Motoring conviction only a few days after car insurance renewal

Hi all,

I'm after advice.

I stupidly got myself a TS10 (traffic light offence) on my licence last year.

My insurance is due for renewal on the 18th Feb
The TS10 was issued on the 26th Feb

So if I renew my insurance on the 18th, the cost is, for arguments sake £500
If I were to take out my insurance on the 27th, the cost goes down to £400

Presumably because the anniversary of the offence has passed so it falls into a new risk bracket.

How should I proceed?

Should I take out insurance on the renewal date, then cancel it a week later and set up again?
(Is there a cancellation period standard on insurance policies where I wouldn't get penalised for doing this?)

Can I just leave my car on the drive uninsured for that period (still got tax obviously) and take it out for the 27th?

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I could be wrong but i thought insurance companies ask if theres been a conviction in the past 5 yrs .If thats the case you will have to declare it.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You could take out a short term policy for the 18th to 27th, then buy the full policy to start from 27th.
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    I could be wrong but i thought insurance companies ask if theres been a conviction in the past 5 yrs .If thats the case you will have to declare it.
    The OP will still declare it, just the price changes as the offence was over a year ago.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Smegreg wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm after advice.

I stupidly got myself a TS10 (traffic light offence) on my licence last year.

My insurance is due for renewal on the 18th Feb
    The TS10 was issued on the 26th Feb

So if I renew my insurance on the 18th, the cost is, for arguments sake £500
    If I were to take out my insurance on the 27th, the cost goes down to £400

Presumably because the anniversary of the offence has passed so it falls into a new risk bracket.

How should I proceed?

Should I take out insurance on the renewal date, then cancel it a week later and set up again?
    (Is there a cancellation period standard on insurance policies where I wouldn't get penalised for doing this?)

Can I just leave my car on the drive uninsured for that period (still got tax obviously) and take it out for the 27th?

I'd be grateful for any ideas.
    Assuming you are disclosing the conviction in both applications, then going uninsured for 9 days off the road shouldn't be an issue

Under the continuous insurance procedure you first get a letter advising you to insure, and only if you ignore that letter do you get a fixed penalty
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can leave it on your drive for a week uninsured if you like. Under the continuous insurance regulations you should really SORN it while it is uninsured, but if you don't it is unlikely that you will get into trouble over a few days - the first step in the enforcement process is a letter that says "insure it pronto or else" and only if it remains uninsured would further action be taken. Obviously no insurance means no cover for fire theft or vandalism do that's something you would need to be comfortable with.

Or you could cancel and ensure - but the large majority of policies will come with a cancellation fee of £50 or more so check the terms carefully. There are some misconceptions about a 14 day cooling off period but this does not give you a right to cancel for free - the insurer is still entitled to charge a fee to reflect the costs of seeing up and shutting down the policy.
  • Smegreg
    Smegreg Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aretnap wrote: »
    You can leave it on your drive for a week uninsured if you like. Under the continuous insurance regulations you should really SORN it while it is uninsured, but if you don't it is unlikely that you will get into trouble over a few days - the first step in the enforcement process is a letter that says "insure it pronto or else" and only if it remains uninsured would further action be taken. Obviously no insurance means no cover for fire theft or vandalism do that's something you would need to be comfortable with.

I didn't know anything about 'continuous insurance regulations' before. I assume SORN costs money also?

Aretnap wrote: »
    Or you could cancel and ensure - but the large majority of policies will come with a cancellation fee of £50 or more so check the terms carefully. There are some misconceptions about a 14 day cooling off period but this does not give you a right to cancel for free - the insurer is still entitled to charge a fee to reflect the costs of seeing up and shutting down the policy.

It was this 14 day cooling off period that I was thinking about. I was probably guilty of the misconceptions!

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I should research the actual cost of both options.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    SORN costs you only in terms of road tax.

If you sorned your car on Feb 18 and then unsorned it on say Feb 27th you'd have to pay tax twice for the month of February

But really not necessary to SORN for such a short period uninsured (though going uninsured does have its risks - any loss incurred eg fire/theft/unidentified third party damage is at your risk)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure