The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

what price for patio door

2»

Comments

• We had our sliding patio door replaced with French doors a year ago and have been very pleased with the result. There was no mess or damage to the decor, we went for the white inside/woodgrain outside finish, and the cost was £920 for a 1760mm wide opening from a local company who were recommended to us.
  • david69_2
    david69_2 Posts: 580 Forumite
    MrsE wrote: »
    French doors look great in a big opening. I think what you mean is patio doors are easier to get for a small opening (you can buy them off the peg, whereas big ones you can't).

Mine are 7 foot & look great, fantastic thrown wide open in the summer.
    No i meant what i said sliding patios in an opening of 5ft ish is too small
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have a look at the comments here & the ones we've just fitted.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=595015&highlight=anglian

There's a link to our project in our post, there. We wanted French doors for the bedroom, but there wouldn't be a good clearence, onto the balcony, if we had them,

No need to go to a no-name company, when you can get Anglian to 'do a deal'!!

VB
  • I changed my aluminium framed patio door to upvc french doors/windows last year and have to say that even though Ihave had a few teething probs they do look a heck of a lot nicer, I have gone for the same as someone else on here white inside and brown outside. There wasn't really any disruption to the decor, it was more a case of needing a good hoovering after the work was done. I'm hoping to move this year so I'm looking forward to seeing how much I've increased the house price by (I changed all the windows and doors at the same time).
  • kdmbudd
    kdmbudd Posts: 16 Forumite
    Hi

We are currently in the process of buying a property partly renovated 1700 house with new extention which doubles the size of the property. There are already french doors in the old part of the house but we have been told that originally they were going to put french doors in the new part out of the dining room.

This means that there is a wide lintel where there is now just a window. We have asked the renovator for a quote for him to put in the new french doors and he has said 2k. He has also offered to do the work between exhange and completion, as we are buying the property without kitchens, bathrooms and flooring, then it would mean we could get straight on with these when we complete.

I feel that I would like to get him to do the work, but just want to check that it is a reasonable amount and he is not ripping us off!

The walls are stone and as I said the lintel is already in place. Any thoughts?
  • kdmbudd
    kdmbudd Posts: 16 Forumite
    just to confirm he would do all the work including purchasing doors etc for that price and making good external render and internal plastering
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    kdmbudd wrote: »
    just to confirm he would do all the work including purchasing doors etc for that price and making good external render and internal plastering

I can't remember how much my labour was, I think it was about £600-£700. I bought the doors myself.
  • I would think about getting french doors instead, there much more modern
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Personally, I prefer sliding patio doors, they can be left just slightly ajar for ventilation, they do not need pinning back all of the time like french doors.

To each his/her own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport