I'm useless

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Maybe you need to reconsider places that require customer interaction to reduce the number of daily contacts.

Tesco gets a fare share of tough customers even the night shift shelf stacker can get caught by Mr or Mrs not so nice.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I'm not some brat that came out of the school and expects mountains. I'm a normal girl, that just wants respect and a job where employers won't treat me like sh*t, so I've no idea, why some of say that I should look at myself. If people will cuss at me, I'll leave, because no matter how old I am, or how much experience I have, no one has the right to do that and life shouldn't be about going to work sad or depressed. Another thing is that I'll be going back to education, but I need money first.

What made me cry is people that are rude. I'm weak, because of my past, that's why I can't take negativity, but I'm trying as long as people don't go over the border. The only thing I wish for is a normal job, where I will feel happy.

I'm sorry Jessica, but you have just proven the point. You came here asking people for advice and you haven't liked all the advice you got so you choose to ignore it. Nobody called you a brat. But you are young and you are right out of school. You have no employment history to speak of. And you have already quit one job and are heading the same way on another. It's a lovely theory that everyone should be treated nicely and nobody should be rude. It's great that you think nobody should have to go to work unhappy. But the reality is that a lot of workplaces and employers don't agree with you. They don't change for you. And I regret to say that many, many people don't like going to work but spend their entire lives going anyway!

I'm not sure what you think is a "normal" job, but in the real world, low paid and low skilled jobs for school leavers are, more often than not, not dream jobs. And wherever you live, you are now competing with at least one, if not two more years of school leavers - they are coming out all bright eyed and ready to work, and you are a year or so behind with nothing to show but unemployment. And, add far as your employers go, something of an attitude.

If you quit this job because people are rude to you, how long do you think it will be before you are offered another one? Another year? longer? You have to deal with clients, and you don't get to tell customers how to behave. And pretty much everyone has done the "have to stay on later" sometimes or not be paid more for weekends or bank holidays (which is quite common now). And nobody ends up just doing what was in the job description or mentioned at interview. You see, pretty much all of these points are normal jobs to people here! This is the way it is. And you are just getting started in the world of work, but you expect it to meet your expectations instead of the other way around. That is not going to happen.

I'm not sure how you think Tescos will be any different. Customers might be rude, or they may be nasty. If you want to get on then you have to be willing to go an extra mile and not out of the door add the clock strikes the end of your shift. I am not sure about Tescos, but most supermarkets don't give you extra pay to work bank holidays these days. You work when you are told to work. And I can guarantee that you'll be asked to do stuff that isn't in the job description. Nor can you guarantee that all your managers will be nice to you. So you are going to have to learn coping strategies. You can't quit a job, any job, just because it doesn't suit you, and then expect to look attractive to employers as a great candidate. If you are NEET ( not in education, training or employment) for a period of a year, you are at a disadvantage with employers already - they are going to be wondering why you have never worked since you aren't in education or training. And you will be competing against people who have complete records to show, with no significant gaps.

So you really do need to make this job work until you get another one. Don't be bubbly and smiley. Be yourself. Get on with your work and remember that you are the new kid on the block - the other employees have existing relationships and it takes time to adjust to include the newbie. Most of your clients are not being angry at you - they annoyed about something that has happened, or something your employer has done. Or they are just being plain unreasonable. But you need to blank that out and do your job - it isn't personal, and it isn't about you. Just stick your head down and beaver away. Make work tolerable, if you can't make it great, until the good reference that you get for being such a great worker gets got a job you like better.

There's not many people who haven't had a st***y job or two. Some people are unlucky enough to never have anything else. But it is what it is, and you can't walk away every time someone is rude or you don't get what you want.
  • saker75
    saker75 Posts: 338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The OP reminds me of this Outnumbered scene https://youtu.be/dR2Sp6pkt-s
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    saker75 wrote: »
    The OP reminds me of this Outnumbered scene https://youtu.be/dR2Sp6pkt-s

:T

Oh dear.

People do swear, you just have to suck it up. Employers want people who turn up on time, who listen to feedback and use it to improve (as well as do the work etc). They also want staff who are able to follow orders and who don't answer back. The Tesco application form would have given you scenarios and asked you questions, right? Tesco would have used your replies to screen your application as they would want to see if you are able to be a 'team player' who follows orders. Unfortunately I get the impression that your replies to their questions weren't quite what they were looking for, sorry. Work isn't school where you can avoid anyone that you don't like and hang out with the nice people, you have to get along with everyone, whether they are a tw*t or not. Be polite, say 'hello', smile, do as you are asked and use feedback to help you to improve. Key tip - don't argue with your colleagues or your boss.
  • Oh Lordy, when I first hit the shop floor after leaving school, well to say my eyes were opened was an understatement

You are no longer a school child, you are a young adult working in an adult envoirment and there's a few places, such and shops, kitchens, resturaunts and bars, where niceties just don't exist. You hit the ground running and you are expected to ask how high when told to jump

You either catch on quick, realise it's not all about you, or get out and find a lovely PC envoirement where you are wrapped in cotton wool.

Unfortunately those are the jobs that everyone aims for and they take only the best of the best

When I started work, it wasn't unusual for pretty, young , innocent new starters to be sexually harassed as well as having to deal with everything else. It was wrong, but that was the culture back in the 70's. I'm sure there are many female contributors to this forum who can say they had to deal with sexual harassment from those days

Thankfully that's all legislated against. Not to say it still doesn't happen, but it's not as common place as it once was

If I had jacked in every job because a manager swore, or had a complete breakdown because of my perceived incompetence, or said or done something improper, my work record would be dire

Work places can be and usually are, very cliquey. It can take months and longer to no longer be the new person and to be excepted into the "clique". It's like being the new girl in a classroom of confirmed friends

You have to learn how to cope. You have to realise that no one person is out to make your life a misery , they have their targets, their bonuses, their promotions, and you are the bottom cog in the wheel getting them to where they want to be. They don't care about you,they aren't your friend or teacher. Their duty of care is to ensure you have a safe work place as defined by law. Swearing, no respect, treated like dirt, working late, working BH's and Sunday's, that comes with the territory

And if you think Tesco or Sainsbury's or anywhere else treats you better, think again
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Many school leavers come out with retail experience as they take on weekend or after school jobs, some will have pub/service experience as busy places take on under 18s to do the clearing up and food service.

Many that seem to end up in our supermarkets have done at least one summer or Xmas before

There also seems to be a pecking order
    Waitrose and Tesco seem to take on the grammar school kids Morrisons and Sainsbury the others, not sure about Asda it is quite a small one.
  • OP - you should have edited your thread title rather then delete your post.

You are not useless - rather destined for brighter things.

I know people who spent 10..20 years + at Mr T which took them into their 40's to realise their worth and get a full time job - why would you want it?
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2017 at 9:15AM
    I'm not some brat that came out of the school and expects mountains. I'm a normal girl, that just wants respect and a job where employers won't treat me like sh*t, so I've no idea, why some of say that I should look at myself. If people will cuss at me, I'll leave, because no matter how old I am, or how much experience I have, no one has the right to do that and life shouldn't be about going to work sad or depressed. Another thing is that I'll be going back to education, but I need money first.

Hey Jessica, welcome to real life :)

I wouldn't go so far to call you a brat, but you kind of do seem to be expecting mountains!

I'll let you in on a little secret. There are lots of people out there who struggle to get into half decent jobs despite having DEGREES and years of experience! Typically, but not always, these are you best ways of getting such a job:

1. The smarts/education geared around specifically what you want to do

2. A friend/family member who works in that field/company.

3. Influence (for example money)

For those who don't meet that bill, you may need to start off in McDonalds or Primark where the level of respect given is fairly limited.

Awesome that you going back into education! I worked part time in a bookmakers to fund my degree.... It was funny because due to my hours they had me working "on relief" across 20+ shops in Liverpool... One day I might have been working in Huyton (very rough round there, lots of armed robberies too) and another in Wavertree (quite rough but not as bad). Was a real pain in the !!!! because of the excessive travel. One might say that they were not really treating me with respect ;) But hey ho, it was money in the bank! Late Edit: Oh and people I worked with had a habit of stealing money from the till and blaming it on me!! I got a disciplinary for that as well, but the head office finally cottoned on and realised that it was actually the other people!

Oh and life shouldn't be about chemical gas attacks in Syria or terrorist bombers blowing people up, but it happens.. So your comment "life shouldn't be about going to work sad or depressed" kind of pales in comparison :) Would much rather drag my bum into work all sad and depressed than run the risk of having my leg blown off by an IED each day ;)
    What made me cry is people that are rude. I'm weak, because of my past, that's why I can't take negativity, but I'm trying as long as people don't go over the border. The only thing I wish for is a normal job, where I will feel happy.

Well, you need professional help if you have mental health issues relating to your past.

Oh, and maybe live by the following motto:

Work to live, not live to work.

Derive happiness from outside of work until you can gain qualifications which lead to work which you enjoy.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    I failed the Tesco aptitude online test about 13 years ago for a Saturday job :(

God I feel old now!!
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    It would appear that the OP quit because we were being "rude", i.e. not telling her what she wanted to hear. I hope she hears the message eventually, but I doubt it. I suspect that something similar happened at school - her suggestion that she was going back to education after she had saved enough money didn't really make any sense, since she is at the only age when that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to do, and there are a plethora of educational and training opportunities. If she's still reading this - go to college, or get an apprenticeship. You can't "delete your post" every time the world doesn't treat you as you want it to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure