MoneySaving Poll: Will you miss your local library if it's shut down?

Options

Comments

• Mark_Beech
    Mark_Beech Posts: 77 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2016 at 1:41PM
    Options
    Libraries would be fine if they were entirely self funding. But they aren't. If people were aware of the actual cost per book lent (to the local Council Tax payers most of whom never set foot in a library) then they might take a different view.
    It is crucially important for kids to learn to read and to value books - but they get this partly from school - and there are these wonderful things called bookshops that we are in danger of losing if people don't use them. Libraries also used to be a valuable reference resource but the majority of smaller libraries don't maintain a reference section - and in the age of the internet they are arguably less important. When was the last time you consulted an encyclopaedia?
    It is probably viable for larger cities to maintain a full library resource - but in the present climate of ready access to information on the internet and discounted books available online it is very difficult to justify maintaining a library in every town.
    Mark
  • kate5555
    kate5555 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I too have fond memories of visiting the library as a child but as has previously been said, I think they need to change to keep up with modern culture. I grew up in the 90s but things have vastly changed since then - I would never have dreamed that it would be possible to read any book you want by downloading it online!

I used to visit the library occasionally as an adult but as I always ended up paying late fees I've found it cheaper to buy books from a charity shop and donate them back at leisure!
  • Linda37
    Options
    I use my library at least once a fortnight to borrow up to 12 books.....I've been borrowing books since the age of 5 (obviously with my parents) and my grand-daughter has had a library card since she was 4. I could not possibly afford to buy all the books I have borrowed over the years and the pleasure obtained from them is priceless as are the unconsciously acquired benefits of improved spelling, grammar and language....Terry Pratchett for amazing ideas and laugh out loud humour, Steven King for edge-of-your-seat anticipation, James Patterson for fast paced drama, Nigel Slater for his dribble inducing descriptions of food.....what more could you want? I also have a Nook which is great for taking on holiday (rather than several books) but there is still nothing that compares to a proper book.
  • dgh875
    dgh875 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 April 2016 at 7:03PM
    Options
    Due to the systematic cutting of the majority of local government services which have been devastating to local communities across the whole of the UK, our local libraries are a vital hubs for information regarding the availability of non-governmental support services in each of our local areas and are of a huge benefit to us all.

Our libraries are also vital for our younger generations also as centres for learning.

Frankly, I am truly amazed that the government and local councils consider our local libraries as surplus to requirements and suitable for culling. When so many of our vulnerable and disadvantaged people groups rely so heavily on these essential and vital services.

Our libraries are vital to our local communities and our local councils must be made aware that our libraries are no-go areas, when they seek to cut back on expenditure.
  • wildthing01
    wildthing01 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our village library has just been taken over as a charitable.trust made up of local volunteers as the council were going to close it.

I don't go myself nowadays as I prefer to buy books for myself and the kids so that we can read them again and again, and we have more books than we know what to do with! plus I'm terrible at remembering to return library books on time!

But I know many rely on the library - I did when the kids were tiny, mainly as a form of entertainment: the libraries where.we used.to live did excellent rhyme time groups and science discovery days etc and we even just used to go to see the murals in the kids corner and do some.colouring before taking out some.books for the week.

I used the library loads in my youth and discovered many new writers that way. I think the country would be a lot poorer in many ways if the libraries (and museums) were allowed to close.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never had a use for one really. Over the years I've tried to use them, but usually found they simply don't have "proper books". And, increasingly, they're like extended creches - and there's no "SHHHH!" these days.

I'm in favour of good access to a wide/vast range of informative material and good books .... with good parking right alongside.... not in favour of creches and cartoon elephant books.

They're also, in the main, not open in "hours when full-time working people can get to them", catering mostly as creches and mini glee clubs.

It seems that, maybe, good libraries are in the centre of towns/cities, which are hard to dash into and get out (without huge traffic problems and parking charges) .... and the village ones are mostly closed and/or lame.
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have always been a regular library user since I was old enough to read and "devour" books. It's been a godsend for the last six months as I've had 2 hours a day on the train commuting and had books and e-books from the library to keep me occupied.
  • Anna-alwayshappy
    Options
    So great to see so many responses to this survey about libraries. If you want to show your support more officially you can sign the petition - it's currently less than 1000 votes short of the 15,000 needed! Search for change.org 'My library by right'
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 April 2016 at 9:57AM
    Options
    I occasionally visit the library, but in its current form I wouldn't be bothered if it went (though I know some others who would.)

I miss the old library. Same location, but they blew over a million if I recall on a refurb and don't have nearly as many books available as they did prior. It's visually more attractive on the interior, but it wastes a lot of space. Fees to order books have gone through the roof, when previously the book would likely have been available, even if someone may have had it on loan and you had to check another time before being able to find it. They took the biscuit by announcing plans (which they're still going ahead with) to waste millions more moving the library (and a load of other amenities) to a different location, before the refurbed library was even finished!

The selection of e-books available was dire at last checking, so I think as a minimum, that needs improving if libraries are to be closed.

The library as I see it currently has three main uses:

- By the older generation who don't like e-books
    - As a creche (seems always be a child's club of some sort, and if free childcare is increased, it's perhaps not surprising that councils are thinking about closing them.)
    - By jobseekers to use the internet. I would go as far as to say the jobseekers will be hardest hit. It wouldn't surprise me if someone couldn't afford broadband while out of work, considering they also have to keep a roof over their head and fund transport to the job centre/interviews.

Students have school/university libraries and while not the case for primary school children (as far as I know), busy parents probably prefer to find them the required information off of the internet rather than taking them to the library. Pensioners have free, unlimited, non-means tested bus passes so one could argue that it doesn't matter if the library is in the town or further afield.

I would argue that councils should be looking at their own efficiencies (people who don't have a clue what they're doing are still in jobs, which costs money as it takes longer to get anything done. They also give themselves excessive pay rises and bonuses, waste millions refurbing their own offices, etc.) In addition to being guilty of the above, the local council inserted a totally unnecessary extra lane into a roundabout and since then, there have been more accidents on it than there ever used to be. They now want to spend loads more money putting traffic lights on it because it's too dangerous!

I digress, but councils need to look at their own use of money before they start making further cuts to services/imposing further tax rises.
  • HSlater_2
    Options
    Admittedly I was a bit astonished to see, that it's mostly the older generation who would miss them. Our local library focuses a lot on work with younger people. What this poll indicates to me, is that we should reconsider who uses libraries and hence how to "market" them.
    So what, if mainly older people do use them? Are we not people as well? Our local library is the only communal service of interest to me. Yes, I love reading. I love the fact that I can dip in a book there without paying. Or that I can borrow some "junk" (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mangas) I'd never pay for but enjoy reading. :)
    But libraries do offer more than just books. I run the garden group there. I'm in the reading group and if I were not working, I'd join more day-time groups that are on offer. I'm in no church, don't like the gym and am not aware of any other communal focus point where I live, where I could find like-minded people other than my library. Communal activities for older people aren't unimportant just because we rarely form gangs when we are bored, and hence are no security risk.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure