The Story of My Situation

Options
2»

Comments

• dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    LJB290 wrote: »

The claims management company are taking on a large number of cases affected by Highbridge on a no-win-no fee basis. We do have an upfront fee to pay but it is minimal and we think, worth the risk at this point.

Firstly there aren't any magic wands, secondly, anything they can do by writing a few letters you can do yourself with help and guidance from people on here. I would really advise against throwing good money after bad.
    You can sort this out but you need to be taking advice from the 'right' places (such as National Debtline or Stepchange).

df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • LJB290
    LJB290 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    I have written countless letters and have taken advice from various debt help-lines and a couple of fee solicitors.
    They don't really seem to grasp the whole story to be honest.

The claims management co and solicitors that they have on board will have more "clout" and know who to target etc. The fees for this are minimal and won't have an impact on our finances.
    We think it is a worth a shot as I have exhausted my research and letter writing - I would prefer to hand it over to people who (hopefully) know what they are doing.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What about engaging the services of one of the debt charities such as Payplan or Stepchange ?.

You could begin a DMP with all the debts (except the mortgage) added to it.
    Doing this has the advantage that you will have to produce an SoA but you can tell them you smoke & drink (even if you don't) in order to allow you to reduce the amount you will have to pay each month.

This will extend your pay-back period, but will allow you to live a normal life.

Once you have paid-off your mortgage, you can use this extra money to increase your DMP payments.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• LJB290
    Options
    I will certainly keep this in mind moving forward...... it does seem to be a sensible idea but......

How do DMP's affect you in daily life? Applying for a mortgage or loans etc? I don't think we will need either of these (but you never know).....

2 of our credit card debts are being managed without ever being defaulted so I wouldn't want to upset the lenders by using a DMP. I assume we would lose access to these cards if we entered a DMP?????

The other 2 cards are the defaulted ones that were sold to Highbridge. One DCA has not contacted us for several years and the other one is being paid £1 per month at the moment for up to 18 months (summer 2016). We are hoping to then be in a position to offer F&F settlement.

Should I really upset the apple cart at this time with DMP's - especially when we are reducing the balance of the two "good" cards each month and the others are quiet?
  • cmac
    cmac Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    What about using section 75 as you paid on credit card? I don't know if this would work, I'm no expert, maybe someone else knows. Good luck with it all
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 January 2017 at 1:17AM
    Options
    cmac wrote: »
    What about using section 75 as you paid on credit card? I don't know if this would work, I'm no expert, maybe someone else knows. Good luck with it all

Unfortunately this thread is 18 months old, and the OP never came back to update us further.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • cmac
    cmac Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't look at the date, thanks for letting me know
  • LJB290
    Options
    More than 2 years later......

We are still waiting on the claims management company, although our case (along with many others in the same boat with the Highbridge scheme) is currently sitting with the Financial Ombudsman Service for a decision and has been for many many months.
    There is a whole raft of evidence about the unsavory characters who ran this scheme so we are hoping for some positive outcome .... one day!

Credit Card 1 (referenced above) - is still sleeping and we have heard nothing since around Dec 2012. We defaulted payment (when transferred to Highbridge) in October 2012 and have not claimed the debt is ours or made any payment since then. There are no CCJ's on the credit report so we are hoping that this becomes statute barred in a few weeks from now (although we cant be sure that HIghbridge never contacted them about the debt - we doubt it).

Credit card 2 - now with Link is ongoing and we continue to pay £1 pm until such time as we are in the position to offer a F&F settlement.

As it happens, my credit rating was pretty good and I transferred all other debts to 0% cards for 4 years and we are making decent dents. The cards are not used for payments of any kind.

The mortgage is paid off in less than 12 months and we will be throwing most of this extra money at out debts for 2 years which means we will be pretty much debt free in 2019.

There is a light.......
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You might want to post an SOA, so the members can suggest ways, to increase the cash available to service the Mortgage and other debts.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Brilliant to get an update on this one! Sounds like headway is being made anyway - and well done for having the end of the mortgage in sight!

** Other posters - please be aware that the start of this thread dates back to 2015! **
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business