Disability Premium -who qualifies?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Andy054 wrote: »
    If am on incapacity benefit long term rate, can I claim disability premium on top of my incapacity benefit?

I do not currently claim income support, I presume I will have to ring up and make a claim for income support to receive disability premium.

I also have been on incapacity benefit long term rate for over a year, so if I do qualify for disability premium will it be back dated?

Do you have any other household income, or capital over £6,000?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Salfordian wrote: »
    There are two premiums, both paid to people on Income Support:

1. Disability Premium, payable to any Income Support customer who receives DLA, or who has been sick for over 1 year.

2. Severe Disability Premium (SDP) (currently equivalent to £2600 per year), payable only to Income Support customers who are on DLA at the Middle or Higher Rate Care Component . There are other criteria you need to meet, including living alone, or treated as living alone, or living with others on DLA Middle or Higher Rate Care Component. Another criteria is that you must not have a carer receiving Carer's Allowance for caring for you.

To ensure you are recieving what you are entitled to:

1. Claim Income Support.
    2. Make sure Income Support are aware you are on DLA, and the rates you are on. For the SDP, ask for an IS10 form.

am i right in reading the about that i am entitled to spd? at the moment i get £65.45is and £28 for being sick or disabled, but i have been getting hrm since october, and if i am correct does that mean i will get it back dated to october 09 (had to go to an appeal to get dla) or not? anyone, also how do i go about claiming it assuming i can!! thanks steph
  • Andy054
    Andy054 Posts: 10 Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Do you have any other household income, or capital over £6,000?

"Do you have any other household income, or capital over £6,000?"

No.
  • dmg24
    stephan1e wrote: »
    am i right in reading the about that i am entitled to spd? at the moment i get £65.45is and £28 for being sick or disabled, but i have been getting hrm since october, and if i am correct does that mean i will get it back dated to october 09 (had to go to an appeal to get dla) or not? anyone, also how do i go about claiming it assuming i can!! thanks steph

The £28 (£27.50) is the Disability Premium.
    "Do you have any other household income, or capital over £6,000?"

No.

I forgot to ask - do you receive the age addition on your IB? If your total IB is not more than £91.80 (assuming no DLA entitlement) then you will be entitled to IS. If you do receive DLA, post back and let us know which rate you receive.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Andy054
    Andy054 Posts: 10 Forumite
    "I forgot to ask - do you receive the age addition on your IB? If your total IB is not more than £91.80 (assuming no DLA entitlement) then you will be entitled to IS. If you do receive DLA, post back and let us know which rate you receive."

Yes I get:

IB £91.40
    Age Addition £15.00

But it say's on the Direct Gov website if you are aged under 60 and receive Incapacity Benefit - long term rate, you may also get the disability premium.
  • salfordian is totally correct
  • to get the DP, you'd need to be getting either Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based). The DP isn't something thats available for those on a contibutory benefit or ESA Income Related. There are other premiums available on ESA, but the DP isn't one of them. You have to qualify for DLA to be considered. (mid or high rate only, i think)
  • dmg24
    "I forgot to ask - do you receive the age addition on your IB? If your total IB is not more than £91.80 (assuming no DLA entitlement) then you will be entitled to IS. If you do receive DLA, post back and let us know which rate you receive."

Yes I get:

IB £91.40
    Age Addition £15.00

But it say's on the Direct Gov website if you are aged under 60 and receive Incapacity Benefit - long term rate, you may also get the disability premium.

Assuming you do not receive DLA, you will not qualify for the DP on IS, and therefore you do not qualify for IS. The age addition takes you over the relevant amount.
    Isn't the difference because one person has paid NI and the other not?

Yes, however some that are in receipt of IB will also qualify for IS.
    to get the DP, you'd need to be getting either Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based). The DP isn't something thats available for those on a contibutory benefit or ESA Income Related. There are other premiums available on ESA, but the DP isn't one of them. You have to qualify for DLA to be considered. (mid or high rate only, i think)

This is partially correct. Those in receipt of IB (Contributions Based) could also qualify for IS and the Disability Premium. You do not have to qualify for DLA, long term IB entitlement also entitles a claimant to the DP. DLA entitlements may entitle the claimant to further premiums on IS.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • fair enough. i've mainly dealt with JSA and ESA. i didn't know that you could get a dp due to the length of time on IB. Every day is a school day!

I knew that dla entitlement can entitle the claimant to further premiums though!
  • dmg24
    fair enough. i've mainly dealt with JSA and ESA. i didn't know that you could get a dp due to the length of time on IB. Every day is a school day!

I knew that dla entitlement can entitle the claimant to further premiums though!

The various premiums are explained here.
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport