Best way to handle this?

Options
13»

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What about a PayPal account and card? I'm not sure whether you can go over your limit on it.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »
    What about a PayPal account and card? I'm not sure whether you can go over your limit on it.

Paypal do cards? I checked the site but must be blind..do you have a link for that?
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Mort
    Mort Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    Wikipedia to the rescue. Co-op havnt issued true Electrons for a long time. Also, I had forgotten, but true electrons were flat, not embossed, so they could not be used in an older carbon copy machine since no impression could be taken.

I miss that flat card, the numbers were much easier to read, we got them in 2006.. It may have been when the card changed to an embossed type that the word Electron went.
    Proud to have dealt with my debts, became debt free on 03/11/2011. Repaid £54,723.41 LBM May 2006.
    Debt Free Roll Of Honour #504
    Mortgage Free from October 2019
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has suggested it but how about a Paypal account? A lot of websites accept Paypal these days and it won't allow him to borrow money.

I've had it for so long now with accounts set up so I'm not 100% sure about this (double check it if you're considering using one), I think you can leave it without any funding sources set up and then just deposit money into the account using faster payments.

That way you could only use the funds in the account and it wouldn't fall back to a backup funding source like a debit card or bank account if there was insufficient funds.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    matttye wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has suggested it but how about a Paypal account? A lot of websites accept Paypal these days and it won't allow him to borrow money.

DD265 beat you to it :)

I'm still trying to understand how it would work. As far as I can tell, unless the site where the commodity is being purchased actually accepts Paypal, it wont work. I cant find anything about an independent card of any sort and it still has to be attached to a real bank account with all the things that go with that. You can of course fund the account - true, but it rather hobbles things for him. He doesnt just want it for internet, but that was one of the significant factors. He wants to be able to buy birthday presents without having to go through me which is understandable.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • bearcat16
    Options
    The PayPal card is a MasterCard and can be used everywhere that accept MC including online retailers.

It works exactly like any other prepaid Mastercard, only the funds come from your PayPal account.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/accesscard-apply-premium#
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport