Cost Per Litre

Can anyone tell me roughly how much water costs per litre. I want to try and visualize the savings I could be making by flushing my loo fewer times and by
turning off the tap when brushing my teath etc...

Cheers
Easy Money

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Water charges vary greatly across the country.

Some have high standing charges and lower water/sewerage charges and others low standing charges and higher water/sewerage charges.

I live in the Severn Trent area which has low standing charges and pay 108.77p per cubic metre for water and 77.23p per cubic metre for sewerage.

So as a cubic metre is 1,000 litres I pay 0.108p per litre for water and the combined figure is 0.184p per liter - i.e. 5 litres costs just less than 1 pence.
  • Thanks for info. Blimey I really need to think of other ways of saving money !! It could take me a while this way !!

Cheers
    Easy Money
  • Mmm yes, but the issue may be how long does one run the tap? When I checked (yes sad I know) I ran 4 litres in 10 seconds. So if it's say 15 seconds average to run 5 litres, that's 20 litres a minute. Whilst maybe not a lot of pence (although we all know about pence and pounds taking care of selves) running the water whilst brushing teeth properly for example is maybe a bit of a habit and may not be necessary. (I only wish our local water was drinkable. It's like swallowing a swimming pool.)
  • CrashUK
    CrashUK Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No I think they are real saving to be made. Try out interflush, Tapmagic,

Interflush is for thr toilet saves 20% water per year so save about £100 off a £500 water bill
    Cost is about £15-20 per toilet - http://www.interflush.co.uk/

Tapmagic is for your taps. Saves about 4% water per year so saves about £20 off a £500 water bill.
    Cost is about £5 per tap. - http://www.tapmagic.co.uk/

Low-Flow Showerhead- Most showers use around 18 litres per min Water Saving Show Heads use about 8 litres per min so the saving 50% on water and energy.. Cost is about £15-50 Note. Dont work on electric showers.
  • Cardew
    CrashUK wrote: »
    No I think they are real saving to be made. Try out interflush, Tapmagic,

Interflush is for thr toilet saves 20% water per year so save about £100 off a £500 water bill
    Cost is about £15-20 per toilet - http://www.interflush.co.uk/

There are savings to be made if you have one of the old toilets. Of 45 million toilets in UK about 7 million are the old 13 litre type.

http://www.waterwise.org.uk/reducing_water_wastage_in_the_uk/house_and_garden/toilet_flushing_at_home.html

However for the majority have much smaller capacity.

Even if you had a 13 litre toilet and saved the claimed 6 litres every time, you would save say 1p to 1.5p a flush. With older toilets due to their design you often need a full flush to get rid of solids.

On modern toilets your savings are minimal.

Not the best internet advert I have seen!!!!!
  • CrashUK
    Cardew wrote: »
    There are savings to be made if you have one of the old toilets. Of 45 million toilets in UK about 7 million are the old 13 litre type.

http://www.waterwise.org.uk/reducing_water_wastage_in_the_uk/house_and_garden/toilet_flushing_at_home.html

However for the majority have much smaller capacity.

Even if you had a 13 litre toilet and saved the claimed 6 litres every time, you would save say 1p to 1.5p a flush. With older toilets due to their design you often need a full flush to get rid of solids.

On modern toilets your savings are minimal.

Not the best internet advert I have seen!!!!!

Its not a cistern displacement device that save x number of litres per flush. it stops the water as soon as you take your hand off handle.

cistern displacement device dont work that well as you can never do a full flush.
  • Cardew
    CrashUK wrote: »
    Its not a cistern displacement device that save x number of litres per flush. it stops the water as soon as you take your hand off handle.

cistern displacement device dont work that well as you can never do a full flush.

No I appreciate that it is not something like a 'hippo'- I have read the website.

I am just disputing how much it will save, not the principle of saving water by using the device.
  • CrashUK
    Cardew wrote: »
    No I appreciate that it is not something like a 'hippo'- I have read the website.

I am just disputing how much it will save, not the principle of saving water by using the device.

I am very happy with it. I did not know the number of people with this type of old toilets was so low. I dont know any one with the new modern toilets.. maybe most of the modern toilets are business.

I am installing every thing in my house to save money when the pay back is less then one year or less. I look in to solar hot water and solar power and wind power on the side of the house but the pay back is 15-20 year
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    A washing machine uses loads of water, so the cost per litre isn't insignifcant.

I was pretty horrified to realise that I was using around 60L per day in a flat on my own.
    Happy chappy
  • Sir_Alan
    Sir_Alan Posts: 36 Forumite
    I laid a 500ml plastic drink bottle in the floor of the cistern. Just removed the label and filled to the brim with cold water. I didn't bother to work out how much it will save, but it cost nothing and it is a tiny saving every flush. Makes no difference to the effectiveness. I might try standing a couple of 250ml bottles in a corner, saving 1 litre per flush in all.

Before I had a meter I had replaced my manky old taps with lever types; this makes it a doddle to turn the water on and off briefly while cleaning my teeth, and must have saved a fortune already in the two years since the meter was installed.

My downstairs neighbour asked for a meter at the same time but it was not possible, as the pipe feeds my supply; she did get a compensatory reduction in her annual bill, but it's still rather higher than mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure