PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting rid of tenancy

hi
i rented a single room and had to pay holding down deposit that came with condition that i can terminate at any time but the later contract that said that we will have to find a replacement. now landlord is not accepting this and also the room does not have standards which were sold to us ie standards of cleanliness, broadband etc. they have not put the deposit to protection scheme either, what to do. thanks.

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Anything promised/said in writing?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does the landlord live in the same property?
  • xyz111
    xyz111 Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    * landlord has office in the same property.
    * the online booking/ holding page says tenancy can be terminated and does not put any stringent conditions.
    * i signed the contract on behalf of my relative who's being a full time student.
    * the contract says 12 months length and new tenant has to be provided before leaving property. It also does not say what happens after 12 months (i will double check this bit)
    * the property is not cleaned to appropriate satisfaction and also does not have reliable broadband which was offered and required due to nature of study.
    * we have paid a month rent and deposit and still have not received deposit protection..

please advise. thanks.
  • xyz111
    yes the booking form that was proof of holding deposit was flexible but main contract have different clauses.
  • xyz111
    **one of the other reason -my relative is a full time student and it will be too expensive for him to pay the rent hence he would be moving in with me where i pay.
    **i signed the contract on my behalf and there is a separate letter that says: " i claim to be his (relative) representative and contract will be voided if my relative does not accept that"...
  • xyz111
    please can someone reply so i can see a way to sort it out...
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you signed a contract which states you need to find another tenant then that is what you need to do.

Your dispute between the original advert & contract should have taken place before you signed it.

What does the contract say re broadband. That standard broadband is included or fibre? Is it unreliable due to number of people using it?

If it wasn't up to cleaning standards this would have been noted on your inventory or are you saying that someone does regular cleaning?
  • xyz111
    we are unable to keep up with payments.
    i signed the contract on behalf of my relative and it says if my relative does not agree with contract the contract will be voided. so if my relative is not happy with terms then they can terminate it.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    xyz111 wrote: »
    **i signed the contract on my behalf and there is a separate letter that says: " i claim to be his (relative) representative and contract will be voided if my relative does not accept that"...
    so the room's occupant is a tenant not a lodger given the LL does not live in the building (an office does not count)

it appears the tenancy is an individual contract for a room, there may be other tenants who share the building with your relative, but the contract is between your relative and the LL only, it is not a joint contract with the other occupants

Who wrote this "letter"??? You or the LL?
    I think it would be amazing if any LL agreed to let a room to someone whose "letter" allowed the person who actually takes up occupation of the room to pull out on the basis the actual occupant doesn't like the deal
    xyz111 wrote: »
    we are unable to keep up with payments.
    i signed the contract on behalf of my relative and it says if my relative does not agree with contract the contract will be voided. so if my relative is not happy with terms then they can terminate it.
    you say it is a separate letter, not part of the actual contract clauses, so please quote the contents of the letter so we can see how it "allows" the contract itself to be voided.

I doubt anyone but a court can really say if the letter has any standing as a legal condition imposed over the top of the contract which, on the face of it, you appear to have signed whilst acting as an agent of your relative. In other words what you signed is deemed to apply to your relative as though he had signed it himself. The "letter" may be meaningless
  • xyz111
    my relative is a student and will not be able to keep up with payments! they are struggling..!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure