Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• gill5blue
    gill5blue Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    Can anyone help?
    I flew to cancun on 19th June Thomson airway from Gatwick.
    The plane was replaced and it took 3 hours longer to get to cancun than if we had flew on the original plane. I have a piece of paper which apologises for the disruption and it also states that premium club members will receive a pro rata refund- I was not a premium club passenger.
    Am I due a payment of any kind?
    gill5blue
    pay all debts off 2023-No 30 paid £3340.45/£7941

• leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    gill5blue wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone help?
    I flew to cancun on 19th June Thomson airway from Gatwick.
    The plane was replaced and it took 3 hours longer to get to cancun than if we had flew on the original plane. I have a piece of paper which apologises for the disruption and it also states that premium club members will receive a pro rata refund- I was not a premium club passenger.
    Am I due a payment of any kind?
    gill5blue

It didn't take 3 hours longer because they'd changed the aircraft. It was still operated by a 787. The flight is scheduled to arrive at 14.05 and it actually arrived at 15.57.
  • gill5blue
    The captain said it was a lower techy plane and it will take 3 hours longer to get to cancun
    Gill5blue

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gill5blue wrote: »
    The captain said it was a lower techy plane and it will take 3 hours longer to get to cancun
    Gill5blue

but in the end it took less than 2 hours longer
  • mknebel
    mknebel Posts: 3 Newbie
    hello, first post here.
    Last weekend me and 13 friends went to Portugal for a few days break/drunk hen party, we flew back on the sunday or so we thought, all correspondents from the travel agent said the sunday but the flight they had actually booked for us was 24 before on the Saturday. The travel agent has admitted that this was their mistake, they offered us a flight home later that night at 9pm for free, but as most of us have children we said we couldn't wait that long (14hours ish) so we booked our own flight as they said we would be reimbursed. we waiting 4 hours for this other flight that got us to Leeds (not our preferred Manchester as we just wanted to get home). The travel agent has now said they will pay for our flight home and give us £25 compensation.
    Does this sound correct? the petrol money from Leeds to Manchester alone was more that that.
    any advise would be most appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Michael.
    #AmysADirtyHen
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Clearly this would appear to be totally the agent to blame, and has nothing to do with the airline.
    Therefore regulation 261/2004 doesn't apply.
    Hindsight being a wonderful thing, it has often been advised on here, to allows check your booking directly with the airline, to avoid issues like this.

If your booking/contract states flight was the Sunday and agent had booked Saturday, then clearly they are in breach of contract and are responsible for ALL the costs you incurred, as long as you have proof of those expenses. And also request more in compensation for the considerable delay and inconvenience/distress. Perhaps start with what the EU considers reasonable under reg 261/2004 ie 250euros and negotiate?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • gill5blue
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    but in the end it took less than 2 hours longer
    Ok, I see that, so what is the reason the premium club passengers are being refunded?
    Gill5blue

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It maybe part of the T&Cs /benefits for premium club tickets?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JPears wrote: »
    It maybe part of the T&Cs /benefits for premium club tickets?

I assume it's because premium club seats had facilities (such as seat width, pitch and legroom) that wasn't provided on the replacement plane.

Doesn't affect your claim in any way though - since as others have said you arrived less than three hours late.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    MY wife said to me that we were going to make love for 3 hours I just missed going over 3 hours over by 2 hours and 58 mins, thereby missing out on compensation Damn it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback