Boss requesting to give personal data to third party

Comments

• borderline
    borderline Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Tell the boss to get it set up as a company access not a personal one.

that would be great...unless the other company only allows individual accounts...
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    borderline wrote: »
    that would be great...unless the other company only allows individual accounts...
    Then that is a problem between your employer and the other company. You are almost arguing yourself into complying with the demands.

Your position has to be that you have no relationship with the other company, you have no need to give them a copy of your passport. And the consequences for your employer are between your employer and the other company, nothing to do with you.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • borderline
    borderline Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ValHaller wrote: »
    Then that is a problem between your employer and the other company. You are almost arguing yourself into complying with the demands.

Your position has to be that you have no relationship with the other company, you have no need to give them a copy of your passport. And the consequences for your employer are between your employer and the other company, nothing to do with you.

That sounds reasonable , what worries me is that my boss said she spoke to HR and they said that if it benefits our company I'm obliged to give the info. I haven't talked to HR myself yet
  • ValHaller
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That sounds reasonable , what worries me is that my boss said she spoke to HR and they said that if it benefits our company I'm obliged to give the info. I haven't talked to HR myself yet
    That is plain silly and an insult to the intelligence. If you handed over the deeds to your house, it would benefit your employer, but you are not obliged to. Personally, I would not be going to HR with any question or issue about this - only with grievance if the hectoring became too much.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • borderline wrote: »

Look. Systems are set up by people. And systems can be over-ridden if needs be.

I'd be writing to them, copy my solicitor, telling them in no uncertain terms, that they do not have your permission to give copies of your passport to any third parties.
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've never done a CRB... how can do it myself? they won't accept it, they want a copy of my passport sent to them, am I allowed to send this CRB instead? is there a fee for this?

There are many instances nowadays where you need to provide a copy of your passport to another party.
    If you became a client of a solicitors/accountants, then you would be required to provide this as part of the money laundering procedures. The same applies to setting up new bank accounts.
    Where money is concerned, this is pretty much a standard procedure.
  • Dimey
    Dimey Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    I'm not an expert but I reckon you can say no to your boss. The only thing is that she may take offence and claim you are refusing to do your work. Maybe check out the terms of your job description to prepare yourself. And explain to her as politely and reasonably as possible that you are just not comfortable opening yourself up to identity fraud by allowing a 3rd party to see your passport. So lets find a way round that gets the work done but does not expose an employee to risk.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Any more posts you want to make on something you obviously know very little about?"
    Is an actual reaction to my posts, so please don't rely on anything I say. :)
  • ValHaller
    Combo Breaker First Post
    andygb wrote: »
    There are many instances nowadays where you need to provide a copy of your passport to another party.
    If you became a client of a solicitors/accountants, then you would be required to provide this as part of the money laundering procedures. The same applies to setting up new bank accounts.
    Where money is concerned, this is pretty much a standard procedure.
    While true, this is totally irrelevant and probably symptomatic of the confusion which has brought about this problem.

OP does not want or need an account with this other company. Indeed, the account will belong to OP's employer. It is OP's employer which is subject to money laundering regulations and it is they whose credentials are needed.
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    OP just say no
  • scooby088 wrote: »
    OP just say no

Nice one Zammo.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income