its easy to publish new pages for one thing, there's a direct link via f/b. But I want a new f/b specifically for this - I can set that up without a big launch, can't I? Must find a thread for it on these forums ....

Good luck with the income streams, lovely people :T
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »

Ooh! I *have* to use facebook as a way of publicising the website - its easy to publish new pages for one thing, there's a direct link via f/b. But I want a new f/b specifically for this - I can set that up without a big launch, can't I? Must find a thread for it on these forums ....

Good luck with the income streams, lovely people :T

I'm not sure what you mean here KC but if you are setting up a separate account? don't make the mistake of naming it after your business ~ facebook are known for shutting these down and have left quite a few businesses in the **** because they lose messages contacts etc..

I would still make a side account with a real name if you don't want people to know what you're doing, as say you want to advertise it on a group page you'll have to use your main account with a link to your business page ~ as you can't post with a business page to a group.

Hope that is of some help.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Apologies for posting yet again ... I'm juggling a lot else at the moment, so posting here on my progress with the cat website helps keep me in touch with where I am.

I set up a facebook page! Its not live yet, and there's more to be done in posting up things of interest, but its a start, I wanted to do it *now* so that I could get the same name as the website.

I've also been looking at how to work pages from my stencil book of Egyptian design into actual stencils - they're saying it involves boiled linseed oil and turpentine? And keep the used rag in a jar of water till you're ready to dispose of it, because it can spontaneously combust :eek: I'll check if I can buy any of that when I'm out this afternoon, but in the meantime, I've experimented with one I don't particularly want - it looks like the Hapsburg Eagle, not anything Egyptian at all :rotfl: and I've coated it liberally with what I happened to have on hand, which is Teak Oil, for decking :rotfl: the rag is in a jamjar of water, and the stencil is drying upright, as recommended. Client soon, so I'm off.

:kisses3:
  • Double_Trouble
    Options
    Wow everyone has been so busy

LL I second the corsa both my children have had them and they have been reliable and spare parts are readily available, I think it is a good idea to take time to sort out what you want to do now - hugs to you xx

Kayalana I hope you get to love your new machine and that it makes you a lot of money :)

KC so pleased that you are making progress with your website and your fb page. Not sure what you mean by the stencils - what are they made of?

Just heard today that our placement has ended. They were supposed to be with us on Sunday when we get back but nobody thought to tell us that they have gone home to their parents typical of social services :mad: good job I emailed them.

Still it gives me more time to concentrate on my new business there will be lots of work to do so I will be with you KC on making a website and fb page but need to do some more research to see whether it is likely to succeed lots of internet tools I need to get my head round currently listening to ecommerce podcasts but the broadband speed is poor today so lots of buffering I think I will have to abandon online games if I am going to get this thing up and running :o this is definitely a bad habit I need to ditch.

DTxx
  • Karmacat
    edited 4 September 2014 at 10:15AM
    Options
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean here KC but if you are setting up a separate account? don't make the mistake of naming it after your business ~ facebook are known for shutting these down and have left quite a few businesses in the **** because they lose messages contacts etc..

I would still make a side account with a real name if you don't want people to know what you're doing, as say you want to advertise it on a group page you'll have to use your main account with a link to your business page ~ as you can't post with a business page to a group.

Hope that is of some help.
    Kaya, thanks for posting - but, the bit of your post that I've bolded, I don't understand what you mean, not at all, sorry. Can you please expand that a bit more?
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Hi DT

This is the actual stencil book I'm using, by Theodore Menten, I found it on Amazon (though I bought it at my Egyptology meeting, for less!).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Egyptian-Cut-Use-Stencils/dp/0486236269/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1409820499&sr=8-12&keywords=theodore+menten

The stencils are apparently made from "medium weight manila paper" :) and now you know as much as I do :rotfl:

I've found my craft knife, ready to cut out my experiment when I'm ready, and I've checked out what fonts I've got access to, to do the wordles. A lot of actual *paid* work today, though, so can't do too much more.
  • Double_Trouble
    Options
    KC I have sent you a pm

DTxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business