We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

best place to buy cheap wild bird food

caris
caris Posts: 730 Forumite
Could anyone please tell us the best place to buy cheap wild bird food. We normally have wild bird mix, fat balls, peanuts and cake, occassionally meal worms. We enjoy having the birds visit, however, its getting very expensive so would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

Comments

• crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Make your own fat balls out of a sunday roast fat and add peanuts in to it and let set, also try the pound shops
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Also search out the small shops which sell it by the pound(kilo) its much cheaper than bagged/boxed. Be warned that I've been told China has stopped, mostly, export of peanuts so expect possible price rises in the near future.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Davey2009
    Davey2009 Posts: 165 Forumite
    My other 1/2 goes to poundland for the fat balls also Lidl are good value, we used to put alot of feed out then got a family of rats move in so just put a minimum out now plus some thistle seed for the finches :)
    Theres only two rules to remember
    1) Im always right
    2) See rule 1
  • We get fat balls and seed from Home Bargains or B and M Bargains - seed 99p fat balls 49p for 6 HTH
  • ds1980
    ds1980 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    pets at home do 20kg wild bird seed for £12.99 i think cheapest ive found
  • kazschow
    kazschow Posts: 436 Forumite
    If you know anyone with a Batleys Best pets card, you can get wild bird food for £6,99 plus vat for 25kg's ;)
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    good price, it'll be hard to beat that knowing how much it costs.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Hovel_lady
    Hovel_lady Posts: 4,291 Forumite
    edited 13 August 2011 at 11:03PM
    B&M 6 fat balls for 49p, £1 shops usually do 8 for £1. £1 shop also do bags of suet pellets (500g) that our birds love.
    Kennelgate 20 kgs bird seed £11.50.
    I find the market cheapest for bird nuts - £1.59 kg. Today (13 Aug) gone up to £1.89.
  • iwill
    iwill Posts: 37 Forumite
    i think we get 50 fat balls for £5.99 from wilkinsons and they come in a large plastic tub that we then store our bird seed/peanuts in hth
  • The Range are usually very reasonable for this sort of thing. I get peanuts & general wild bird food from them by the kilo.

I make my own fat balls through the year from fat from the Sunday roast & seeds. These go in the freezer until winter as the fat is quite soft. Other cheap bird foods are bacon rind & left over pastry. I'm afraid I'm a sucker for our local sparrows & I hang up coconut halves and I thread monkey nuts in their shells, which takes me back to staying at my grandparents' house as a child. I also put out bread soaked in melted lard or Stork.

I put stuff on the ground as well as in hangers so that thrushes pigeons & blackbirds etc, which don't like to grip onto the hangers, get their fair share too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure